UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Where will MMA be ten years from now?

1/22/10 8:24 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
humphrey sphinctermuscle
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zamiel - 
Mmanizzle - Strikeforce is a promotion, MMA is the sport noob...

Then why do they call Mousasi the STRIKEFORCE light heavyweight champion, idiot?

jesus christ man, step away from the keyboard. you are looking really dumb.
1/22/10 8:53 AM
PhillyFights
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sometimes I think the UFC/MMA will go the way of texas hold em poker. Got really really popular, then almost totally died down, but still more popular than it was before....But MMA will never be the biggest sport in the world becuase there aren't enough people who are willing to fight. Especially if they are talented enough to go make millions elsewhere. A lot of people look down on fighting period. There will never be enough people willing to get locked in a cage with another man who wants to take his head off.
1/22/10 9:33 AM
barbarino

Its at its peak right now, will fade a bit then stay at that level.
A lot of people I know who were totally into it a few years back could care less now about watching most MMA. including myself.
1/22/10 11:34 AM
Bereal

It is astounding to hear people come on here and claim that MMA will be more popular than the NFL in 10 years.

Think about the NFL:

-A typical NFL Monday night football game trumps any MMA event in viewers. Ever.
-Look at the fantasy football effect. So many armchair QB's ranging from middle-age dads to middle school kids are hooked to the NFL due to fantasy football.
-The Super Bowl is easily the most watched event of the year with corporations unloading millions on millions of dollars to simply place an ad come Super Bowl Sunday.
-Look at NFL stars and their endorsement deals. Now look at MMA stars. How many times have you seen Peyton Manning in a commercial? Now how many times have you seen Fedor?

Sometimes MMA fans have such blinders on it is ridiculous. MMA won't even come close to sniffing the NFL's popularity in 10 years. It is ignorant to even toy with the notion. As the Super Bowl approaches and the media circus goes full swing focusing on one NFL game, seriously stop and think about how stupid the thought that MMA will be more popular than the NFL in a decade.
1/22/10 4:53 PM
sparkuri

Mmanizzle - 

Since 1993 when Royce was tappin fools out before everyone knew what an armbar was, the sport has grown in epic proportions.  Public acceptance, fighters being more well rounded, styles transitioning from one to the next, more reversals and defenses, new offenses and aspects of MMA are displayed in fights, etc.  Where will it be ten years from now?  Will UFC and Strikeforce still be around?  Will Randy still be fighting?

MMA will be in a nuclear holocaust like the rest of the world.     Good times.
1/22/10 5:57 PM
BUFFGEO
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In all honestly I think MMA with be well on its way out if not totally gone in another decade
2/3/10 2:37 AM
Mmanizzle

ken amtrack - Amazing how quick some people can come up with beefcake shots...each to his own

LOL
2/3/10 2:39 AM
Mmanizzle

PhillyFights - 
Zamiel - 

Then why do they call Mousasi the STRIKEFORCE light heavyweight champion, idiot?

For the same reason they call Joe Mauer the American League MVP...Many different leagues playing the same sport

exactly - sorry that back fired on you noob :)
2/3/10 2:41 AM
Mmanizzle

BUFFGEO - In all honestly I think MMA with be well on its way out if not totally gone in another decade

never, it survived the dark ages, it'll still be around and I see it being an Olympic sport...
2/3/10 6:37 AM
pe0

Mmanizzle - 
PhillyFights - 
Zamiel - 

For the same reason they call Joe Mauer the American League MVP...Many different leagues playing the same sport

mmanizzle with a join date of 09 calls Zamiel a noob (with a join date of 07), the noob calling continues as all the fucking noob idiots miss the whole joke. Funny shit.
2/3/10 1:09 PM
unioncitytopteam

www.youtube.com/user/UnionCityTopTeam
will be primed and ready
2/3/10 2:19 PM
PhillyFights
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CHINESEFOOD - 
PhillyFights - Sometimes I think the UFC/MMA will go the way of texas hold em poker. Got really really popular, then almost totally died down, but still more popular than it was before....But MMA will never be the biggest sport in the world becuase there aren't enough people who are willing to fight. Especially if they are talented enough to go make millions elsewhere. A lot of people look down on fighting period. There will never be enough people willing to get locked in a cage with another man who wants to take his head off.

Are you retarded? There are tons of people willing to fight.

Enough to make it the biggest sport in the world?.....And yes, I am retarded
2/3/10 5:22 PM
GladiatorGannon
295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

EckY -  There will be a lot more fight not to lose point fighter type guys imo.

Unless of course they get around to modifying the ridiculous scoring system to encourage fighters to finish.

Fighters fight to the rule set they're in.
2/3/10 5:25 PM
GladiatorGannon
295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

EckY - 
IrishRottie - Most popular sport in the world. Wont be the biggest in terms of revenue.

No chance whatsoever for both.

It will NEVER be as big as football (soccer).

MMA will never be as big as football (soccer) worldwide, of Football (football) in the US, but it could get bigger than football worldwide. Boxing is a huge International Sport, and MMA is capable of being bigger than that.
2/3/10 5:27 PM
GladiatorGannon

Bereal - It is astounding to hear people come on here and claim that MMA will be more popular than the NFL in 10 years.

Think about the NFL:

-A typical NFL Monday night football game trumps any MMA event in viewers. Ever.
-Look at the fantasy football effect. So many armchair QB's ranging from middle-age dads to middle school kids are hooked to the NFL due to fantasy football.
-The Super Bowl is easily the most watched event of the year with corporations unloading millions on millions of dollars to simply place an ad come Super Bowl Sunday.
-Look at NFL stars and their endorsement deals. Now look at MMA stars. How many times have you seen Peyton Manning in a commercial? Now how many times have you seen Fedor?

Sometimes MMA fans have such blinders on it is ridiculous. MMA won't even come close to sniffing the NFL's popularity in 10 years. It is ignorant to even toy with the notion. As the Super Bowl approaches and the media circus goes full swing focusing on one NFL game, seriously stop and think about how stupid the thought that MMA will be more popular than the NFL in a decade.

I think MMA might do more total revenue than football within 10 years.
2/3/10 6:56 PM
RobbieH

Edited: 02/03/10 7:50 PM
I see it eventually getting more watered down.then fans will lose interest, and it will go in a cycle. Right now it's the "In" thing for kids and young adults, just as Pro Wrestling was in the 90's and 00's.

Many of the old school guys that helped get the sport into mainstream by word of mouth and supporting it durin g the "dark ages" are losing interest in it due to the rules, jack of all type fighters,  cookie cutter type fights...just look at posts here..and this forum consists of the hardest core fans of the sport! Seems the negativity is growing more and more, and the excitement is fading... if guys that have been following since the beginning are getting tired of it..that doesn't look good...that would only leave Casual Bandwagon type fans, and we know they will jump to the next "in thing" in a heartbeat... People are influenced by what's Popular..just look at the "Jersey Shore" show! lmao  Something gets popular..then everyone jumps on board, then it goes out of style for the next big thing...

Martial Arts have always been popular due to movies and "mysticism" involving it... but Martial Art Sports haven't always been sustainable, such as Kickboxing, Pro Karate, et ecetera..other than Olympic events and even those take a back seat. Back in the early 90's when I kickboxed I used to hear my coaches and other guys talk about Kickboxing like it was the next HUGE sport, just never REALLY caught on.... MMA has been marketed well, and has captured a lot of Pro Wrestling fans and martial artists..but I don't see it overtaking any of the Really popular sports like Football, Basketball et cetera which are in every school in the country and kids are groomed into it from childhood. I could never get into those, but I always enjoyed Martial Arts because I trained...so MMA was the perfect sport to me.. but most new fans are NOT Hardcore Martial Artists and they can't REALLY relate..they are just hipsters looking to try and be cool or look "tough"...I mean look how many people say they are "Ultimate Fighters" these days...

2/3/10 9:39 PM
Mmanizzle

pe0 - 
Mmanizzle - 
PhillyFights - 
Zamiel - 

mmanizzle with a join date of 09 calls Zamiel a noob (with a join date of 07), the noob calling continues as all the fucking noob idiots miss the whole joke. Funny shit.

LOL, so you join in 2004 and you know more that everyone. I've been following the sport since 1993 fool...
2/3/10 9:47 PM
Mmanizzle

pe0 - if you watched fights since 1993 to see MMA evolve the way it has today or even the Tito vs F. Shamrock fight live, during that time that fight was the biggest fight in MMA, I may have some respect for you, but if you just started watching in 2004, don't waste my time if you wanna go there - beeeatch...
2/3/10 9:52 PM
CRBMoney14

Hopefully not 10 PPVS in a half a year
2/3/10 10:10 PM
DaveGarcia
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PhillyFights - Sometimes I think the UFC/MMA will go the way of texas hold em poker. Got really really popular, then almost totally died down, but still more popular than it was before....But MMA will never be the biggest sport in the world becuase there aren't enough people who are willing to fight. Especially if they are talented enough to go make millions elsewhere. A lot of people look down on fighting period. There will never be enough people willing to get locked in a cage with another man who wants to take his head off.
I miss the days of people lurking for years before posting.

2/3/10 11:05 PM
ironbear
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Moth you might be onto something!!!
3/13/10 4:42 PM
Mmanizzle

Edited: 03/13/10 4:43 PM
with Flash Entertainment tappin the Asia market, the exposure is gettin bigger... Just wait till they can book something in China...
3/13/10 6:27 PM
Steelersfan 24 7

I don't see it getting much bigger than it is in the USA. I think it will sustain it's popularity in the states but should continue to grow worldwide. It will never be as popular as the mainstream sports in America.
3/13/10 9:58 PM
StretchPlum

Agree
3/13/10 11:09 PM
RAMP
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I dont know. But I should have my YAMMA Black Belt by then.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.