UnderGround Forums

PhilosophyGround >> Good and entertaining philosophy movies?

10/6/10 3:09 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
LiftStrong
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Santino DeFranco - Revolver. Good flick with Jason Statham. I think Guy Ritchie directed.
This is one of my favorite all time flicks.  Brings into question the ego and how we perceive ourselves.  Some interesting game theory in this one too.  I have a few friends that said it sucked, but I think that is just because they didnt quite catch everything that had happened.

4/16/11 2:02 PM
TheSliceman
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Seventh Seal <<hands down best philosophy movie,, pretty damn entertaining to for an old flick.

I would also say Ghost in the Shell, Beowulf, Planet of the Apes, and The Fountain.

peace
6/23/11 3:10 PM
hiptosser

I am really surprised no one has mentioned an obvious one yet
Connan The Barbarian, it's an Neitschze opera.
6/27/11 5:25 PM
hiptosser

Another obvious one that was missed
2001: A space Odyssey
I think A.C. Clark commented once that the story was almost purely about the triumph of the Uber-Mench over nihlism.
7/17/11 3:11 PM
Poindexter
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Woody Allen's Love and Death
3/25/13 5:06 PM
jon_m
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Way of the Peaceful Warrior"- I'm not sure if it's on Netflix. As usual, the novel is much better, but the movie is still very entertaining and insightful.
3/25/13 9:51 PM
Doublehead

Shit, I have been watching Carrie's Diary for insight lately.   I learn a life lesson every episode. 

10/4/13 1:41 AM
El_Geronimo_de_Gato
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

REVOLVER for sure. As someone else said, a lot of my frineds hated it, but i thought it was amazing, and one of Ritchies best. Liotta gave the performance of his career in that movie.

GHOST IN THE SHELL  by mamoru oshi is great. it was kind of the ground work for the wachowksi siblings MATRIX. He did another film called SKY CRAWLERS available on netflix thats pretty heady.

Several good philosophy docs too.

BEFORE SUNRISE and BEFORE SUNSET also are fantastic.

10/14/13 10:56 PM
duckrabbit
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mother Night
Groundhog Day
Memento
rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead
Bad Lt.
Baxter
for a start...
10/15/13 12:01 AM
Doublehead

Groundhog day confuses me.   He can learn to do all sorts of stuff and he accumulates skills.   What is wrong with sticking to a day like that for a lot of years?   

10/16/13 2:48 PM
NYjojo

We pretty much just used to watch movies in philosophy club freshman year of college. Sliding Doors with Gwyneth Paltrow was a popular one to begin an argument.
10/17/13 2:35 PM
duckrabbit
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Doublehead - 

Groundhog day confuses me.   He can learn to do all sorts of stuff and he accumulates skills.   What is wrong with sticking to a day like that for a lot of years?   

I think it revolves around the Hindu/Buddhist/Platonic notion of karma and rebirth, i.e. the idea that in order for the soul to be finally emancipated from the earthly realm it must be enlightened as to the nature of existence and what one's ideal purpose in life is.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.