UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rolles Gracie just awarded Rashad his BB

1/2/10 9:42 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mike Russell
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

in the dressing room....No pressure...lol

Rolles Gracie In Las Vegas for UFC 108. Just stopped by my bro Rashad Evans' room to award him his well deserved black belt. Welcome to the club & kick ass, Rashad!!!

1/2/10 9:43 PM
mkou
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Holy shit!
1/2/10 9:44 PM
ShanTheMan
811 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thiago is fucked now
1/2/10 9:45 PM
MoonBellyNoCanDefend
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ShanTheMan - Thiago is fucked now

You might as well pay now buddy.
1/2/10 9:50 PM
torquemada
285 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That is fucking awesome; now I don't feel guilty for rooting against the Brazilian black belt...
1/2/10 9:50 PM
orcus
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I didn't know Rashad was even a brown. Or even a purple for that matter.
1/2/10 9:53 PM
Mike Russell
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Caught me by surprise. I thought he was a Greg Jackson BB in Gaidojutsu. I can't remember seeing him sub anyone off the top of my head.
1/2/10 9:54 PM
orcus

I am a huge Rashad fan. I hope he wins big tonight, although Thiago has me a bit worried. Looked great against Jardine.
1/2/10 9:56 PM
torquemada
285 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really had no idea; he never goes for subs. Still very awesome...
1/2/10 10:05 PM
asscobra
230 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had no idea that rashad even trained in the gi or that he had any conection to Rolles. isn't Rolles is a Renzo BB?  
1/2/10 10:13 PM
HarlanEllison

This came as a shock to me. Didn't know he could fight off his back...
1/2/10 10:15 PM
jmig
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rolles should've awarded it to him if he submitted Thiago.
1/2/10 10:20 PM
bmoney
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yea, I was pretty surprised by that as well. I had no clue that he trained bjj in the gi, let alone long enough to get his black belt. I thought that was kind of random that Rolles gave him his black belt, as I didn't realize that Rashad trained under Rolles.
1/2/10 10:24 PM
BJJkilla
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rashad was a brown belt in jiu jitsu?
1/2/10 10:26 PM
Magic8

RyanWilcox - Fighting in the UFC means youre an automatic bjj blackbelt these days.

1/2/10 10:28 PM
HexRei

asscobra - I had no idea that rashad even trained in the gi or that he had any conection to Rolles. isn't Rolles is a Renzo BB?  

Is there any reason he would have to train in the gi to be awarded?
1/2/10 10:42 PM
jd11b
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1/2/10 10:45 PM
BJJkilla
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HexRei - 
asscobra - I had no idea that rashad even trained in the gi or that he had any conection to Rolles. isn't Rolles is a Renzo BB?  

Is there any reason he would have to train in the gi to be awarded?

thats kinda what jiu jitsu is about
1/2/10 10:52 PM
asscobra
230 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not to rehash the same old argument but bjj is a gi sport. Rolles isn't a luta livre coach so I figured he would require his bbs to train in the gi.  
1/2/10 10:53 PM
da mayor

I find it suspicious. It took BJ Penn, who is considered supremely talented, 3 years to get his BB. Getting your BB in 3 years isn't heard of.. it takes the usual practitioner over 10 years.

There has never been any mention of Rashad training BJJ with a gi... which is the only way to get a BJJ BB afaik.

fishy
1/2/10 10:56 PM
Hunter V
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fucking sweet!
1/2/10 11:10 PM
joemama

you saw he had good ground game in the griffin fight. Forrest is actually pretty good on the ground but his guard was no match for rashad
1/2/10 11:17 PM
Hunter V
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

he's trained in the gi, in fact the UFC did a insiders thing at Marquardt's gym and Rashad was there in the gi class rolling and looking damn good.
1/2/10 11:17 PM
eljamaiquino

da mayor - I find it suspicious. It took BJ Penn, who is considered supremely talented, 3 years to get his BB. Getting your BB in 3 years isn't heard of.. it takes the usual practitioner over 10 years.

There has never been any mention of Rashad training BJJ with a gi... which is the only way to get a BJJ BB afaik.

fishy

GSP got his in like 5 years. Pro fighters train for a living, so their mat time is gonna be much more than a guy who trains 3 or 4 times a week. I thought I saw rashad rolling with the gi in one of the vids after he won TUF. He trains in the offseason IIRC.
1/2/10 11:18 PM
FLMikeATT

I hope it's a legit promotion and not a 'show' or 'honorary' promotion. I haven't seen anything from Evans that makes me think he's even a brown belt, but I guess we'll have to just trust Rolles in this and hope Evans eventually shows some of his BJJ skills.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.