UnderGround Forums

JKD UnderGround >> Rodney King's Street Boxing

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

1/22/10 9:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Lord Kancho
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is this really a good idea? Standing there and letting an opponent wail on your arms? I know when I was in boxing I used a very similar defense, but I also know that the guys that were bouncing their punches off my gloves... I wouldn't want my bare arms shielding against their bare knuckles. They would sneak something bad through really quickly.

It's application is so simple, it's probably easy to pick up. Isn't there an easy, in-and-out striking type of defense that can be taught.

Sorry if this makes no sense. I've been having insomnia and am waiting for a pill to kick in.
1/22/10 11:50 PM
WidespreadPanic
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/22/10 11:50 PM
 Look at his entire method closely. He's not letting an opponent wail on his arms.

He's got foot work, and he is moving his arms, using the elbow points. It's not just a simple 'peek-a-boo' type defense.

AND...it's better than a lot of what is taught out there - i.e. having your arms out like a karate guy trying to block punches using rising blocks and parries (much, much too slow), and unlike using boxing methods without gloves, which also include parries.

Note how this kind of movement and positioning compares with Ray Floro's methods. The idea being you want your hands to be positioned in a way that you're wasting no time moving them around in front of your head. The hands (and with Floro the knife) is right there in front of your face, in their final position, not reaching out or moving back. With Kind's method you're moving at angles also. You're not standing there arms parallel (or perpendicular to the ground), you're making an angle, moving the elbow, moving your body.

1/24/10 11:28 PM
laqueus

You don't just stand there letting him flail, that's for the first couple seconds (or less), while you get your bearings and react. It's targeted at people who aren't good at boxing (like me). I used it to good effect to survive standup long enough to get into clinch range and take the fight down. In that context it's pretty good. It's also pretty good if you just want to not get KOed and then run like hell. There's a lot more to Rodney King's system, but at the very base level, that's how it's useful.
1/25/10 1:25 AM
BJJStudent

My BJJ instructor is a professional MT fighter in Thailand and an instructor under King. He teaches CM boxing defense as the stand-up part of curriculum at our school. I am no expert on this, just trying to learn it, and it seems very effective. I know in the past King trained at extensively at Fairtex in Thailand. I reguarly train at a MT camp, and many of the trainers, teach shielding methods very similar to King for elbows, punches, etc.

I agree with Laques at the target market. For me, it helps me be able to spar with some type of game plan each time as I try and improve my boxing footwork, angles, etc.
1/25/10 6:52 AM
Seul
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have had the same experience, it helped me survive against better guys a little easier than I did before (I've only watched the tapes and played around with the drills).

The hardest thing for me about standup was trying to avoid getting rattled when under pressure, it helped me feel a lot more comfortable when someone starts to unload on me.
1/25/10 11:47 AM
WidespreadPanic

Edited: 01/25/10 11:47 AM
 I'd suggest that everyone but those who have top-class boxing skills to get Rodney's vids. There's a lot of good training stuff in there, and he goes through the 'how'.

He focusses on Defense First, which is something a lot of boxing programs don't teach that well, imo.

You might say 'oh, pfft, defense...just keep your hands up'. But there's a lot of finesse and a lot of basic stuff that you need to know.

I agree with posters above that it's primarily designed to help beginners and non-boxers survive. But it's not just about gloved boxing. He covers bare handed defense and has some great footwork drills in there that even good boxers should practice daily.

It's all about timing and movement and ranging (*). You don't stand still. Your defense is -active- not passive.

HTH

(*) maintaining a certain range, spiraling, etc.

2/12/10 4:57 PM
meatballcheeze

He used to post on here, until someone asked him why he puts

highlights of himself beating up on obvious scrubs on his

tapes. He got quite mad, and disappeared......
2/14/10 11:38 PM
JRockwell
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CM has saved my ass so many times, it's a great system if used the way it's taught.
2/16/10 2:20 PM
Kai Tremeche

ttt
2/16/10 3:45 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"""Is this really a good idea? Standing there and letting an opponent wail on your arms?"""

That's not the idea at all.

It's important to realize that 90% of the knucledraggers out there are going for your head. Head defense is a skill. Defending you head in long range and while closing is of extreme importance and value.

If that's all you get out of it you've learned something very important.

Demi
2/16/10 3:59 PM
Kai Tremeche

Demitrius Barbito - """Is this really a good idea? Standing there and letting an opponent wail on your arms?"""

That's not the idea at all.

It's important to realize that 90% of the knucledraggers out there are going for your head. Head defense is a skill. Defending you head in long range and while closing is of extreme importance and value.

If that's all you get out of it you've learned something very important.

Demi

It's an important thing to learn. In fact, I used to do a trick where I'd take the monkey position with only the left arm up, and show how effective it was by letting people 'wail on my arm', to also show how some people just want to use their right hand.
2/16/10 5:49 PM
laqueus

That'll fuck you up when a southpaw sucker punches you though. Valid point, but I think you'd want both hands up first.
2/16/10 5:55 PM
Kai Tremeche

Laqueus: This was backyard boxing against people who never trained. Also not a southpaw in the group.
2/17/10 3:55 AM
Boyscout
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/17/10 3:56 AM
Lord Kancho,

I would say: try it and see. I come from a long boxing backgrund and I tried the CM and now that's all I use.

Rodney is a genius but like all "systems" you have to actully try it under pressure with somebody standing in front of you, trying to take your head off to see its true value.

CM is also the best way I have seen to bring new students in to sparring.

All the best either way.Richard
2/18/10 2:31 PM
acid jazz
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Doesn't CM have a beginners punch too, the caveman or something like that?
2/19/10 7:15 PM
laqueus

It's got a variety of punches. It also mixes in with other things Rodney teaches.
1/21/11 8:35 PM
kohi
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Free 6-day video course on CMD basics now available at www.crazymonkeydefense.com
1/26/11 10:57 PM
OneScoup

It's going to take years of hard work, pain and head trauma to really learn to box. If you're not willing to put in that commitment (which 99.9999% of people are not), then Rodney's approach is a very good one.
1/27/11 9:38 AM
HEMAN
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He answers yo question in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHJGfJmj4I4&feature=related
1/27/11 5:42 PM
BJJSavate

Demitrius Barbito - """ Head defense is a skill. Defending you head in long range and while closing is of extreme importance and value.

Demi

This!
1/28/11 3:41 PM
WidespreadPanic

IMO, CMB can bring up your striking game significantly in just a long seminar weekend. It's intuitive, and has a very logical structure and practice method.

2/8/11 10:42 PM
hugomma
1396 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a good friend who is in his late forties, was 66-6 in Golden Gloves, 20-0 in amateur kickboxing, is just got his brown belt in BJJ.

A couple of years ago, he won an amateur MMA match against a guy half his age & was embarrassed about it cause he said he felt like an old guy trying to prove something. He used to post here till the trolls took over. He's semi-retired, & a very smart guy outside of martial arts and training.

Anyway, my friend big on Crazy Monkey & Rodney King's teaching methods. He actually took the time to explore the system outside of just YouTube videos & hearsay. This is a guy with like a 90% + win rate. If it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me.
2/13/11 9:35 PM
HEMAN
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One last thing to add. CRAZY MONKEY is geared to street and mma boxing. The blocks are design to deal against bare knuckle and mma gloves.
4/9/11 6:19 PM
PoundforPound
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/09/11 6:19 PM
I find it interesting that the Straight Blast Gym guys have moved away from using Crazy Monkey.
4/9/11 9:12 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless and add from experience that which is specifically your own.

Move on...

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.