UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> tell me about working at Guitar Center

1/8/10 12:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
whtblt4eva
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i was thinking about applying for a part time job there in the guitar dept.

is it a cool place to work? decent discounts, pay, etc? i already work in retail/sales so i'm very familiar with how that aspect of it sucks.
1/10/10 1:30 PM
BarkLikeADog
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not an expert but seems like it wouldn't be any different than working at Best Buy.
1/11/10 1:44 AM
Racer X
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was guitar/amp floor manager at the San Jose store in 2001. Third time I'd worked for GC.

Guitar Center is a good place for a salesman, crappy place for a clerk. If you don't know the difference, you'll have trouble.

In a nutshell, if you have the personal drive to create and maintain a clientele that will come back to you and buy from you, then you'll do OK. Otherwise, you'll be clerkin' sale items for LOW comission percentages.

When I was there, we were on department bonus based pay, not individual comission. This inspired cooperation between salesmen, but created "baggage" crew members, guys who didn't pull their weight toward the bonus levels. Straight comission makes guys work harder, but creates a cutthroat relationship among the staff, you better have your repeat customers and fresh calls walk in calling your name or you get sniped.

What store and how are they paying? Draw against commision? Department goals? The testing for guitar salesmen there are progressively harder, and you'd do well to learn your stuff when it comes to guitar technology and vintage identification if you expect to advance quickly there. Good news is that if you get through the testing you'll be pretty guitar smart.
1/11/10 4:41 AM
BarkLikeADog
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow, I would never have guessed GC was commission based. 9 out of 10 I have to wrestle some emo douch to the ground just to get my shit rung up in there. I'll correct myself:

Not an expert but seems like it wouldn't be much different than working at Radio Shack.
1/12/10 12:10 AM
whtblt4eva
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

it's in Rhode Island or North Attleboro,Mass.

I scored 100 and 90 on the online pre-screening tests and i've been in commission based sales for the past six years, so I feel pretty confident there.

It's part time sales, so it pays minimum wage with a weird commission rate (10% of the profit and 2% of the sale, but you have to earn more than your worked wages to get the commission.       i.e., let's say my hourly wages for the week come out to $100, if i make $350 in commission, then i'll get  $250  ($350 minus the $100 ). at least that's how I understand it for now.
1/12/10 7:58 AM
Racer X
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's called a draw against commission. In other words, you are fully on commission,they just front you your hourly wages off the top of your commission. You're paying YOURSELF.

But seriously, if you can't make enough commision that covering your draw is an issue, you won't be there long.

At 10% of the profit and 2% of the sale, I'd sure as hell find out what my most profitable pieces are fast.

Good luck, Don't spend all your $$ on discounted music gear!
7/10/10 5:19 PM
The Kangaroo
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow, what happens if you dont have someone help you, does the dude that rung you up get the commission? I generally run the help off so I dont have some douchenozzle hovering over me.
7/12/10 5:14 PM
Racer X

^ It's not quite like that. You don't really need to go to a seperate cash register. Whoever you talk to about something can pretty much get you out of there. No smart salesman will hover, period. They'll let you know they can help you as much or as little as you need and keep themselves available based on that.

As a salesman, the last thing I'm interested in is watching you wank on a guitar or bass while other guys are selling stuff. But I want you to know that I can answer questions and write up your purchase.  Believe me, if I talk to you first, you're going to want to buy from me, because I know what you need to know(doesn't matter what that is!).

When I was training guys in sales it always started the same way.

"Hi guys, I'm here to show you how to make money by shutting your mouths and listening."

It takes a while for some to get it. Some never do.

Just thought I'd throw that in for any budding salesmen.
7/12/10 5:15 PM
Racer X

PS the fun begins when you sell someone a guitar by taking it away from them. ;)
2/20/11 12:36 AM
asbury
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/20/11 8:04 AM
my buddy works there. hes a down and out over the hill guitar wiz just trying to make a respectable buck. seems like most of the sales guys there are never has been pricks but maybe thats just my experience. anyway, i was told that they did away with negotiating prices. theres supposed to be a no haggle policy now. also, my buddy told me you start doing sales at your local guitar center. if you hustle your ass off you can get transfered to a bigger market like nyc or socal, where they make much more money.

if i worked there id probably be fired in a month for scamming shit. theres a $20,000 tele hanging on the wall at my local GC, every time i see it i want to make off with it.
2/22/11 8:23 PM
5th Dan Aikido Man

ttt
2/24/11 1:29 PM
Racer X

" anyway, i was told that they did away with negotiating prices. theres supposed to be a no haggle policy now."

I think internet pricing forced that decision. That's how you turn salespeople into clerks.
2/24/11 5:54 PM
dustynothing
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Never worked there, but where I was I saw that they pat down their employees before they go home. I've also heard they have a big turnover rate.
2/24/11 8:06 PM
asbury

i was there again today to pick up a really cheap fender acoustic. i need a beater with low action and they have the most of those.

anyway, the urge to simply pick up a $3500 martin or $10.000 vintage jazzmaster was strong. there was no security guy at the front, everyone was so distracted i couldnt even get their attention long enough to buy my guitar.

i could and would never steal from a mom and pop. but sometimes guitar center is just asking for it.
3/3/11 5:25 PM
Midget Tosser
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

working at guitar center beyond fucking sucks
3/4/11 12:24 AM
Invisible Lats Syndrome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-xX7iWvzbo

Must see
3/4/11 1:58 AM
HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

I wish I worked at either Guitar Center or the music department at Best Buy.
9/26/11 10:13 PM
breakit

Edited: 09/26/11 10:13 PM
 I walked in knowing exactly what I wanted.  An Ibanez RG350 for me and an ESP MH for my son.  I walked right up to the counter and told the guy I wanted to buy two guitars.  I think I made his day (especially since he was new).  He let us play on a JEM while he was working up the order.  (it was so hard not to walk out the door with it)

9/27/11 4:01 PM
Racer X

On stealing from Guitar Center:

Bad idea,they take it personally.
Security cameras
Technically, there should be no way to get out the door without passing a "greeter". If there is, it's a flaw at that store.

On my shift if you even walked in the direction of the door with a guitar in your hand there would be someone standing between you and freedom. Better have a receipt. I had my department layed out so that you would have to take an odd path to the door from guitars, so it was obvious where you were going.

I told my guys if someone broke for the door with a guitar, LET THEM GO! GC is insured, let the cops do thier job, don't get stabbed because you can run faster than a thief. If you can get a car ID/ lic.# great, but stay away from them. I almost had to bury a friend who confronted a guy stealing his car stereo. No material object is worth dying for.

End of rant. Sorry to get morbid. :)
10/12/11 1:55 AM
Ponyboy
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you do confront a perp., make sure your weapon of choice is a bc rich guitar.

They always leave a mark when you brain someone with them.
10/23/11 10:07 PM
Majic Sam
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great info RX.

Anyone shop/work at GC in Austin?My girlfriend is American,me Canuck.We are thinking about a move to Austin.My first drum mentor,Mark Nelson,is GC natitional V.P. of sales.Said he would get me work if I ever got a green card.I don't have retail experience,but great background in manufacturing w/Ayotte,Dunnett drums,Larrivee guitars.

Which location is better,N.,or S. Austin?Thanks.
10/24/11 2:53 PM
Racer X

Ponyboy - If you do confront a perp., make sure your weapon of choice is a bc rich guitar.

They always leave a mark when you brain someone with them.

While I still advise against it, you are correct,sir!

10/25/11 11:20 PM
Ponyboy
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Holy Crap!

That's pointy even by BC Rich standards.
10/25/11 11:26 PM
Majic Sam
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Even Gene Simmons cannot compete with such a perfectly pointed design.

Any word on GC,Austin?
10/26/11 1:32 AM
Racer X

Neal Moser is the guy that designed a lot of the pointier BC Rich stuff as I understand it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.