UnderGround Forums

JKD UnderGround >> Open Hand vs Closed Fist

1/18/10 3:09 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TylerJamesMead
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i think you have just as much chance of damaging your hand(fingers) since your hand isnt in a tihgt ball but rather open and if a person has a good hunchback or cm stance how are you soing to ger past his forehead to hit the good bits of his upper anatomy.

when i was 13 i got in a fight at school. had been doing traditional ma couldnt fight worth a damn but i thought i could anyhway. me and a dude get into it hes hitting me in the face wiht knucles and in palming him which is what out teacher taught us to do- if in(gay point sparring) sarring we did closed fist we had to do horse stance for the duration of the round. anyway hes lighting me up and i cant even tall if he feels my rabbit slaps so i close my hands then he starts to duck and cover and turn away. he stopped fighting shortly later and i stopped. i know its as far as you can get away from a life or death situation but thats what i think of when i see these threads posted,
1/18/10 8:26 PM
Paul Hopkins
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1/19/10 3:06 AM
keseki
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wrong. The risk of injury (and other self-damage)is higher with closed fist. Reasons are explained in the article.
1/20/10 4:31 AM
laqueus

There are, however, risks associated with open hand striking too, they're just less numerous and less serious (potentially)
1/23/10 1:53 AM
Burton
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JKDU--MMA For The Street, BJJ, Kali, President
Test:
1 go to hard floor, preferably cement.
2 Punch with fist
3 Slap with open hand
4 Determine which hurts less

Open hand wins on self-inflicted damage issue
1/23/10 12:26 PM
Marc1000

Burton - Test:
1 go to hard floor, preferably cement.
2 Punch with fist
3 Slap with open hand
4 Determine which hurts less

Open hand wins on self-inflicted damage issue

Hi Burton,

I enjoyed the training I received at your Hermosa Beach school. It's a shame that you don't have a school or training group in the LA area.

I find that the slaps seem to be more natural for me on the hooking lines than for the jabs and crosses. Is that something you have experienced? I love the hooking slap that you had on your old curriculum tapes.

Also, when you work jabs and crosses on the heavy bag and focus mitts do you usually hit with the fist or the palm heels? I enjoy hitting with fists more, but that might not be the most practical. The article that Keseki posted gave me cause for concern (and conversations with a relative who works in an emergency room).

Marc
1/29/10 2:45 PM
Burton
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JKDU--MMA For The Street, BJJ, Kali, President
Hi Marc,
I do both on the heavy bag. I must say that I have spent so many decades punching with a closed fist that I still have to remind myself to do my open hand striking. For straight strikes, rotate your hand so that the thumb is pointing down. That helps the power and efficiency.
If you visit Hawaii let me know.
1/29/10 8:35 PM
Kai Tremeche

Burton: That's transcendent.

That's how you avoid getting your fingers jacked up. I end up shorting my palm strike and my fingers hit first.

Just turning it 90 degrees fixes that.

Awesome
1/31/10 8:36 PM
wolverinek1

With the open hand you can gouge eyes, fish hook etc. More lethal. Theres a reason why its banned in mma competition
2/1/10 1:44 PM
Skpotamus
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wolverinek1 - With the open hand you can gouge eyes, fish hook etc. More lethal. Theres a reason why its banned in mma competition

You can still use palm heel strikes under the unified rules for mma (I recommend it for pounding while in mount so you don't punch the floor if they slip their head to the side) most fighters just don't because they can do more damage with a punch with the wraps and gloves on.
2/1/10 9:42 PM
laqueus

wolverinek1 - With the open hand you can gouge eyes, fish hook etc. More lethal. Theres a reason why its banned in mma competition

It baffles me how people thing this kind of stuff is "lethal", Yuki Nakai was permanently blinded in one eye, but not killed. Oleg Taktarov didn't have anything happen when Tank fishhooked him. It's insane how people just make stuff up like this and state it as fact.
2/1/10 10:36 PM
Kai Tremeche

Laq: The problem with fishhooking is that in a self defense situation, you bite the finger that is in your mouth.

Bite it like a zombie.
2/2/10 1:28 PM
Marc1000

Burton - Hi Marc,
I do both on the heavy bag. I must say that I have spent so many decades punching with a closed fist that I still have to remind myself to do my open hand striking. For straight strikes, rotate your hand so that the thumb is pointing down. That helps the power and efficiency.
If you visit Hawaii let me know.

Thanks Burton, this is great information.-
2/26/10 8:59 PM
wolverinek1

laqueus - 

It baffles me how people thing this kind of stuff is "lethal", Yuki Nakai was permanently blinded in one eye, but not killed. Oleg Taktarov didn't have anything happen when Tank fishhooked him. It's insane how people just make stuff up like this and state it as fact.

Ok maybe the term devastating is more appropriate than lethal. Open hands have the potential to injure more. Yuki was blinded in one eye, hmm not too serious??? I bet he's been punched in the eye many times and damaged far less.
3/2/10 12:43 AM
FlashGordon2002

The "Judo chop" to the neck was a pretty standard hand-to-hand combat technique they taught to Allied troops during WWII. You can see it in old combatives manuals. I have no doubt it works. You're frickin' hitting a dude in the NECK with the edge of your hand!!!!

Fish-hooking is alright but...just how do you train this? I know how to do it so as to avoid getting bitten but...how to train this against a resisting opponent? You can't. Plus, I'm sure I'd hesitate to do it in a real life situation since I'm not a sociopathic fiend that gets off on ripping people's faces off with my bare hands.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.