UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Starting EE program

1/15/10 12:17 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
El Maquina
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/15/10 12:17 AM

I'll be going to school full time and working full time. I know it's gonna be rough. Any pointers from you guys that have been through it already?

p.s. Electrical Engineering
1/15/10 9:55 PM
amorphous
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm just getting started in Computer Engineering (I might switch to CS but I'd like to know the hardware too.) This semester I'm taking Calc 1 and my second programming class. I'm only a week in and I can already tell I can't fuck around during this semester lol. :(

The way I see it though, if I put in the time to gain these skills it will help me tremendously throughout the rest of my life. You gain so many skills with an engineering degree I'm sure there is all sorts of work you could find once you're done. It will be a bitch of a degree though, no doubt.

Just stay focused. Don't miss class. Study every night. (Be sure to have at least half an hour each day to unwind though.)
1/16/10 9:20 PM
El Maquina

You are exactly right. It's gonna be one of those degrees where I when I'm not sleeping or working, I'm studying. I'll try to find the time to unwind but don't know where it's gonna come from :)
1/17/10 3:49 AM
P.V.Jena

Studying hard and doing well has to become a lifestyle - so you need friends who believe in and act accordingly as well.

Be competitive, find books (pdfs) online, be honest with yourself regarding how much work you're actually doing (4 hours of studying vs 4 hours of browsing the forum, eating, drinking, with 30 minutes of random studying thrown in), remember the value of balance and try and keep healthy. 
1/22/10 4:35 AM
El Maquina

will do Jena thanks
2/25/10 9:16 AM
astra
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I went to school for Mechanical Engineering while working full time. It's a long road.....

My best advice is to stick with it and not give up, no matter how hard it gets. It gets real f'n hard......lol.
5/10/11 1:00 PM
Trust
687 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am a EE.  My advice: study your ass off for all the calculus, ordinary differential equations, and the physics w/calc. classes. 

When you get into the actual EE classes, you will be using a lot calculus in certain classes, and if you  know it cold you can focus on the concepts of the class material instead of trying to re-learn the math (or learn it the first time). 

I found most of the upper division classes to be fairly easy, but I killed myself studying physics, calculus I-III, and diff eq. 

If you want some study advice, here is what I did:  I had two notebooks for every class, one to take to class, and one to recopy clean notes into for actual studying.  I'd take one to class, take notes in it, and do the homework in it.  Every day I'd recopy the class notes into the other notebook, and write them cleanly.   We'd go over the problems in class and I'd ask questions if I had any, then the next day I'd recopy ALL the problems and correct solutions after the previous day's notes into the clean notebook, and then re-copy the present day's notes in the clean notebook after that. 

The act of recopying notes is a form of review.  I'd highly recommned doing this by hand, not on a computer.  Then at the end of every week, I'd review my clean copies of class notes and the problems, and any tests/quizzes with results that I got back that week, too.  This process greatly cut down on review time to get ready for exams and finals, and it drilled it into me so I wasn't just cramming it for the exam and then forgetting about it afterwards. 

Make a point of going to visit the professor at least once a week.  Go over some of the hard problems, and ask them if there is anything else you need to know.  Ask how the material might be applied if it's appropriate.  This can pay off big time in a variety of ways, not just in learning the material but in developing relationships with the professor.  I had a lot of opportunities opened up to me because of that (including dating one of my prof's daughter - and she was way out of my league). 

5/10/11 1:40 PM
amorphous
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm doing Chem E and finished Calc 2 with a B. Not as great as I'd hoped, but this semester has been tough overall. (I work part time). I want to get a different calc book and go over everything I've learned, from the ground up, with a different perspective.

I'm taking thermodynamics and differential equations in the fall. Should be fun lol

5/17/11 7:33 PM
jgibson

I did it. The Analog Electronics classes are what killed me. No amount of calculus can help you through those unless you absolutely, positively have your circuit fundamentals down.
5/17/11 11:29 PM
El Maquina

Thanks for the advice guys! I've since decided to go the accounting route though. With my previous degree, I'll be able to finish this much faster.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.