UnderGround Forums

Wrestling UnderGround >> Fun wrestling games for my middle school team?

1/20/10 2:17 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Tommy Gunnz
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone have any ideas for fun wrestling games for my middle school team? I've got king of the mat, takedown tournament, and king of the cradle so far but can't remember any more.
1/20/10 7:23 PM
Tommy Gunnz
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sumo tournament and king of the mat are the same thing, but thanks
1/21/10 5:09 PM
wrestlerguy04
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who can hit a stand up the fastest. Just have everyone in referees position. And have everyone match up with someone and whoever stands up faster wins..make it a big tournament. Teaches explosion.

Take flag football flags or have them take their shirts and put them in the back of their shorts and see who can take whose flag the most in a certain amount of time or in a minute or something. Teaches to keep your opponent on front of you. Also to scramble a bit, and shift your weight.
1/27/10 1:50 PM
Seul
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We played a game where we divided everyone into two groups and put them on opposite sides of a line; the goal was to see which side could pull everyone from the other side to their side of the line.

As soon as you got pulled to the other side, you switched teams and had to pull for them.

It was pretty fun, but a sumo tournament is more fun imo. We did that in judo before, it's pretty entertaining.
1/28/10 10:38 PM
DaddyO4
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Divide the team in two.Have each team select a "king" and only let the coach and not the other team know who it is.

Each team reports to a different end of the mat until the coach says go.The wrestlers all attack each other from the knees and work to pin members of the other team.As guys are pinned they are eliminated and there team will be shorthanded.The losing team could win by either catching up by pinning more guys or by pinning the other team's "king".
1/29/10 9:52 PM
Sortilege
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've got a million wrestling games, a couple off the top of my head:

- Attach clothespins to various parts of the body that you want to work on (say around the knees for a double leg or around the hips or around behind the shoulders or wherever) and then have a game of who can take the other person's clothespins without losing theirs first. Teaches all sorts of things depending on how you position the pins and the rules.

- Knee slap game. Everytime you slap your opponent's knees you get 1 point, everyime they slap your knee they get a point. First to 3 (or 4 or 5 of whatever) wins. Teaches hand fighting, set ups, etc.

- Take the back. You win by getting behind your opponent. Sometimes the game is just to get behind them, sometimes it's you have to get behind them while standing.

That the kind of stuff you're looking for in games / drills?
1/31/10 3:32 PM
Tommy Gunnz

"Each team reports to a different end of the mat until the coach says go.The wrestlers all attack each other from the knees and work to pin members of the other team.As guys are pinned they are eliminated and there team will be shorthanded.The losing team could win by either catching up by pinning more guys or by pinning the other team's "king"

I did this the other day and the kids absolutely loved it. I was on one team and my assistant was on the other team and for some reason my team got smashed and it ended up just me against the other coach and 7 kids lol. I will try some of these other games this week. Thanks to everyone who replied.
2/9/10 11:36 AM
catch wrestler
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvZPmBjRS4Y
4/6/10 1:41 AM
McSpice
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/06/10 1:40 AM
 My favorite game in high school was a game we called cap bands where we would put an ankle strap (the ones you wear during a match) on each ankle and its every man for himself. You were out of the game when you either lost both ankle bands or were pushed out of bounds. Our wrestling room had 2 mats so when the game first started we used both mats. When about 1/2 of the people were out we would shorten the boundaries to 1 mat.

Man that game was so much fun! It didnt matter how tired I was, once coach yelled "CAP BANDS!" I was suddenly rejuvenated lol!  
4/11/10 10:30 AM
QUENTEN

EliteFightCompany, Owner
 Have each wrestler take off their shirt and make a "tail" in the back of their shorts. Have wrestlers attempt to grab the other wrestlers "tail" without getting their tail pulled. Hand control, movement, distance and defense are priorities. 

Have one wrestler hold out arms to make himself a "Tree". Partner wrestler, similar weight, jumps on "Tree" wrestlers back like he is getting a piggyback ride. Wrestler on partners back attempts to crawl and navigate as many times as he can around "Tree" wrestler without letting any part of his body touch the ground. I have seen wrestlers crawl through "Tree" partners legs and climb up the body before. Emphasis on positioning, balance, handles, grip strength. 

4/12/10 4:31 PM
Krupp

DaddyO4 - Divide the team in two.Have each team select a "king" and only let the coach and not the other team know who it is.

Each team reports to a different end of the mat until the coach says go.The wrestlers all attack each other from the knees and work to pin members of the other team.As guys are pinned they are eliminated and there team will be shorthanded.The losing team could win by either catching up by pinning more guys or by pinning the other team's "king".

This is a very fun game. We used to do it in practice all the time. Great way to take the monotone rhythm out of a session.
5/15/10 9:15 PM
BTTMike
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

QUENTEN - 
Have one wrestler hold out arms to make himself a "Tree". Partner wrestler, similar weight, jumps on "Tree" wrestlers back like he is getting a piggyback ride. Wrestler on partners back attempts to crawl and navigate as many times as he can around "Tree" wrestler without letting any part of his body touch the ground. I have seen wrestlers crawl through "Tree" partners legs and climb up the body before. Emphasis on positioning, balance, handles, grip strength. 
<br type="_moz" />

Started doing this with my HS team. Kids dont think this is fun, and its brutal.

Old school Jiu Jitsu game.
6/30/10 5:13 PM
vintirex
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

slap back!
9/17/10 1:37 AM
parklife
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

vintirex - slap back!

we did this too
9/21/10 1:43 PM
Maloverde
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sharks and Fish - wrestlers (fish) line up on one end of the mat.  One wrestler (shark) is in the middle.  Fish must remain on hands and knees and crawls as fast as they can to the other end of the mat.  Shark must turn fish onto their back.  Once a fish is turned, he/she becomes a shark.  Repeat until only one fish remains.

Dodge Ball - everyone loves dodge ball

10/13/10 12:24 PM
ds450
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/13/10 12:26 PM
cap bands was my favorite, too.
10/17/10 1:13 PM
gorillagrappling

Really? Nobody said foot tag yet. All wrestlers fir themselves. Line up on the big circle and on the whistle, guard your feet. If one of your feet is touched, you are eliminated. Play until there is one remaining. Do it again. Great for down time during tournaments too. Keeps all your guys on the may and staying loose. Not much chance of being injured. Phone Post
10/18/10 5:51 AM
Maloverde
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gorillagrappling -  Really? Nobody said foot tag yet. All wrestlers fir themselves. Line up on the big circle and on the whistle, guard your feet. If one of your feet is touched, you are eliminated. Play until there is one remaining. Do it again. Great for down time during tournaments too. Keeps all your guys on the may and staying loose. Not much chance of being injured. Phone Post
We call it ankle tag.  You're right, it is a staple for us.

10/19/10 12:07 PM
Tommy Gunnz

got my contract in the mail last week, can't wait for the new season. last year was my first time coaching and I learned a lot and had an unbelievable experience.
12/14/10 8:16 AM
drmccarty

Dont know if it's too late but the rope game... Take a rope or shirt wrapped in tape and each wrestler grabs an end if you let go you loose... You try whatever you can to break your opponents grip on the rope last man standing wins Phone Post
12/14/10 3:31 PM
Maloverde

drmccarty -  Dont know if it's too late but the rope game... Take a rope or shirt wrapped in tape and each wrestler grabs an end if you let go you loose... You try whatever you can to break your opponents grip on the rope last man standing wins Phone Post
It's never too late, brosef.  Great addition!  We also do the wrestler's handshake.  Each wrestler gets in their stance and grasps each other's right forearm.  Staying in their stance they try to push, pull or otherwise knock the other off balance or out of the practice circle.

12/14/10 9:21 PM
Tommy Gunnz

Good shit guys my new season starts Jan 24 I will definitely be using some of these! Keep em comin!!! Phone Post
5/10/11 11:25 AM
Theakston

Wolves and cariboo -
one athlete is on his knees and hands, all others are standing. They can't leave the wrestling surface, and the down wrestledr must pull down a cariboo. When the cariboo hits the mats, it becomes a wolf, and the pack continues to grow until only one wrestler is left standing. This stud gets to be the wolf in the next round.

Lift or die -
All wrestlers are in a free for all on the wrestling surface where they must not get lifted for a one count. If the wrestler is lifted from the mat and has no contact with it for a full second, he must sit on the side. Teaches pummelling and lifting skills, hip placement, etc.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.