UnderGround Forums

Hawai'i Underground >> Anyone Train With Master Kham...?

1/17/10 11:10 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DevinS
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the Thai trainer, haven't heard much about him, but he's listed in the martial arts directory. anyone know where the training is held and what the schedule is like?

if not, any pure Muay Thai schools around otherwise? thanks.
1/17/10 11:19 PM
sufferingsuckatash
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

where do you live?
1/17/10 11:25 PM
DevinS
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kaneohe
1/18/10 2:00 AM
jjmtg
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I trained with Master Kham for many years. I was training with him when we sparred the Kung Fu School from LA in Kapiolani Park at the Thai Festival. I also flew to Las Vegas and then to Venice Beach California to spar and uphold his honor and teaching against a up an coming school that was talking some smack at Redwood Boxing Club.

He has a website that is

www.imissu.org

I have not trained with him for years since training jiu jitsu but Sgt Dave at Kaneohe can vouch for my muay thai or ask Kimo Kries.

I heard he was opening a new school in Sand Island. If you still can't reach him through the website let me know I have his cell. I just don't like to give it out if I don't know you, nothing personal.
1/18/10 5:49 AM
DevinS

thanks, hopefully he's still teaching. that would be great.

Where is Gerard teaching now, Kyokushin?
1/18/10 2:00 PM
jjmtg
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DevinS - thanks, hopefully he's still teaching. that would be great.

Where is Gerard teaching now, Kyokushin?

Devins,

He still trains people but he is very traditional. You have to learn a lot of philosophy of life. 10 rules. Meditation. Then you can learn the martial art.

His shin is like concrete. I am not playing. A tiny "soft" kick will be the worst pain you ever felt in your life.

His blocks can be painless or it can be painfull. His elbows are curved like a talon and almost as solid as his shins.

At one time he trained the Kings guards in Thailand. He trained with monks in meditation and the philosophy of life. I think it is Buddist based but not 100% sure. I don't know if he is pure Cambodian and he always told me that is was from Thai-Lao, is that Laos?

The best part of training with him is that he takes students to Thailand for "training" but turns you lose for 3 days while he goes to the monk temple to meditate and see family.

My classmate met a girl and married her. She's hot!

When Ron ran the Relson Gracie Queen St. Academy he taught out of the Queen st. school and impressed a lot of people with his stand up.

Anyway, he is still training guys and if anyone knows you well enough to vouch have them pm me or call me and then I will give you Master Kham's cell #.
1/18/10 3:20 PM
1911fanatic
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Trained briefly with Master Kham in the early to mid nineties. Good instructor. Gerard is a phenomenal trainer, one of the best at holding pads I've seen. His sense of distance, timing and technique is awesome. And like Kyokusin opined, his shins are like granite.
1/18/10 8:10 PM
MobutuHari

jjmtg - I trained with Master Kham for many years. I was training with him when we sparred the Kung Fu School from LA in Kapiolani Park at the Thai Festival. I also flew to Las Vegas and then to Venice Beach California to spar and uphold his honor and teaching against a up an coming school that was talking some smack at Redwood Boxing Club.

You dojo-stormed them jjmtg?

I remember Kham being around for a LONG time by word of mouth from these Lao monks I knew. Had a few friends who trained with him too. Other acquaintances from college trained in other schools and were the kind with the "their kung fu is no good" attitude re: other schools. Master Kham's students were one of the few I knew that never had that kinda attitude about other styles and gyms, so I always respected that about his school - the traditional respect and philosophy.
1/18/10 10:55 PM
jjmtg

Edited: 01/18/10 10:58 PM
MobutuHari - 
jjmtg - I trained with Master Kham for many years. I was training with him when we sparred the Kung Fu School from LA in Kapiolani Park at the Thai Festival. I also flew to Las Vegas and then to Venice Beach California to spar and uphold his honor and teaching against a up an coming school that was talking some smack at Redwood Boxing Club.

You dojo-stormed them jjmtg?

I remember Kham being around for a LONG time by word of mouth from these Lao monks I knew. Had a few friends who trained with him too. Other acquaintances from college trained in other schools and were the kind with the "their kung fu is no good" attitude re: other schools. Master Kham's students were one of the few I knew that never had that kinda attitude about other styles and gyms, so I always respected that about his school - the traditional respect and philosophy.

After my 3rd year under Master Kham he went to LA for some rest and relaxation. Next thing I hear is that these guys from LA Kung Fu called him out and well, he shin kicked them then healed them with tiger balm. They flew down here and came to the Thai festival to spar our school which we sent them back limping with bruises and respect for Hawaii muay thai guys.

Master Kham decided to open a school in Venice Beach and rented space in Redwood Boxing Club sharing ring time with different schools.

He reported back that the school was basically using his name and teachings to win tournments there against Cung Le's school and another I forget which. They got away from Master Kham's teachings and were not listening to him. Then they were saying Hawaii muay thai sucked, this and that. Anyway, I was already in Las Vegas training and sparring and heard about it.

I called the head of our school and got the info and then flew down there and sparred the guy talking crap. Lets just say, he was very respectful after the spar. He wore all kinds of pad, the hard plastic shin pad, a body pad and head gear. Master Kham called him the Goodyear kick boxer since he had all the rubber on when we sparred. I had fun but word got back that I went over board and Master Kham had a falling out with Mr. Redwood, who owned the gym losing the gym space and training time.

So it was not techinically a dojo storm since it was basically an offshoot of our own school but damn, it was fun. Hahaha.
1/19/10 5:17 AM
Mike Onzuka
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jjmtg, if the wind of one of your kicks flew past me, I would fall down. Forget contact. Cool story.
1/19/10 6:03 AM
DevinS

on a sidenote, anyone know much about M-1 Martial Arts and Fitness with Arthur Wong and Ivan Flores?
1/21/10 1:11 AM
Haynmatman

Master Kham is cool but you have to sit through 45 minutes to an hour of Philosophy. Arthur Wong was an instructor at Fairtex academy in San Fran. Cool guy.
1/21/10 12:59 PM
nuff lurking

didnt he have a class across from romolos? if yes i went for about two months in the late 90s but yeah the 45 min philosophy class was a little to much for me? also some of the philosophy went against my grain. i did like the actual training though!
1/27/10 11:07 AM
DevinS

ttt
1/30/10 12:43 AM
bigpoiboy

For great Muay Thai training you could also check out Doug Owens at Tiger Muay Thai. His school used to be on Sand Island, but now it's at the Harbor ?? shopping center behind Cutter Ford...
1/13/12 1:03 AM
nakara2123

I remember training with Master Kham many years ago.
Winning smile, good looks (for his age), quick, limber, and amazingly strong for his stature. Scary good.

The one thing I do remember the most, was his philosophy.I found it helped out my life quite alot.

Master Kham did want everybody to be a champion in the ring but also to win their lives and be a champion there too. He cared about us all and was sad when he lost alot of them.

He always stressed the importance of the rules and Meditation together with the art because that was how you could do what he did.

Right technique, power, speed, stamina, and meditation. Tose are THE CORE reasons why Thai fighters RARELY lose.

Let me explain.
1/13/12 1:20 AM
nakara2123

Left Hand (Sing Ha):
Pana-Dont get mad, kill, or hurt others.
Athina-Dont steal or take advantage of others.
Kamme-Love everbody the same (equally).
Mouse-Dont lie or make excuses (even to yourself), and
Soura-Dont drink, do drugs, or gamble.
This helps you win "yourself.

Right Hand(Prommovihane):
Metta-Donate (material things like money-clothes), body for helping, even your sound (voice) to teach others or cheer them up/comfort them.
Karouna-Forgive - super hard but can do.
Ou Pekka-Stay the middle path: dont take sides/be fair.
Mou Thi Tha-Support: always support what your loved ones do with no questions asked.
Kamma: Believe in God, Kamma, or the ones that came before you (your family).
This helps you to win "others' or to become charming and to have others love you.

Does this not sound similar to the Ten Commandmants? Is it wrong to ask people to be nicer to others and themselves at the same time?

Muay Thai is a Martial Art, not just brawling. There is reason and beauty behind everything that is learned.
1/13/12 1:46 AM
nakara2123

The meditation part is probably the most rewarding but very difficult.

How hard is it to close your eyes, breate in, breathe out, and then count 1. Breathe in, breathe out, and then count 2 (until you reach 108)? Seems simple but not.

Meditation is the reason why Thai Champions have shins of steel. Elbows like swords, and great presence while in the ring.

Meditation keeps a fighter focused, calm, and the ability to keep his head clear so he will not forget what to do next.

This same training for the mind can also be used for your life as well. It can help you plan your day,have great concentration while working, or help you to think fast on your feet (even during an emergency).

Meditation takes what you learn in training and life, then, makes it better by being able to use all of the wonderful knowledge you gained 100%

Guys, I know you may think this is bologna to you but,, its the truth. Master Kham never wanted to see ANY of his students to fail.

I hope I brought some clarity to traditional Muay Thai for you.

If you would like to learn more about Master Kham, his training, teachings or even try to contact him, please visit his homepage:

www.imissu.org.

If you are unable to reach him, I believe I still have his phone number. If you wish, leave me a message here or at: nakara2123@gmail.com, and I can help you in whatever way I can.

Take it easy guys. I wish you all the best in your training sessions and fights you may be blessed with this year.
1/13/12 3:08 AM
JIMMYNAKS
312 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool story Bro Phone Post
1/13/12 3:08 AM
JIMMYNAKS
312 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL @ "The wind from one of JJMTG's kicks"

Truth!! Phone Post
1/13/12 7:46 AM
DirtyCurty

He is at palolo gym after joe kims class.he is also at sand island. jus saying god bless DC
1/13/12 11:57 PM
junon
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

how did he managed to dig this thread up?

must of been buried under piles and piles of our pointless shit.
1/14/12 4:35 AM
sufferingsuckatash
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

took him weeks of long hard work but his persistence paid off

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.