UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> Berkey Water Filter - Plastic or Stainless Steal?

12/21/09 9:03 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
SirPrize
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/22/09 10:55 AM

Who of you own a Berkey water filter/purifier?

I have decided to buy one, along with the PF-2 filters. (You need the PF-2 filter to remove flouride, arsenic, and heavy metals such as lead and mercury.)

If you own a Berkey, do you own the plastic "Berkey Light", or one of the stainless steel models like the "Big Berkey"? Other than looks, what are the differences?

I think the plastic would be lighter in weight, and I would be able to check the water level easier. The steel one would be heavier, but more durable. Am I missing anything?

Also, which size do you have? Do you wish you'd gotten a larger or smaller one? Why or why not?

How long can you leave the water in the bottom collection unit before it starts to get "funky"? A week?
12/22/09 12:39 PM
rolijuju
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good thread. I am curious too. can someone give me a run down on water filters. I have been looking at them at safecastelroyal.com
12/22/09 5:34 PM
SirPrize
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This site has some good info about Berkey, if you can get past the 80's-style layout.
1/19/10 8:33 PM
Atomic Douchebag
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Learn the difference between black "absorbers" and the white ceramic "filters" only one should ever be purchased. The ceramic candle filters are the best, the black absorbers will be useless in an emergency where you have to filter crappy water from streams and lakes. The absorbers will clog with crap, the ceramic filters will be fine after a simple cleaning with a 3M green scrubbie pad. You cannot scrub an absorber clean and expect to use it again, it will clog up and be useless. Ever listen to those ads on internet radio crowing about the Berkey black filters? Then the disclaimer at the end saying that the filters cannot be sold in Iowa. When you find out why, you will spot the tricky language they use in their ads.

Get a Doulton or berkey, or a fucking big food grade container of your choosing, drill a hole in the bottom and mount your CERAMIC filters. But make sure you are using the ceramic filters, white. Not the absorbers, black.

Survival Enterprises has the best prices I have seen so far on the Doulton line and filters. If anyone has better prices, please post it here...

I have two of the big Doultons, stainless. I have the big plastic food grade one. I have 5 of the stainless portable little ones. They all rock because they all have the ceramic filters, not that useless black shit!!!!
1/20/10 5:28 PM
SirPrize

Crap. I already ordered my Berkey with the black filters. I hope I can swap in the ceramic ones. Maybe I'll use the black ones for normal use, but keep a set of ceramic ones for "extreme" situations.

That's great info, though! Thanks!
1/25/10 3:20 PM
LakerGirl
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How many gallons can the ceramics filter? Berkey says the black ones can filter up to 3000 gallons, assuming it would be closer to 2500, thats still close to a gallon/day for seven years.
1/28/10 3:51 PM
SirPrize

I saw a video a few days ago that show how to clean the black filters. The guy used a scrub pad, so I don't see how that will differ from the ceramic ones. My order came in a few days ago. I'll report back after I pick it up.

I went with the stainless steel, by the way. Berkey Filters is giving free upgrades from the Big Berkey to the Royal Berkey (steel). I plan to put it in my pantry, so the looks aren't an issue. Plus, I figure it's more durable. I also read that some people had problem attaching and unattaching the top/bottom of the plastic system.
3/29/10 11:13 AM
flexman

Edited: 03/29/10 11:13 AM
Hey Sirprize - How did those black berkey filters work out? I just ordered a berkey water filter with 4 filters and I'm pretty excited about it. They've been sending alot of these to Haiti and Chile, so I would assume they're re-cleaning them down there.
6/9/10 5:34 PM
SirPrize

Sorry for the late reply.

I love my Berkey! I use it for drinking water, cooking, and making ice (old school trays), etc - anything where I consume water.

It has a huge tank, so I can go several days before having to refill it. One trick I learned is to use the hose from the kitchen sink. I use masking tape to tape the button down, put the hose at the top of the tank, hold it in place with the lid, and turn it on. This way I can do other things while it fills. (It can take awhile, and I got tired of doing it with pitures.) Just make sure you don't forget about it. :D

I haven't tried cleaning them yet or using pond water. I know there was a video on how to clean them, but don't take that as gosple. I need to look into it, and maybe buy a set of white ceramics, just in case.

Oh, yeah. I also bought the extra filter that filters out flouride, heavy metals (lead, mercury, etc), and some other stuff. NOTHING is getting past my filter. :)

I may even buy a smaller Travel Berkey someday - something for a bugout bag.
4/27/12 2:08 AM
blushgirl412
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

4L
5/28/12 9:36 PM
Incindio
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Check out the filters made by Sawyer. These look to be very nice.

http://www.sawyer.com/water.html
6/3/12 2:11 PM
vegasdolphin
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT
7/17/12 3:09 AM
vegasdolphin
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT
8/31/12 6:35 PM
LakerGirl

I own the Big Berkey. Something about plastic just seems cheap. Ive had it for a year and a half. 1 regret, not getting a bigger model. I have to fill it everyday. Not sure which model, but I believe it is the 3 gallon. However, you ahve to take into consideration the bottoms of both sections. Both retain a decent amount of water, roughly 1/2 gallon total.

I bought mine 1.5 years ago and love it. I still buy some water, but tons less than before. It has easily paid for itself.

As far as seeing when to fill it, thats unnecessary. You will quickly be able to pick up on the sound and flow to tell what level your water is at.

If I were to buy again I would do a few things different.

A. Buy the biggest one.
B. Record the filter date and try to keep a tally of gallons filtered. Its hard to keep track after a year+.
C. Consider the floride filters as well.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.