UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Don Frye retires

12/24/09 10:20 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
913 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

“I’m pretty much quitting MMA. I’ve had enough of the (expletive). I’m done with it,” announced Frye. “The competitive urges still flow through me, but I’m tired of the (expletive) of the promoters.

“I’m tired of the (expletive) treatment, being lied to and tired of getting bounced checks from people. They can go pound sand as far as I’m concerned.”

With his announcement, Frye joins Quinton “Rampage” Jackson as fighters who’ve decided to make acting their main occupation. And Frye is working hard to become better at it.

“I’m taking acting lessons up in Scottsdale from Peter Stelzer and his wife, Marla Finn. They’re putting up with me enough to take my money and correct my stupidity,” chuckled Frye.

“It’s hard work. It’s not like you just stand there in front of the camera, make faces and read lines – you’ve got to put effort into it.”

As Frye puts it, acting is a respectful profession, unlike what he feels MMA has become.

“The fight game isn’t a respectful profession any more,” he stated. “They’ve made a mockery out of it by letting Jose Canseco fight, and now Hershel Walker, and all these other jackasses in their 40’s who have never fought.

“They’re getting paid more than the guys who have been putting years into it. It’s an embarrassment and a shame.”

read entire article...

12/24/09 10:24 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Card
1798 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

E0j1hy
12/24/09 10:27 AM
McSluggaCrackedMySkull
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Keep catching a glimpse of Frye jumping out of a car in some AT&T commercial

If this was a just world Dana would dump tons of money on Frye for a monthly Dear Don segment
12/24/09 10:28 AM
HYBRID JON
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Always liked Frye... no nonsense, old-school,  salty mother fucker
12/24/09 10:31 AM
Zedlepln
226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana really should put together a Legends show or series or documentary of some sort, both for the UFC and for Pride.

12/24/09 10:34 AM
JDjitsu
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HYBRID JON -  Always liked Frye... no nonsense, old-school,  salty mother fucker

you took the words right out of my mouth. Don used to be my favorite fighter. He's like the Ted Nugent of mma.
12/24/09 10:39 AM
Racer X
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JDjitsu - 
HYBRID JON -  Always liked Frye... no nonsense, old-school,  salty mother fucker

you took the words right out of my mouth. Don used to be my favorite fighter. He's like the Ted Nugent of mma.

These two posts about sum it up for me as well.
12/24/09 10:39 AM
WaltJ
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/24/09 10:42 AM
Congratulations to THE PREDATOR for a good career and being one of the first true MIXED martial artists I ever saw.

His victory over Tank back in the day was awesome.

Like I said, along with Marco Ruas, he was one of the first guys I remembered seeing who really had a well-rounded MMA game in the early going.

12/24/09 10:40 AM
Whambo
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

was watching Public enemies the other day, and was surprised when I saw Don. All the best to him.
12/24/09 10:45 AM
FortyKoatz

Don frye is one of the coolest motherfuckers out there. how can you not love this guy!
12/24/09 10:59 AM
The Destroyer88

Edited: 12/24/09 11:01 AM
 His fight with Takayama is still one of the craziest slugfests I've ever seen in any combat sport.

I still remember his staredown with James Thompson too, all I could say was HO LE SHIT!

12/24/09 11:00 AM
Steve4192
199 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haole -  damn, he just shot on Japan and Shitfarce - old man seems to be coming around on his perception of Zuffa who he had previously shit on verbally

I love Don Frye, but his claim of MMA being 'honorable' in the good old days seems to reveal some selective memory on his part. 

There was plenty of fight fixing going on in both the UFC and Pride in those 'honorable' days and Pride in particular pulled a lot of shady stuff in order to put gaijin fighters at a disadvantage.  There were also plenty of freakshows who were getting paid big bucks despite not having much in the way of skills.  Hell, Pride was built on the back of one of those freakshows (Takada).  The UFC wasn't much better back in the 'good old days', what with having to run away from the law and hold events in backwater towns like Dothan, Bay St. Louis, and Lake Charles.

I for one am glad Don is retiring.  I die a little inside every time one of the legends of the sport gets absolutely obliterated, and Don was getting sparked with regularity lately.  I can only hope that guys like Kerr, Shamrock and Sakuraba follow his lead.
12/24/09 11:01 AM
Crazy Zimmerman
153 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You know the guy is bad ass when he can use the phrase "go pound sand" and make it sound tough.

Don Frye needs to be in the UFC HOF pronto!
12/24/09 11:05 AM
Kostakio
386 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don Frye was my favorite fighter until he started juicing.

Sorry, it had to be said.
12/24/09 11:09 AM
big fatso
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don Frye was defintitely my favorite fighter of that era (before weight classes that started at UFC XII)!!

A true fucking legend.
12/24/09 11:10 AM
Crazy Zimmerman
153 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

During Frye's UFC days, there was a new monster in every UFC.  Awesome time to be a fan.
12/24/09 11:13 AM
Kostakio
386 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree, Garv. But Frye seemed to be one of the first well-rounded fighters to burst onto the scene. He could obviously wrestle but he was also a pretty good boxer. If the weight classes that exist now existed then, he would likely have been the Light Heavyweight champion back then, imo.
12/24/09 11:16 AM
big fatso
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He always wanted that victory over Mark Coleman. I wanted him to get it, too. He even juiced to try to get an edge, but came up short in the rematch.

:(
12/24/09 11:19 AM
Crazy Zimmerman

Kostakio - I agree, Garv. But Frye seemed to be one of the first well-rounded fighters to burst onto the scene. He could obviously wrestle but he was also a pretty good boxer. If the weight classes that exist now existed then, he would likely have been the Light Heavyweight champion back then, imo.

Absolutey.  His hands matched his skills on the ground.  The beatdown he put on Bittetti, man that must still hurt.
12/24/09 11:22 AM
THEVanillaGodzilla

Said it before, and I will say it again; Masters Division.
It does not even have to be official or have a title. Rather than feed the legends of the sport to today's elite, give us some of yesterday's dream matches that we never got.
12/24/09 11:24 AM
Humboldt JuiJitsu
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

**standing ovation**

Don Frye - one of the last true gunslingers. 
12/24/09 11:28 AM
perfy
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don Frye is past his prime and it is time he hung it up. Looks like his acting career is doing pretty good and he'll make far mroe money in that industry. I would like ot see him as a MMA commentator though.

Msaters Division is a bad idea, do we really need to see these guys take more punishment. They've had their success and to make a special division is a bit of an insult. You don't see other sporting organizations have over 40 divisions. Sometimes you just have to know when the sport has passed you by and you can no longer be competitive.
12/24/09 11:44 AM
BaddKarma

Frye is awesome!

The beating he gave to Bitteti was legendary.
12/24/09 11:51 AM
Misedukatd
236 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don Frye was the first guy I saw in MMA that I actually rooted for. The rest of the early UFC matches were basically a curiousity to me; I loved them, but I was more interested in seeing how they panned out than actually pulling for one guy or another.

12/24/09 11:51 AM
McSluggaCrackedMySkull

Should at least use the old vets for TUF or something like it if they can't find a way to involve them in the shows.  How cool would it be to learn some ground and pound from Frye, or some BJJ from Royce, wrestling with Severn, etc.. 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.