UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Best striking coaches in MMA ???

1/17/10 4:13 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
droc
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jean Marie Merchet, he's an excellent thai instructor based near Paris, France who knows MMA well enough to be able to adapt his style to the fight. He has a philosophy of working with what a fighter has naturally, rather than trying to make every fighter into a clone of your standard thai boxer.

He used to coach Cyrille Diabate and Xavier Foupa-Pokam, I have seen him make marked improvements in fighters like Jean François Lenogue, David Baron, Karl Amoussou, Christophe Dafreville and Bendy Casimir who train with him regularly. You can check out other fighters at the Haute Tension website http://htmma.com/

He is a thai trained coach and is especially strong in clinch and elbow work.

DROC
1/17/10 7:37 AM
LMFAO

JSMHP - Lots of the coaches mentioned specialize in making really good fighters great fighters. Try a good boxing gym with an old pro who would be willing to give you privates....after awhile of that someone from one of the super gyms will make you look like a genius. Hole in the wall inner city boxing gyms are an amazing place to train...it can just be hard to get attention. But if you don't mind spending a few extra bucks on private attention...you will grow leaps and bounds.A lot of super gyms are overrated when it comes to building talent from the ground up

pretty much the most intelligent post in the whole thread!
1/17/10 8:00 AM
LMFAO

Alot of great striking coaches are considered great wrongly because the fighters they are coaching are high level athletes and they are born this way,also they would become great strikers no matter what art they learn. They have the genetics to become great strikers anyway.

These natural born strikers{athletes} have fast hands..powerful..fast learners..intelligent boxing and striking brain.. the ability to absorb a shot.

Gsp for instance would become great at whatever striking art he took up. If a coach could take an average attributes type of guy ,physically striking wise and turn him into a very good striker..then i would consider this to be outstanding and consider him a great striking coach.but just because gsp{who is extremely physically and mentally talented} has phil nurse as his striking coach does not make phil nurse great.

Randy Couture for instance has not got great attributes for striking,id say average,yet his coaches have took his abilities and made the most of them,and quite simply did wonders with them.

There are coaches also who avoid the lime light,dont seek publicity,and are not a "name" i know one who is a pro boxing coach,who understands boxing in mma{every aspect},who coaches a current succesful UFC fighter whos striking and boxing is considered excellent. This coach trains pro mma fighters who are superb strikers like the one i mentioned{hes extremely talented naturally},and guys who are less physically capable and still sturn them into very good strikers. Yet he is unheard of...alot of coaches have made there names on the back of fighters who would be great because of there physical attributes no matter who was there coach.
1/17/10 8:56 AM
Ethan Boyle
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/17/10 9:01 AM
Santino DeFranco - 
Ethan Boyle - In my humble opinion, a straight boxing, MT, or other strictly striking coach is not for MMA. An awesome MMA striking coach is better, someone who knows which striking works for MMA and knows how to incorporate all of the wrestling take down defenses with striking. Good luck finding one, I wish I has a suggestion for you.

I disagree with this statement. I think one should go to the source of what they are looking to work in it's purest form.

If you want to get better takedowns work with pure wrestlers or Judoka's. If you want to get better hands go to a boxing gym same with kick boxing. Learn it in it's purest form even if it doesn't equate to MMA.

After you learn all of your techniques you should modify your individual style accordingly. I also believe that's what your MMA coach is for. Your MMA coach should be able to take your individual skills and blend them and modify them to work for MMA especially the specifics of a gameplan.

Just my opinion.

I see your points.

"Learn it in it's purest form even if it doesn't equate to MMA." and "After you learn all of your techniques you should modify your individual style accordingly", stuff like this bothers me.

MMA is an eclectic sport, you don't need to learn everything from the other combat sports, you just need to learn what works from other combat sports. Purist don't do well in MMA, why would anyone want to learn everything from someone like that? Then the fighter has to decide what is non-sense and what works? I would rather have the purist show me the few techniques that work in MMA that he/she specializes in instead. MT, Greco, BJJ guys all do things that are great and horrible in MMA, why would anyone want to learn the horrible parts? Hey, my only point here that I would like to make is I would rather not learn stuff that does not work in MMA. My best striking coaches have all been mixed technique guys, boxer/wrestler or striker/grappler both who knew what worked for our sport.

But you're right 100% here: "Your MMA coach should be able to take your individual skills and blend them and modify them to work for MMA especially the specifics of a game plan."

For the record, I acknowledge that at the highest levels of the sport you need to have the best coaches from the various combat sports that work plus a great MMA coach to help you sort it all out. Also the best striking coach for MMA is going to have a mixed background and know how to apply it to MMA... making him a great MMA striking coach.
1/17/10 9:13 AM
john joe
398 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fighters Only Magazine, Website Editor
bigtoehold - the owner of mike's gym

i think his name is Mike
1/17/10 12:30 PM
Dougie
938 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/17/10 4:30 PM
vengence - shawn thompkins 
"Tompkins" imo...

1/17/10 12:31 PM
Dougie
938 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kai Tremeche - shawn thompkins shawn thompkins shawn thompkins shawn thompkins shawn thompkins shawn thompkins shawn thompkins shawn thompkins shawn thompkins shawn thompkins shawn thompkins shawn thompkins shawn thompkins shawn thompkins shawn thompkins shawn thompkins shawn thompkins shawn thompkins shawn thompkins shawn thompkins shawn thompkins shawn thompkins shawn thompkins shawn thompkins shawn thompkins shawn thompkins shawn thompkins shawn thompkins shawn thompkins shawn thompkins shawn thompkins shawn thompkins shawn thompkins shawn thompkins shawn thompkins shawn thompkins shawn thompkins
"Tompkins" imo...

1/17/10 12:32 PM
Dougie

Santino DeFranco - I think Shawn Thompkins  
"Tompkins" imo...

1/17/10 1:23 PM
Drewout
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Khunpon in Atlanta or Saekson in Texas
1/17/10 1:59 PM
Santino DeFranco
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ethan,

I do see your point. However, I disagree a bit. A good example is to take a look at kick boxers (Thai Boxers) they have great kicks, knees, elbows, but their hands aren't known to be at the level of a pro boxer. Why not work with a boxing trainer to improve your boxing a bit? It would only help your kick boxing right?

If you take the best parts of each art and add them to your personal repertoire you would certainly have the best skills, no? But one may say "Why not take the stuff you know works and not learn the art in it's purest form?" Well, everyone is different and someone may think that you don't need a certain angle or movement that would only be taught in the purest form, however, you may really like that "certain move" and add it to your game with great success.

I just think that many MMA striking coaches think they know a little too much and I hear "that won't work in MMA" That's kick boxing or boxing and doesn't transfer".

I think the best striking coach will be open minded enough to see that everything has it's place in MMA if applied to the right person and scenario.
1/17/10 2:09 PM
NorthFromHere
309 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1/17/10 2:41 PM
qazzaq

who coached chute boxe. theres your answer.
1/17/10 2:46 PM
Unseen
148 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Eric Delfiero
1/17/10 2:54 PM
Tom Lawlor
484 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Roufusport guys always look awesome.

Barry

Belcher

etc.
1/17/10 3:17 PM
ajl416az

if Thompkins was the best coach, wouldn't more of his guys win standup fights?
Stout got pwnd by Fisher that last fight. 
and Njokuani just blew Horodecki away.   clearly there was a discrepancy in athletic ability, but I don't think Chris landed one clean shot

and while everything should be suited towards MMA, there is no way you should not be spending extensive amounts of time doing pure striking especially when you are developing fundamentals.

if you wanted to get good at BJJ, would you rather learn from the best "BJJ in MMA" guys?  or from the best "BJJ" guys?  its obvious to me.
learning one or two basic attacks and counters through drilling is for a guy in camp.  a guy in a hurry to get some tools so he won't get KOd or he can land a punch that hurts people.

but if you want to be good at striking, you gotta lace up the boots and the gloves and do it for real.
1/17/10 4:30 PM
Dougie

ajl416az - Thompkins the best coach 
It's spelled "Tompkins."

1/17/10 4:43 PM
ajl416az

i didn't get it the first few times it was posted
but the glare is much more menacing now that its been directed towards me
1/17/10 4:58 PM
MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Best two i have ever seen are Pat Miletich and Duke Roufus. Pat is so underrated in this subject and how to blend it with wrestling/mma its crazy.
1/17/10 5:01 PM
TheCoach

Thanks guys for the support..
But like Duke said their are alot of great stand up Coaches out there.
I believe that some fighters match up better with some coaches better than others and vice versa.

As for me only having 3 good guys, I have actually developed 4 different Kickboxing Champions., trained fighters for ShootBoxing and K-1 in Japan both very hight level striking organizationations. I have been involved in many great striking successes in MMA as well. Henderson KO over Wandy, Wandy KO over Jardine, Vitor KO over Terry Martin, Lindland and Franklin. Jay Hieron KO over Jason High and many others.. I have also been given to great honor to train both Bas Rutten and Ray Sefo and train with them.

As for questioning 1 fight to another, that seems to be a lack of understanding the sport we are in. All we can do is our best. Love all you guys.

Hope everyone is helping out with a more important crisis out there in Haiti.

Thanks again for the support and good luck in all of your indeavors.

"The Coach" Shawn Tompkins
1/17/10 5:01 PM
RandomMan
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Paulson.
1/17/10 5:02 PM
e. kaye

In NYC, Bill Schettino.   www.estacadanyc.com
1/17/10 5:09 PM
Cyril Jeff
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Saul Soliz
1/17/10 5:10 PM
Mr.Unbreakable

Eddie Millis is a great stand up Coach, but does not get to much credit in MMA that he diserves. He helped train me along with Boxing coach Beto Castaneda when I beat Victor Valenzala "Joe Boxer" last year at San Manuel for K.O.T.C.  Brian Warren www.unbreakablegym.com
1/17/10 5:13 PM
EKPOGI
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Greg Nelson
1/17/10 5:28 PM
TheCoach

Tons of Great Coaches, Dellegrottte is Awesome, Duke Roufus definately Great, One Kick Nick, I've always thought Pat Miletich had a great understanding of striking for MMA, Rob Kaman,Mike Winklejohn, Rafael Cordeiro trains some good friends of mine, there is also Kit Cope and Shawn Yarborough and Mark Beacher in Vegas these guys know their shit as well.

So many man, its awesome.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.