UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Molcajete!

12/28/09 8:13 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Pito Chueco
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Scored one for Christmas. Always wanted one.

Seasoned it yesterday, first attempt at salsa was spot on.

Gonna try some traditional stuff next
12/30/09 10:54 PM
alpo
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just can't get into some of those old hand tools, man.  Give me a food processor anyday.  More power to you, though.  Still, there's something to be said for the process and the tradition.  I make my tortillas from scratch. 
12/31/09 11:19 AM
Pito Chueco
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, my mind changed a few weeks back. I was in Mexico, and and a waiter did a table side salsa in a molcajete.

I think of myself as a salsa connisuer of sorts, and am always making different ones. This was by far the best stuff I ever had.

After a bit of research, these things are kinda like cast iron skillets, where they develop their own flavors over time. I was a bit reluctant to believe this, but so far so good. I lucked out and got one that is not gritty, so I did not have to spend much time getting it prepped.

Also, another dish I have had in Mexico is served in the molcajete. Basically, it is like a stew with meat, cactus, scallions, tomato, etc. and oaxacan cheese. Spoon it out over corn tortillas and you are eating a piece of heaven.
12/31/09 11:42 AM
shibbytastic
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I got one as well and have used it mostly for herb and spice mixes so far.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.