UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> Presas Arnis - Espada y Daga

1/14/10 4:42 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mr B
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hey, all. don't post over here usually so i dunno if this has ever been asked.

i practiced presas' modern arnis for a few years, but haven't been actively pursuing it for about 5 years now.

i want to get back into it because i absolutely loved it and want to continuing growing and hopefully sharing it with others.

a few days ago i dug an old notebook with notes and lesson plans from my old school and have been going down the list of drills. however, i cannot remember certain espada y daga drills that we did...there were 6 of them and i've no clue if they were something my instructor at the time developed or if they were "official" drills from grandmaster presas.

i was wondering if anyone might have or know where i could find vids or illustrations of the movements online..just so i can refresh??

all i have are the descriptions to go by:

espada y daga #1-6

1. no label
2. vertical abanico
3. retract/witik
4. doblette/witik
5. ocho ocho upward/downward
6. horizontal abinico

like i said...they may be unique to my former instructor, but just thought i'd ask and see.

'preciate any help y'all might have!
1/14/10 4:44 PM
Mr B
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

btw, anyone in/around the san angelo, tx area that's done some FMA that would like to get together and do some informal practice/study..lemme know!
1/16/10 10:06 PM
Epa
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The descriptions you have are pretty generic terms in Filipino martial arts. I don't think anyone will be able to link them to any specific drills based on the names you provided.

Off the top of my head I can't think of any espada y daga drills Remy Presas taught that go by those names (I'm assuming that's the Presas arnis you studied). The espada y daga I remember from that system consisted mainly of a series of passing drills called Palis Palis, where you passed incoming attacks and used the dagger to thrust after you pass the long weapon.

The best I can do is describe some of the terms in your notes. If you plug those terms into youtube I'm sure you will come up with some demos of the basic motions. For espada y daga, I would focus on the Ocho ocho and follow up with a dagger thrust.

An Abanico is a fanning strike where you rotate your wrist and snap the stick. The horizontal and vertical are probably just referring to the angle of the strike.

Ocho Ocho is a term for strikes done in an X pattern. Downward is probably just drawing an X with two downward strikes and upward is drawing them with upward strikes.

A witik strike is a strike that hits to the center and retracts on the same line, as opposed to a labtik strike that cuts through the center and chambers on the other side.

The doblette could mean different things depending on the style of the person who taught you so it's hard to tell what that means.
1/16/10 11:27 PM
Mr B

Thanks for your response, Epa.

Yes, it's Presas arnis. It's been so long, I can't remember how often my instructor studie with Remy, but it must've been a while...there's a pic of him doing some drills with Remy in one of Remy's books.

Regarding the specific movements, I do remember those (abanic, ocho ocho, etc).

These particular drills were a specific group of movements based around each techniqe. Was just trying to see if they were common ones within Remy's (or maybe Ernesto's) teaching.

I'm afraid they may have been put together by my instructor (whome I have no access to anymore).
9/21/10 4:01 PM
twinkletoesCT
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Modern Self-Defense Center, Head Instructor
I'll chime in and agree that (1) those are fairly generic names within FMA, and that (2) those don't bring to mind any specific drills from the Remy Presas Modern Arnis crowd.

Most of the Professor's teaching was based in Espada y Daga on some level, though his overall message was that you could make them work whatever you're holding (1 stick, 2 sticks, 1 knife, 2 knives, empty hand, etc).

One thing that your list brought to mind was the static demonstrations of "striking styles", which included abanico (vertical and horizontal), banda y banda, rompida, up & down, and the forward and reverse figure 8.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.