UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Lateral Thinking By Edward De Bono

1/15/10 5:48 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
LukeCranson
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone find lateral thinking useful? Just bought the book
4/21/10 2:05 PM
Retard
730 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ndfs
4/21/10 2:05 PM
Retard
730 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ndfs
4/21/10 3:36 PM
LukeCranson
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what does ndfs mean?
4/30/10 2:22 AM
Roly_Poly_Puppy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/30/10 2:31 AM
It's ok. I like de Bono's Thinking Course better. Tons of interesting and practical thinking tools to use in that book (you can also find it online).

Should also check out a book called "Conceptual Blockbusting" by James Adams. That's probably my fav creativity book.

edit: I should also say that the "Thinking Course" book covers lateral thinking, but leads up to it with tools for changing your perceptions, which is kinda the difference between creativity and what de bono has classified as lateral thinking i.e. a creative person might be good at changing perceptions on some problem, but they also might "lock in" on some perspective, while de bono claims a lateral thinker -- through the tools he provides -- would still be creative, but can also change his perspective post-creativity.

I don't agree with some of his classifications like distinguishing logic from creativity (the logician CS Peirce has written about abductive reasoning ((*)), which is a form of creative reasoning). Nevertheless, I think his tools are really useful.

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abductive_reasoning
5/5/10 6:10 AM
Dan O'Connell
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.