UnderGround Forums

JKD UnderGround >> Nothing ever changes?

1/15/10 3:15 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Joe Maffei
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As I read the threads, still nothing changes.

Stay away from dangerous places, where seat belts, don’t drink. It won’t matter!!!

Carry weapons, sleep in Army suits and it still won’t matter.

JKD, MMA, is all great when you pigeon hole it into a nice neat package. The problem is, it’s all a clusterfuck out there…BJJ guys will end up fighting 2 or 3 guys, the knife guy will end up getting shot at, the little Solder wannabe will be on alert for a fight that may never happens, and the MMA guy will end up getting hit on the head and gang rapped.

Nothing goes as planned and the sooner folks wake up to this the sooner IMHO folks can put the bickering to bed and just do what they do and leave it at that. You can’t change any ones mind..

my 2 cents….:) see ya in a few months
1/15/10 8:00 PM
laqueus
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, I stopped worrying years ago. I train what I like to train, and so far haven't had to use any of it.
1/16/10 11:47 AM
Paul Hopkins
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Right on Joe! I look forward to your Marchish return.

With the economy is a shambles, H1N1 plaguing the world, and no jobs in sight I have turned my focus away from Jeet Kune Do towards hard core suvivalism.

I have read everything I could get my hands on about investing in gold, building a fallout shelter, portable water filtration, the Mayan calender, global warming, crude oil prices, and tactical shotgun for home defense.

Being a minimalist I decided to get a pair of high quality shoes and get ready to live on the Road. 

Nothing can stop the S from HTF at this point.

So, I packed a Bug Out Bag with what I need to live:
  1.  10 pounds of treats for my pug
  2. a bottle of Woodford Reseve
  3. a copy of the 3 litle pigs, the little red hen, and the Lorax
  4. 4 cartons of cigarettes. 

True story.

So what do you carry in your SERES, BOB and EDC bags.

1/18/10 9:24 AM
Scott Elliott

LOL@Paul...That is a SERIOUS BOB!! You are truly prepared!

Umm...what is your last "S" for on your SERE bag or was that a typo?
1/18/10 10:47 AM
twinkletoesCT
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Modern Self-Defense Center, Head Instructor
Epicurus wrote that the good life is "freedom from pain in the body and disturbance of the mind."

I don't agree 100%, but I think he's on the right track.
1/18/10 3:19 PM
OneScoup

Making intelligent choices to stay out of trouble is far superior to martial arts, combat sports, firearms, etc. Most intelligent people who make good choices will never have a problem, or only an isolated minor one.
1/18/10 5:19 PM
SidRon
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/18/10 5:20 PM
OneScoup - Making intelligent choices to stay out of trouble is far superior to martial arts, combat sports, firearms, etc. Most intelligent people who make good choices will never have a problem, or only an isolated minor one.

Shooting guns and practicing martial arts is alot more fun than making healthy lifestyle choices.
1/18/10 5:20 PM
twinkletoesCT
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Says who? lol
1/18/10 5:25 PM
SidRon
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/18/10 5:28 PM
twinkletoesCT - Says who? lol

I am just joking around. If you do martial arts just because you are worried about self defense then it is probably not worth the time that you invest doing it for the reasons mentioned above (Smart choices pretty much eliminate the need for self defense, unless you are a soldier, policeman, or ninja or something). I imagine most people here (at least myself) do martial arts because we enjoy the activity itself similar to how someone might enjoy playing basketball. To me it is an added benefit that the activity might have some real world benefit in the very remote chance that I might have to actually defend myself.
1/18/10 7:05 PM
WidespreadPanic

Edited: 01/18/10 7:05 PM
SidRon - 
twinkletoesCT - Says who? lol
I am just joking around. If you do martial arts just because you are worried about self defense then it is probably not worth the time that you invest doing it for the reasons mentioned above (Smart choices pretty much eliminate the need for self defense, unless you are a soldier, policeman, or ninja or something). I imagine most people here (at least myself) do martial arts because we enjoy the activity itself similar to how someone might enjoy playing basketball. To me it is an added benefit that the activity might have some real world benefit in the very remote chance that I might have to actually defend myself.

Good reply. I do think that carefully chosen MA training is very apropos for those who may need close combat knowledge for their jobs.

LEOs in particular should have the kind of body control and maybe the 'confidence' you can get from a physical activity (though cardio or weight training might be similarly useful), even though they never need to use it.

Typically if a LEO has to use MA stuff, it's baton stuff, or maybe some wrestling and ability to do takedowns and cuff someone. But more importantly you learn some body control. You might have a perp try to use half-assed MA against you and it's good to be familiar with people throwing kicks or trying various moves so it's not a surprise.

If I had it to do over, I'd have skipped all the standup stuff and trained a sport like cycling, running and then done some grappling and some judo newaza and some wrestling takedown skills. (cherry picking from several grappling arts, maybe). Since FMA was fun I'd have done that, too.

$0.02
1/19/10 8:58 PM
laqueus

SidRon - 
OneScoup - Making intelligent choices to stay out of trouble is far superior to martial arts, combat sports, firearms, etc. Most intelligent people who make good choices will never have a problem, or only an isolated minor one.

Shooting guns and practicing martial arts is alot more fun than making healthy lifestyle choices.

Daily sex is a healthy lifestyle choice. Not sure I agree with you.
1/19/10 10:25 PM
SidRon

laqueus - 
SidRon - 

Daily sex is a healthy lifestyle choice. Not sure I agree with you.

Are we talking single or multiple partners here.
1/20/10 4:29 AM
laqueus

Single.
1/20/10 12:59 PM
John Frankl
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/20/10 12:58 PM
I'm a ninja.
1/20/10 11:25 PM
twinkletoesCT

John Frankl - I'm a ninja.

Sweet.
1/23/10 11:06 AM
Paul Hopkins
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Scott Elliott - was that a typo?

Sorry, I was in a hurry. Should have been "SEARS Bag" after the great Richard Warren Sears. Here is a pic of mine fwiw:

SEARS Bag

What do you carry?
1/25/10 4:39 AM
John Frankl
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a camo Sears bag.
1/25/10 12:07 PM
WidespreadPanic

John Frankl - I have a camo Sears bag.

That way, if you drop it in the woods, no one can find it.  Oh, wait...

1/25/10 8:12 PM
Paul Hopkins

Great tip!

Just off the top of my head: Camoflauged Sears bags could be hidden in plain sight! Fill a few of them up with some spam, fingernail file, snorkel, concertina wire, an 8 * 10 glossy of Toby Keith and a blowgun. Then, scatter them around your bug out rendevous points and you're good to go.
1/26/10 11:51 PM
John Frankl

Paul,

How much do you charge for privates?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.