UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Gary Goodridge needs a job...

1/8/10 12:50 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
CagePotato
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From CagePotato.com...

When I was in Tokyo for the New Year's Eve Dynamite!! show, I couldn't help but notice that Gary Goodridge seemed like a man who didn't really want to be fighting.  He was added to the card at the last minute, matched up against Gegard Mousasi in a fight the promoters obviously didn't intend for him to win.  His last MMA fight was in November of 2008.  He hadn't won one since his 2007 K-1 Heroes bout against Jan Nortje.  So what was he doing fighting "Sweet Sassy" on a few days' notice?

The answer, Goodridge told me when I spoke to him for an SI.com article this week, is surviving.  He was getting paid the only way he knows how, though he wishes he didn't have to.

"I’m trying to get a job, period," said Goodridge. "My background is in security, police, corrections. I went to school for four years at a college level to learn how to beat people properly. I would love to be a bodyguard, whatever. I’m just looking for a job."

Goodridge spent all of 2009 staying out of the fight game and looking for steady work.  When the call came offering him the fight with Mousasi, he still hadn't found anything and his bank account was "drying up."  Naturally, he took the fight, even though he already one scheduled in MMA Big Show for the following weekend (his TKO loss in Japan resulted in the Indiana commission refusing to license him for that bout). 

He was in reasonably good shape, he says.  His weight and cardio were on target, even if his speed and timing might not be.  He knew why the promoters were bringing him in, but what could he do?

"I was going broke looking for a job," he said. "I got a load of bills that need paying. When I got the call I thought, 'Thank God.' Now I can pay some bills."

As Goodridge points out, he may be a household name from his time in Pride (he knocked out Oleg Taktarov in the first Pride event) or his early appearances in the UFC, but back then fighters weren't making much money.  He'll be fourty-four years old in a couple of weeks.  He can't go on fighting much longer.  But because that's what he's spent the last fourteen years of his life doing, he doesn't have much else on his resume. 

Goodridge said he enjoyed the trip to Japan, which was like going back in time for him, only this time he knew enough to appreciate all the little things.  Now that he's had that experience, he'd like to get out of the business.  All he needs is for someone to give him a job.  

1/8/10 1:03 PM
smth416
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When is the next XARM season?
1/8/10 1:04 PM
flyingtoehold
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana, get him a retirement fight with Kimbo!!!!!!!!!!  Good luck Gary, I've met him a couple of times and he's always been cool. Much respect Gary and hopefully you have a good year.
1/8/10 1:04 PM
stickman
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's a shame... Didn't he used to get paid six figures per fight, back in the day?

I recall him opening up a business some years back and also, didn't he open up a school (Fighting U or something like that).

Man.. he's got some bad luck. He always had a good personality and could talk. Perhaps he could get work on the fight network or something?
1/8/10 1:10 PM
PJ Benn Fan
195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

stickman - That's a shame... Didn't he used to get paid six figures per fight, back in the day?

I recall him opening up a business some years back and also, didn't he open up a school (Fighting U or something like that).

Man.. he's got some bad luck. He always had a good personality and could talk. Perhaps he could get work on the fight network or something?
His school closed down very recently (last 3 months or so).

Gary is a good guy. Everyone I have spoken to who has met him has said the same thing.

I know he was bouncing at bars for some time too, but I guess that shit gets old.

1/8/10 1:11 PM
kanotoa
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think he could easily be a body guard or bouncer/security almost anywhere he wanted to. He won't make 6 figures but it's a living. Maybe he could get a permit to carry a weapon and take some body guard classes.
1/8/10 1:15 PM
smth416
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

stickman - That's a shame... Didn't he used to get paid six figures per fight, back in the day?

I agree. I liked him doing color for Pride.
1/8/10 1:16 PM
PJ Benn Fan
195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kanotoa - I think he could easily be a body guard or bouncer/security almost anywhere he wanted to. He won't make 6 figures but it's a living. Maybe he could get a permit to carry a weapon and take some body guard classes.
You have to also remember that he lives here in Ontario.
We are EXTREMELY strict regarding weapons and whatnot.
In fact I am not even sure you can carry a gun here. IIRC it has to be locked up in a safe spot.

I could be wrong, but its not like he could just go out, get a gun permit and be body guard. He has to take course and everything. 
1/8/10 1:19 PM
GladiatorGannon
264 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FartV -  He can find work.  He isn't willing to work certain jobs. 

We all have certain jobs we don't want to spend the rest of our lives doing. He keeps doing the job he has (fighting) until he finds a new job he can make a living at.
1/8/10 1:20 PM
DRen
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

well i am from barrie which is garys hometown and where he lives. he opened a school called the fight university and apparently didnt want any part of it after being open for like a year so they went out of business. A guy in my BJJ class told me he applied for a job as a security guard at our bus terminal but was turned down.
1/8/10 1:23 PM
TOM666

ttt for Goodridge versus Kimbo.
1/8/10 1:23 PM
TOM666

And where is the biography that was supposed to come out about him?
1/8/10 1:54 PM
munsturrman28
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GladiatorGannon - 

We all have certain jobs we don't want to spend the rest of our lives doing. He keeps doing the job he has (fighting) until he finds a new job he can make a living at.

No Disprespect intended but back in 2005 I swore I would NEVER work fast food. then I got layed off. I was a single dad and I was like fuck this, I'll work for whoever will hire me. Luckily a buddy of mine from the Gym was managing a panda express and next thing I knew, I was a cook at panda. I took a $7 pay cut, but when, as Gary himself put it, you have bills to pay and mouths to feed it doensn't matter what job you get as long a responsibilities are being met.

God bless our brothers in the gym that pull through when we need things.
1/8/10 1:58 PM
Biggy
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

not only did Goodridge not look like he wanted to fight, but neither did Fujita for that matter... It was very apparent on both their faces that they just wanted to get a paycheck as painless as possible.
1/8/10 2:41 PM
solidsnake
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Skull Punch Fightwear, t-shirt guy
TOM666 - And where is the biography that was supposed to come out about him?

Yeah, I remember a post about that and how it was suppose to talk about the behind the scenes experience. It's probably on hiatus since publishing costs dough.
1/8/10 5:23 PM
GladiatorGannon
264 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FartV - 
GladiatorGannon - 

I wasn't talking about fighting.  He could work fast food.

He doesn't want to?  Too bad.  So we should feel sorry for someone who blew all of his money and start a paypal for him?

I think people are losing track of the fact that he IS working a job he doesn't like already, why would he want to switch to another job that he likes even less for lower money? It's not like he's sitting on his ass, he is working already.

And he isn't asking for a paypal, he's asking if anyone can help him find a job in his field. The Martial Arts community has thousands of people working in security/bodyguarding and related fields, this is just a smart way to leverage his fame into his job search. He would be a bum if he WASN'T trying to do this.
1/9/10 4:10 AM
YourHeadOnSpork

Sad story, hopefully he can find some work because I get the feeling they dont pay him that well when they expect him to lose.
1/9/10 4:32 AM
fedorsbelly

Man, I hate to see legends of the sport in that position. There should be a fund or something. I'd imagine he'd get bodyguard or security work just on his name though.
1/9/10 6:06 AM
PAGrappler412
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt to help get Big Daddy a job
1/9/10 6:14 AM
nostripewhite

fedorsbelly - Man, I hate to see legends of the sport in that position. There should be a fund or something. I'd imagine he'd get bodyguard or security work just on his name though.

He doesn't need a fund. He needs a job. He's a man in his mid-40's, he should be able to find work.
1/9/10 12:52 PM
Dawkins

Did his gym close?
1/9/10 1:25 PM
HYBRID JON
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BA Baracus in the sequal???
1/9/10 1:27 PM
Mark Dorsey

Dawkins - Did his gym close?

Great article. Yes, unfortunately but Gary is still doing personal training at his home gym.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.