UnderGround Forums

NHLGround >> Who's The Best Fighter In Hockey???

12/22/09 1:49 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mike_Souza
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who do you think is the bst fighter in hockey past or present?
12/22/09 1:50 PM
Mike_Souza

I think by the end of his career Milan Lucic will be known a the toughest player in NHL history. This dude is such a beast. He doesn't just fight he demolishes.
12/23/09 1:23 AM
RKing85
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the puckdaddy blog on the yahoo site had the top 10 hockey fights of the decade on yahoo the other day. good stuff.
12/23/09 5:54 PM
PR
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RKing85 - the puckdaddy blog on the yahoo site had the top 10 hockey fights of the decade on yahoo the other day. good stuff.

Thats a great blog
12/23/09 7:38 PM
Mike_Souza

if ur on Facebook join the group "Fight Nation"
12/24/09 4:12 PM
RKing85
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have really been enjoying these "top 10 of the decade" posts over the last two months from puckdaddy
12/28/09 12:38 AM
CRBMoney14

Rick Rypien
12/28/09 11:21 AM
ceezarthebadguy
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Milan Lucic toughest in NHL history?

Seriously?

He rarely throws down with a heavy and when he does, he gets beat. Ivanans, Erskine, Boulton...

He's a big skilled guy who can fight, but he's by no means the toughest guy on his own team, let alone in the entire league.

Shawn Thornton would wreck Lucic.
1/8/10 11:19 PM
I'm Dyxeslic
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zdeno Chara although he never fights. Almost killed Lecavalier a few years ago, and Vinny is a big guy.

I'd say Laracque but he never fights anymore
1/15/10 12:45 PM
PJ Benn Fan
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Minnesota has a guy John Scott who 6'8 almost 260. Pretty sure hes not a scorer. He beat the shit out of some Canuck player the other night.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=6011
1/18/10 4:40 PM
billyzane

Mcgratton is a bad dude as well...

I've never seen Laraque lose a fight though...but as someone else stated he rarely fights anymore.
2/6/10 10:31 PM
glassman

Sorry, Lucic is a tough power forward but is not even top 25 in the NHL. He has big wins over guys who do not make their living fighting, and has been called a spot picker for avoiding the NHL heavyweights (I don't agree as it is not his job and will shorten his NHL career-see Wendel Clark).

The NHL's Best fighter is tough to say right now. No clear champ. My top 3 would be:

Boogard (Minnesota: Great size (260+)with great reach, plays and fights with nasty edge, very hard puncher, okay defense, never takes the big loss.

Orr (Toronto):Best KO power in NHL (no contest), probably hardest puncher since Joey Kocur.Most feared in NHL to go toe-to-toe. Poor defense, leaves his chin out and does not tie up well. Takes some big losses as well as big wins. Most entertaining and feared heavyweight.

Belak (Nashville): Big win over Brashear recently. Does not fight as often as other heavies. Very good defense, uses Tie Domi's spinerama move to keep opponents off balance. Does not have KO power and rarely goes toe-to-toe since Orr broke his nose a few seasons ago.

Scott in Minnesota has great reach, but I want to see him take some shots from some seasoned NHL heavies to see if he is game. He is a US college guy with probably 1/10 the career fights that a guy like Boogard or Orr have (both played junior hockey in Western Canada since age 16). Guy he demolished on Vancouver was outweighed by 80+ pounds and was not a fighter.

Laracque recently released by Montreal. Tough guy but doesn't seem to have fighter mentality anymore.
2/7/10 7:05 AM
PR
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol Orr having the best KO power... actually you seem to have good knowledge of the NHL fighters... I will defer to you. Really, Orr? Can you explain why you think that?
2/7/10 8:50 PM
glassman

Edited: 02/07/10 8:53 PM
PR IMO several reasons:

1. History of knockdowns and knockouts. E.g. Todd Fedoruk ex-Philli heavyweight. Ate one Orr right-knocked out cold 3 plates in his face- he rarely fights for Tampa Bay now. Wade Belak-excellent fighter-broken nose after Orr right.Matt Carkner TKO earlier this year and KO last night. Several other knockdowns in NHL and TKO's in minor league/junior career.

2. Avoidance. His fight card includes mainly only other heavyweights.A lot of tough guys avoid him like the plague. Usually the only fights he has are with other top 10-15 heavyweights. Other heavyweights will sometime have fights with power forwards and light heavyweights.

3. Strategy of other enforcers. In most of his fights his opponents try to clinch and tie up immediately so they can avoid his right. Even guys known as toe-to-toe fighters get defensive and start to clinch and grapple. If you study fights you will also see guys bail when his right gets loose and take a knee or pull him to the ice (like BJJ guys trying to pull guard against good strikers).

I am not saying he is the best fighter in the league as he has little defense (but has a good chin), doesn't tie up and grapple well and will take a lot of losses. Most NHL fights are short and do not feature big knockouts due to the difficulty of generating force on skates. All of his fights have the POTENTIAL for a big KO.

A lot of the fighters in the league today do not go toe-to-toe like the guys in the 80's. Laraque is a great fighter, but he mauls and overpowers people then goes for the big takedown (IMO best Judo throws of any fighter). Brashear gets in tight and throws short shots that probably sting but are not KO shots. Only guy I can think of with similar power is Boogard in Minnesota.

Orr reminds me of a bigger Joey Kocur. Kocur was never the best fighter in the NHL, but he was the most feared. Kocur's won-loss record is nowhere near Bob Proberts or Dave Browns but he did a lot more damage to people than they did.
2/8/10 5:32 AM
PR

Good stuff glassman
2/8/10 10:19 PM
CRBMoney14

Orr got dropped clean tonight
2/9/10 6:17 AM
PR

CRBMoney14 - Orr got dropped clean tonight

2/9/10 10:45 PM
glassman

Definite TKO for Shelley in an upset. Like I said Orr's defense is poor and he gets lit up every now and again, especially from guys with longer reach. He definitely has a few losses this year to guys he should beat like Hordichuk and Shelley, but his fights are always exciting and not the hugfest you see a lot of these days.

He was clocked while he was trying to shake his elbow pad. A few more of those and his career is going to be pretty short.
2/16/10 6:33 AM
JSam238
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cam Jansen
2/17/10 6:29 PM
scowy

The thing I really don't like about big george and Im no expert but it seems like a lot of times if he isn't just dominating he wrestles the guy to the ice
2/19/10 2:23 AM
Spankenstyne
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/19/10 2:24 AM
Nice breakdown glassman. I might not agree completely but you make a well thought out argument & great points.

There are a lot of good fighters now, which is fun to watch. There doesn't seem to be a clear top guy though but guys like Boogy, McGrattan & Godard are in the equation & probably my vote for top 3 heavies atm. Belak isn't far off. I agree we need to see Scott fight more first but what a beast.
I love watching guys like Orr, Carcillo & Rypien fight it's almost always entertaining & they usually surprise. Ripper vs Janssen was great. Ryp impressed with a messed up wrist & busted up Cam in a pretty even scrap.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZQ4ieaLCbI

Thankfully it doesn't happen here really, but elsewhere It's too bad some folks get too carried away with who their personal favourite is and try to put down other scrappers, as if it makes their argument better.. The thing is most of the better fighters can take each other out on any given day. I try not to put too much stock into individual fights, they all know who's capable & sometimes guys have injuries & so on. Much respect to the guys that go for it and don't try to just tie people up. 
3/1/10 3:50 PM
yusul
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

john kordic. he demolished everyone. fastest hands i ever saw in the nhl. toughest goalie of all time; felix potvin. he lit up hextall.
3/7/10 8:15 PM
glassman

Lucic actually fought Orr last week (couldn't believe it nearly fell of my chair as Lucic was the aggressor-I love the way Lucic plays but he isn't known for taking on the heavies). Lucic was winning early and nearly had Orr's sweater over his head. Orr got set and cracked Lucic with about three clear shots to the face-one of which broke Lucic's nose. (He has been wearing a visor since) Orr broke his nose with a straight left which is suprising since most guys try to tie up his right as he has way more power in his right. Lucic bailed after getting tagged and wanted no more of the fight and let the linesman get in between them.

Still not saying Orr is the champ (he fights too wide open and loses too many fights to ever have the best W-L record), but I think he is the most feared. He has also broken Belak's nose (which totally changed his wide open style to a more defensive style)Godard's nose 2X plus several other TKO and KO's.

If Orr can beat Brashear (who he is about 0-5 with) and Boogard he may be able to claim the title. Godard is up there too though-I think he is the most underrated fighter in the league. McGratton has a better W-L record than Orr but does not have the power. Belak is tough but IMO uses the Tie Domi spinerama and jersey grab-jab to avoid exchanging. As a big hockey fight fan and living in Toronto Belak totally changed his style from wide open exchanges to defensive grappling and spinning after Orr broke his nose (A Toronto newspaper even had a piece on him working on fighting with Domi in practice). The thing with hockey fighting is there are about 25 guys who can beat even KO each other on any given night. It's like MMA nobody ever stays unbeaten.
3/13/10 4:50 AM
MolsonMuscles
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bob Probert - the consensus heavyweight champ during a pretty violent decade (mid-to-late 80s). Any discussion about all-time great fighters has to include him. 

Chris Simon - in his prime with Quebec/Colorado, he was probably the toughest fighter I've ever seen. While I recall a few close fights, I can't remember him ever losing a fight during his Avalanche days.

John Ferguson - hands down, the all-time best P4P. Probably never weighed more than 200 lbs. (tops) yet was as feared as any fighter in hockey's most brutal era. Was the NHL's first legitimate "enforcer".    

Gordie Howe - yes, THAT Gordie Howe. In a time when almost all of hockey's biggest stars (Richard, Lindsay, Schmidt, etc.) dropped the gloves on a regular basis Howe was as tough as they came. His legendary beatdown of renowned scrapper Lou Fontinato is still considered one of the most one-sided fights in hockey history.
3/24/10 3:54 AM
Anarkeen

pound for pound the toughest fighter in the NHL these days is Rick Rypien...

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.