UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> Drinkable water from a dehumidifier?

1/2/10 4:39 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
SirPrize
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Several months ago, I discovered "atmospheric water generators", like the EcoloBlue 28. However, that thing is $999.00.

It sounds like these things are basically dehumidifiers that purify their water. So, is there any reason why I couldn't buy a plain dehumidifier and then purify the water through a Berkey water filter? (This Berkey shows the PF-2 fluoride filters that I will use for standard use, even though I won't need it for the humidifier water.)

Amazon.com has a 16 oz dehumidifer for $39.99. They also sell ones that can produce 40 pints or 70 pints per day for $199.

Would this work as a water supply solution in an emergency situation? (This assumes I have electricity, though. A solar power backup might solve that problem - it's on my "to do" list.)
1/27/10 9:58 PM
EasyTapper
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wouldn't know why the water would be unsuitable for purification.

However, the downside would be that you actually have to have humidity. Just because it's capable of producing 40 or 70 pints a day doesn't mean it will.
1/28/10 3:08 PM
migwar
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

a quick search says not drinkable due to the machine itself but its doesnt state the water isn't treatable
8/13/10 1:39 PM
kanotoa
174 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think they sell machines specifically made for drinking condesation. SOme are solar powered, they are probably more expensive though so maybe you should just buy the cheap dehumidifier. Probably fine to drink (in SHTF), all it is is condensed water from cooling coils, maybe wash the coils and other surfaces where water touches.
8/31/10 9:03 PM
SirPrize
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was just thinking of ways to *procure* water. I can filter and purify it on my own, either through filtration (Berkey FTW) or boiling. You can't purify what you don't have, though.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.