UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Any Adjunct Instructors here? thoughts?

1/11/10 5:09 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mark1
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone here spend any time as an adjunct instructor?  Any thoughts?  pros cons?

I am looking into teaching at a local community college - maybe a class or two a week.

Any comments are welcome....

Mark
3/3/10 12:43 AM
thesleeper

If you have a job already, its not a bad gig. Horrible way to make a living though. I would drive a taxi first.
4/21/10 2:01 PM
Retard
771 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NDFS
10/25/10 10:05 PM
jscorbett
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I taught at a small university as adjunct for like 5 years. I got jerked around constantly. Finally quit.
11/11/10 10:16 PM
Coffee Guy

I did it part-time for a year and it seemed like I put in much more than I got out of it.
11/25/10 7:23 AM
jscorbett
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was adjunct at a local university for years. I quit because I was tired of being kicked around continually by the university. It was like a stinking soap opera.
11/27/10 8:13 PM
KenTheWalrus
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I also have been thinking about applying for an adjunct position at a CC.

A few questions:
What kind of time commitment is a 3-4 credit class?
Is the course curriculum pretty much already set by the department?
At a Community College level, what kind of student participation is realistic? What amount of reading/studying is realistic?

Thanks for any input.
4/9/12 3:19 PM
antifret

Subbed
5/18/12 3:47 PM
Cookie Monster
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I did it for a couple of years. It was a giant pain in the ass and the $ was certainly not worth the hassle.
5/18/12 4:05 PM
antifret

Didn't get to hook up with any community college girls?
6/24/12 1:07 PM
Philanderer
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not, but my company does have a Fellowship program with a Univ. Also friends with an adjunct. He said the CC pays more than the universities, probably because its more of a pain dealing with worse kids because of open enrollment
9/10/13 2:42 AM
xiaomingzc

While two locations might seem just as excellent, their companies just http://www.rsgoldfast.com might put them over the advantage.Can you reduce costs by getting solutions at the venue? Many marriage hallways offer offers including a wide range of http://www.WOWgoldpvp.com solutions so that you can preserve a lot of cash on what is sure to be an costly event. While it is always attractive to spend on your marriage, sometimes you might need to consider offers to remain within your price range. Besides, who wouldn't appreciate a http://www.d3face.com little additional cash for the honeymoon?
2/11/14 7:21 PM
mmaresearchstudy
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I worked as an adjunct professor for 8 years and really enjoyed it. They wanted to bring me on full time but it ended up being better for me to stay sessional and get more cash.
2/18/14 5:42 PM
Philanderer
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mmaresearchstudy - I worked as an adjunct professor for 8 years and really enjoyed it. They wanted to bring me on full time but it ended up being better for me to stay sessional and get more cash.

Tenure track, or as a lecturer?
2/19/14 12:11 AM
Cookie Monster
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Huntington, WV
antifret - Didn't get to hook up with any community college girls?
Actually yes. A ran into a pretty hot chick in my class a couple of years after she graduated. Fuck around with her a little bit. It was hot. No pics sorry. Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.