HolyGround >> book of eli

1/19/10 1:10 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
PembrokePinesVillain
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if you believe in god, go see it
if youre a jew or christian, surely go see it
if you just want to be entertained, go see it

very powerful, and as a christian it was very moving to say the least, but it wasnt a religious movie like the passion or anything. It was good to see a christian in a movie in a good light for a change, most movies that have a christian in it, makes them the crazy one like the lady in "the mist" i hate when they do that.

anyways go see it, its awesome!
1/19/10 9:50 AM
Joe Ray

It ain't that good.
1/26/10 4:58 PM
Grakman

^ yes it is ;)

Just kidding. It is a good movie, and worth seeing in the theater. But the Bible-literalists will love the movie way more than anyone else.

I enjoyed it more than Avatar, particularly because it wasn't so predictable and awash in political correctness.
1/27/10 5:43 AM
Joe Ray

Spoliers....

I was hoping the book was something more than just a KJ bible. I was hoping it was a new religious book that was written after the apocalypse. Seems that would be as good as any time for a prophet to get to work scribing a new holy text.

And are we supposed to believe Eli got as far as he did and did all he did while blind and guided purely by faith?
1/27/10 9:46 PM
Grakman

^ No, we're led to believe Eli got as far as he did because he was protected by God. He even said this himself in the movie.
1/29/10 12:15 PM
Grakman

TigerDriver - here's the trailor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKfZrbS79To

Not what I was expecting at all. The cinamatography looks excellent, plot looks intriguing but after seeing the main character kill several people in the trailer, its difficult for me to see him as anything other than demonic.
You ought to read through the Old Testament sometime. ;)

1/30/10 8:39 PM
Grakman

TigerDriver - 
Grakman - 
TigerDriver - here's the trailor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKfZrbS79To

Not what I was expecting at all. The cinamatography looks excellent, plot looks intriguing but after seeing the main character kill several people in the trailer, its difficult for me to see him as anything other than demonic.
You ought to read through the Old Testament sometime. ;)

Yeshua was a God realized man, but it is my belief that alot of the ot is influenced by man, so is demonic.

At least you are consistent!  :)
2/1/10 1:27 AM
PembrokePinesVillain

the bible is chalked full of rightous men killing others.....killing innocent people is obvious a no no but killing some murderer when he tries to murder you....im pretty sure its ok, especially when your mission FROM GOD is to protect the book you are holding. Moses drownd like 500 soldiers and im pretty sure it wasnt considered sin.
2/18/10 4:48 PM
CJJScout
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Folks forget that when Jesus comes back, it will be militant.

Great movie.
2/18/10 9:45 PM
Grakman

I'm just wondering if God / Allah also led a blind man on a 30-year journey to deliver the Torah and the Koran. And what about those pesky Mormons? I wonder if God sent two of them to deliver the Book of Mormon...
4/7/10 11:48 AM
truthisalive
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Grakman -  I'm just wondering if God / Allah also led a blind man on a 30-year journey to deliver the Torah and the Koran. And what about those pesky Mormons? I wonder if God sent two of them to deliver the Book of Mormon...

its a movie man....lol...some people....
4/7/10 4:15 PM
Grakman

truthisalive - 
Grakman -  I'm just wondering if God / Allah also led a blind man on a 30-year journey to deliver the Torah and the Koran. And what about those pesky Mormons? I wonder if God sent two of them to deliver the Book of Mormon...

its a movie man....lol...some people....

Er.. really? I thought it was a recording of events in the future captured by a time traveler! Wow! Sorry about that! Duh!

My post was tongue in cheek, but how bout this phrasing - in the context of the movie, in the plot, were they implying that the other holy books were delivered / saved in the same manner as the Bible?

What's the point of discussing the plot of a movie if you can't ask questions because 'it's a movie, man?'
5/27/10 3:12 AM
truthisalive
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I didn't intend to offend you. That was short sighted of me, I apologize.
5/27/10 6:47 PM
Grakman

truthisalive - I didn't intend to offend you. That was short sighted of me, I apologize.

No problem man, very big of you to stop back by this thread and apologize, I appreciate it.
6/24/10 10:34 AM
770mdm
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sadly disappointed overall.  I liked the fight scenes.  I felt there should have been a more fitting place for the Bible in the story.  Ultimately it was a good story but when the guy got all freaked at his soldiers bringing back the wrong books I felt, in the moment, that it was a misplaced concern.  He should have  been more concerned about food, water, gas or electricity or something.  When I found out most of those concerns were addressed why he was upset I understood but they didn't make it an overriding concern.  Anyway the story was slow, and every scene was the same.  
Anyway, at the end when they showed the newly printed Bible being put in the bookcase there was an Artscroll publication of the  Hebrew English Tenach.  Which is Torah, Prophets & Writings.  So just the entire Christian theme was just too much.  Christianity never built a society from nothing like the Torah did, it just changed existing societies never built anything from the ground up.  That's the impossibility of the NT, it converts, the Torah build the first societies from the first two people.  So, I think they had good ideas but it wasn't a good delivery.  
6/25/10 7:11 PM
Lahi
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gonna watch it tonight.
6/27/10 11:15 PM
Breezah
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thought the ending could have been better
7/5/10 9:05 PM
truthisalive

770mdm - Sadly disappointed overall.  I liked the fight scenes.  I felt there should have been a more fitting place for the Bible in the story.  Ultimately it was a good story but when the guy got all freaked at his soldiers bringing back the wrong books I felt, in the moment, that it was a misplaced concern.  He should have  been more concerned about food, water, gas or electricity or something.  When I found out most of those concerns were addressed why he was upset I understood but they didn't make it an overriding concern.  Anyway the story was slow, and every scene was the same.  
Anyway, at the end when they showed the newly printed Bible being put in the bookcase there was an Artscroll publication of the  Hebrew English Tenach.  Which is Torah, Prophets & Writings.  So just the entire Christian theme was just too much.  Christianity never built a society from nothing like the Torah did, it just changed existing societies never built anything from the ground up.  That's the impossibility of the NT, it converts, the Torah build the first societies from the first two people.  So, I think they had good ideas but it wasn't a good delivery.  

lol....where the Spirit of God is there is liberty....the new testament is the progression of Gods plan...its the next step from the torah...torah contains the law which condemns and causes death and eternal seperation from God, but without the torah we wouldnt know of God and his law then we wouldnt even know what sin was...but now through faith, grace, and GODS sacrifice a remnant is rescued from the condemnation of the law(torah, yea I know the first 5 books of GODS word). This is the next level...ahhh sometimes you really piss me off :)
7/5/10 11:26 PM
the rooster

ms: . Christianity never built a society from nothing like the Torah did, it just changed existing societies never built anything from the ground up. That's the impossibility of the NT, it converts, the Torah build the first societies from the first two people. So, I think they had good ideas but it wasn't a good delivery.

me: Christianity is Judaism. Paul says that the wild olive branch has bene grafted in. It's foundation was the law and the prophets.

that's like saying Judaism didn't start anything it was Abraham who wasn't a "jew" or Noah, or Enoch, etc that really was the foundation of transformation of society.

Man, christianity is the fufillment of judaism.
7/8/10 1:26 PM
770mdm
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How is Christianity the progression of G-d's plan?  What is the next step that the Torah doesn't address?  And how is Christianity the fulfillment of Judaism?  Where does Judaism stop and Christianity start?  

7/10/10 8:16 PM
Grakman

770mdm - Where does Judaism stop and Christianity start? 

Jesus Christ.
7/11/10 10:13 AM
770mdm

Fine then where does Jesus Christ end and Allah start?  Where does John Smith start.  And your answer is a meaningless name if that's what your going to give.  I think you guys know what kind of answer I'm looking for.  There's nothing in the NT the OT doesn't address so I ask again, Oh and Jesus was a Jew not a Christian by any means.  So how does that work? 
8/10/10 11:47 PM
Grakman

770,  Christians consider Jesus Christ the Messiah, Jews do not. This is about as obvious as it gets. This is where Judaism ends and Christianity begins. Jesus taught from the OT, referring a number of different passages as speaking about himself,  he himself was Jewish so Christians view their religion as a fulfillment of the Jewish - Jesus was the Messiah that the Jews had been waiting for.

As for Jesus and Allah, well, the same may be said of Islam and Christianity. Islam accepts Jesus as a prophet and nothing more.

Christianity is all about Jesus Christ. All the rest are just peripheral to him.
8/13/10 11:55 AM
770mdm

Judaism never ends.  G-d gave the Torah to humanity as a blueprint to live by not as a staging point for a unrecognized Massiah.  Yes, unrecognized because Jesus's followers were, yes some Jews, but mostly converted Pagens.  Christianity really gained it's strength through the Pagens who converted into Christianity.  Judaism stayed True (and stays as true as possible given the current state of the world) to that original blueprint where Christianity fell off the path, went in another direction.  Don't get me wrong Judaism recognizes the Good that Christianity does and has done, appreciates it, but what were talking about is a path divergence.  

The idea Christians "see" Jesus in the Torah is no big deal.  "Everything relevant to life is in it" so it's no strange thought that a good Christian would see his G-d in it.  It's a semantical difference of opinion, weather he's in it or not, it's the idea of Salvation which is a very strong theme in Judaism.  Christianity just applied it to Jesus's outlook on the Torah.

Deut: 13:2...
If there should stand up in your midst a prophet or a dreamer of a dream, and he will produce to you a sign or a wonder, and the sign or wonder comes about, of which he spoke to you, saying "Let us follow other G-ds that you did not know and we shall worship them"- do not harken to the words of that prophet or to that dreamer of a dream, for Hashem, your G-d, is testing you to know whether you love Hashem, your G-d, with all your heart and with all your soul.  

That Prophet is Jesus  That dreamer is Paul.  Paul says Jesus is G-d.

This is major offensive, I'm sure, but Torah is pretty strict on this stuff.  I know if I say "but no offense" that's even more demeaning or offensive.  Please don't take this as character assassination, I put this in the body of my response for the purpose and in the spirit of healthy debate.  

You: Christianity is all about Jesus Christ. All the rest are just peripheral to him. 

Me: That's the problem.  The focus shifted from being directed on G-d to being directed and focused on another Jew.  In Judaism the Massiah and G-d are not necessarily the same thing.  Not necessarily because I see Everything Is G-d so You me and everything is G-d and If Jesus lived in any form or shape He'd be G-d as well but the Pantheistic view would Christian view would view Jesus as G-d but the Jewish view, a Panentheistic view, would be Jesus is G-d in the same way everything else is too.  

8/13/10 11:56 AM
770mdm

Christianity is all about Jesus Christ. All the rest are just peripheral to him. 

That's the problem.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.