UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> Ninjutsu

1/13/10 4:11 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Hitman91
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/13/10 4:35 PM

Anyone knows anything about Ninjutsu and the Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu ? Useful stuff irl? Do they even spar?
1/13/10 6:00 PM
khd29

Edited: 01/13/10 6:04 PM
There is a place that I checked out in Brooklyn (Bay Ridge) a while back that teaches this style. They practiced break falls, some throws, weapons mainly. No randori from what I saw unless they trained on a different day. Spoke to the instructor and seems very knowledgable about the art and not beat his chest about how great it is.Do you remember a show in History channel or Discovery channel about ninjitsu a while back? The sensei was making poisons, antidotes, showing secrets of the ninja and a Irish (?) guy was the best student,.. I believe this is the same system.

Edit: Not sure if it's the same style Hitman but it really sounds familiar.
1/14/10 12:07 AM
twinkletoesCT
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Modern Self-Defense Center, Head Instructor
I know a bit. I have three friends who are each dan ranks in Ninjutsu. Each of them has had a VERY different experience of it.

Ninja #1 trained in the Bujinkan group, under Masaaki Hatsumi and Stephen Hayes (before Hayes left to do his To Shin Do thing). He enjoyed it, but when the UFC landed he saw BJJ and started doing both. He quickly realized that the no-sparring no-resisting no-questioning-anything atmosphere wasn't working for him and he jumped ship entirely to BJJ.

Ninja #2 came up in the same org and still trains with both Hatsumi and Hayes. He has never trained any other styles and speaks ill of them. He's passed 25 years in their art, but has never once in his lifetime sparred. Instead, he likes to pass along stories handed down to him about how awesomely lethal this stuff is.

Ninja #3 trained with a Steven Hayes affiliate in the midwest. They trained 5 nights/week, 2hours per training session. The first art was technical development, the second was full contact sparring with grappling allowed and no protective gear...like Old School Vale Tudo. As a result, he is a CRAZY TOUGH S.O.B. He earned his shodan after 2 years of this training regimen.

I trained at my first ninjutsu seminar recently. To be fair, it was mostly Hojojutsu, but it was hosted by a Ninjutsu school, taught by Ninjutsu people, I was the only non-Ninjutsu student, and they added some Ninjutsu techniques during the second day. Personally, it reminded me of JJJ training, but not as well thought out. A couple of the high ranking instructors were clearly well-skilled. I did not feel the same way about any of the other folks I encountered, including most black belts. I'm opining and judging, but that was my take on it.
1/19/10 8:40 PM
laqueus

I imagine it would vary widely, but just going by Steve Jennum's success, it will be of some use. This seems to particularly be because he knew something about grappling, and the style /should/ teach both ranges as well as stringing them together. Even if you don't know much, knowing about BJJ and copying it from videos will give you some success, as grappling and ground fighting is a really good leg up. From that as well, knowing both grappling and striking is an advantage over just grappling, so by virtue of that, as long as they do some sparring and some randori, you'll benefit.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.