UnderGround Forums

Kickboxing UnderGround >> Clinch training question

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

3/6/10 5:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
zealot66
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have never seen thais practice clinching with gloves on.
3/25/10 3:01 AM
Bryan72
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

zealot66 -  I have never seen thais practice clinching with gloves on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLOexIpPwKg
3/25/10 7:43 AM
Khun Kao
1437 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dayum.... That video is awesome! I'm digging that Thai heavy metal

3/25/10 5:10 PM
zealot66
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just saying, I never have seen it till now. oops.
3/25/10 5:35 PM
Bryan72
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

zealot66 -  Just saying, I never have seen it till now. oops.

I was a bit surprised when I saw this clip, for that reason as well. I had seen maybe one instance of a thai clinching with gloves before this, but 99.99% of the time it was bare hand.

I have seen a bit of the clinching with headgear on, though. Which always struck me as kind of peculiar
3/26/10 7:53 AM
Khun Kao
1437 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well, I guess another thing we need to consider in this instance is that we're watching a highlight reel... we don't know what the full "drill" or "exercise" they were doing was. Was it just clinchwork, or was this just part of a larger drill that required they wear gloves? It could have been a sparring drill where we got to see the highlight of them clinching....
3/27/10 10:00 AM
Normal MT
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maybe they arent nearly as poor as they used to be with an influx of farangs money they can afford training safer, and training equipment isnt so rare with more equipment manufacturers.
3/27/10 10:50 PM
Khun Kao

While never having been to Thailand myself, it is my understanding that these Muay Thai camps are nowhere near as poor as we Westerners are led to believe. Don't get me wrong, they definitely benefit from the recent worldwide interest in Muay Thai (largely due to MMA), but most camps still earn the greater bulk of their money from their fighters, not farangs.....
3/28/10 5:12 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
139 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Khun Kao - While never having been to Thailand myself, it is my understanding that these Muay Thai camps are nowhere near as poor as we Westerners are led to believe. Don't get me wrong, they definitely benefit from the recent worldwide interest in Muay Thai (largely due to MMA), but most camps still earn the greater bulk of their money from their fighters, not farangs.....
horse & the cart Brooks.  Westerners tend to go to farang camps like Tiger MT, Fairtex etc. and of course that's how they make their money.  but 95% of most MT gyms are not farang gyms and thus earn their money thru fighters and aren't nearly as profitable and have such nice facilities.

3/29/10 6:48 PM
OctaviousBP
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bull_in_chinashop -  but 95% of most MT gyms are not farang gyms and thus earn their money thru fighters and aren't nearly as profitable and have such nice facilities.

Agreed. In my experience, this is what a typical Thai camp looks like: http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j169/octaviousbp/?action=view¤t=IMG_0363.jpg
3/30/10 8:40 AM
Khun Kao

your photo link isn't working....
3/31/10 7:26 AM
OctaviousBP

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j169/octaviousbp/IMG_0363.jpg

hopefully that works...
3/31/10 7:30 AM
Khun Kao

3/31/10 6:26 PM
OctaviousBP

Thanks KK.
4/27/10 8:18 AM
TigerMuayThai
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.