UnderGround Forums

Jen >> Article on running shoes vs. bare feet

1/12/10 2:56 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
None So Blind
212 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I apologize for the non-BJJ topic here, but IIRC this is something you've talked about often, Bolo, so I thought you might be interested in checking out this article.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20100112/sc_livescience/studyrunningshoescouldcausejointstrain

1/12/10 8:46 PM
Bolo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/13/10 3:01 AM
Fancy running shoes have the same effect on the body as things like orthodics, ankle brace, and knee braces- they just make your body weaker.
2/1/10 12:09 AM
Bolo

Here's an article that MBF creator, Geoff Gluckman, just wrote on his blog:

Barefoot Function and Running
Finally, the well-needed truth about athletic footwear enters the wider public domain. In the January 28, 2010 issue of Nature an article, entitled "Foot strike patterns and collision forces in habitually barefoot versus shod runners," reveals the results of an extensive study on the impact forces caused by running, both barefoot and wearers of athletic shoes.

I remember in the early 1990's being on the speaker's circuit at such conferences as National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) and IDEA and being one of two presenters speaking about the importance of function. I was the only one speaking about muscle balance and function, for sure. The other speaker was Dr. Mel Siff, a researcher from South Africa. We shared a great conversation about how he had coaxed the athletic shoe companies to send pairs of their shoes for testing on a force plate, in order to show which shoe offered the best protection. The funny thing was that the results showed, much like in this most recent study, that the human barefoot offered the best performance, both in force absorption and production.

I would say few people listened to him, or the information I shared at the time.

The recent Nature article, written by Dr. Daniel E. Lieberman (Harvard University) with contributions from a slew of researchers from University of Michigan to Moi University Medical School in Kenya, Africa, demonstrates the effectiveness of bare feet in absorbing the collision forces associated with running.

The technical results (kinematic and kinetic analyses) "show that even on hard surfaces, barefoot runners who fore-foot strike [first] generate smaller collision forces than shod rear-foot strikers."

The same is true for those barefoot runners who land more flatfooted (mid-foot). Both types of ground strike, fore-foot and mid-foot, dissipate the collision forces by spreading it through the surface of the foot and apply increased flexibility in the ankle motion. All of which does not occur for a heel-striker.

The researchers estimate that mid-foot and fore-foot ground strikes were more common for thousands of years before the invention of the cushioned athletic shoe. After all, humans have been running for millions of years, long distances at that, all without the benefit of any or minimal foot protection.

As many of you know, if you have taken a class with me, in 1986, NASA researchers came to the overall conclusion from long-term studies that the human body was designed for movement and that it was optimal for the body to operate from a frame that was aligned at right angles in the major joints--ankles, knees, hips, and shoulders.

If you get a chance, read this article. Hopefully, people will start to listen to those of us who have been saying that prevention of injury begins within the body, especially one that is muscularly balanced and functional.
3/2/10 7:41 PM
Bolo

Edited: 03/02/10 7:41 PM
Vivobarefoot just came out with their barefoot running shoe. Check it out at www.vivobarefoot.com.

I'm also excited to see that they are coming out with a line for kids.
5/19/10 5:08 PM
m.g
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

On the latest episode of the HBO show REALSPORTS there was an interesting story about barefoot running.
6/2/10 1:27 AM
Matt Jubera

Bolo,

I am a novice to this barefoot running stuff. I picked up the kit from http://www.invisibleshoe.com/

Made from the same vibram material as the five fingers. Might be a cheaper way to outfit growing kids.
7/8/10 9:46 PM
Bolo

When I started wearing shoes that were so close to barefoot as possible, I initially felt like my feet were on fire. It was as if the pressure points on the bottom of my foot were being activated. That feeling eventually went away. I also used to get sore above my achilles tend, but that went away too.

Personally, I don't recommend that people try to consciously alter their gait. Your natural gait or running form is simply a result of your posture. When you alter your posture, you gait will naturally change.
7/9/10 2:07 AM
Bolo

There are many more postural deviations that exist in your body which you don't even realize. In addition, with most of those deviations, you couldn't consciously try to alter it through posing even if you tried.

There are 3 parts improve the posture in your body - exercise therapy, getting your C1 vertebrae adjusted into place if it out of place (I have never met a BJJ player whose C1 was in place), and have the bones of your skull adjusted into proper alignment.
7/9/10 1:22 PM
Bolo

Did someone delete some posts?
3/20/11 8:13 PM
vegard
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mt

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.