UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> Firearms theory?

1/24/10 3:01 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
droc
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've never handled a gun (I grew up in Ireland in the city and now live in France), but would like to learn and think that it's important to be able to use a firearm correctly and safely.

I recently found out that there's a shooting range with a sport shooting (pistol and rifle) club associated with it and intend to pay a visit as soon as I start working again and have some money.

In the meantime, can anyone recommend any resources (preferably free) that I should be reading, whether it be on firearm safety,  choosing the right weapon or pretty much anything regarding firearms or shooting.

Thanks

DROC
1/25/10 3:31 AM
BIGWHITESEXY
1100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

THE SHOOTY END POINTS AWAY FROM YOU. 
1/25/10 3:45 AM
droc

Thank God you're here!!! That could really have been messy.

*turns gun around*

DROC
1/25/10 12:10 PM
Muppetmower88

well outdoor channels can really help with handeling firearms. they teach you correct positions, tactics, tips. or you could always go online and order videos. try looking up the "Best Defense" or try shootingusa.com too. should have helpful links for better information.
1/26/10 6:10 AM
droc

Outdoor Channels?

Looking up shootingusa.com now

Thanks

DROC

1/26/10 11:24 AM
Muppetmower88

yeah they show shooting and hunting shows. you get good links off the shows and great information.
1/26/10 8:34 PM
EasyTapper
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Always treat every gun as though it were loaded.

NEVER point at someone unless you intend to shoot them.

Don't rest your finger on the trigger. Rest it on the guard. (rest is a loose term).

Ideally, never hand someone a loaded gun.

Always have positive identification of a target before you shoot (whether it be man or animal)

NEVER look down the barrel, especially in the case of a jam or misfire.

I know some of these seem like common sense, but you never know. In addition, I think if you google "Gun Safety", "Firearm Safety", and "Hunter Safety" you'll probably get alot of info. also, check out the NRA (I beleive its NRA.org) and they may have some resources for you.
2/3/10 5:07 PM
droc

Thanks guys, I'll keep all of this in mind. This, and all of my other projects, have had to be pushed back a little but I'll get it done.

Muppermower, is that in the USA? I'm in France.

DROC
2/3/10 8:54 PM
PeterIrl
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Droc,

I took up hunting/shooting recently as well. It is addictive, so watch out. I was lucky in that a mate of mine took me out and showed me the basics. Ask around your mates, you never know.

Apart from that, dunno what the licensing laws are for France, but read up on gun safety(it's common sense stuff really) never trust a safety and never shoot at a target if you cannot identify it and what's behind it.. Here's a wiki to get you started: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_safety

To start with, buy yourself a 22lr rimfire rifle, a brick of ammo(probably cost you less than 20yoyo's for 500rds) and get stuck in. Go to a range and just shoot, learn what your gun can do, its characteristics. 22lr is about the cheapest way possible of learning how to shoot, and one of the most fun.

My first gun was a Norinco JW-15, they're a cracking little gun and are stupidly accurate for the price. You should be able to pick one up pretty cheap in Garlicland.

I've since added a 303 Lee Enfield and am looking for a 223.
(See what I mean about the addictiveness?)
2/3/10 11:03 PM
Muppetmower88

yeah droc it is US. not sure what kind of channels france gets. probably best info would be to get some reading material or mag subscriptions. there is so much information out there, but becareful to who you listen to lot of guys out there think they are gun savey and have no idea what the hell they are talking about.

are you looking for rifle/hunting or more pistol/defense.
2/4/10 1:13 AM
droc

Peter,

Thanks, I'll take a look. A neighbor was supposed to bring me out last time I was home he's president of the local gun club (my folks live in the bog). But he forgot and was double booked. The only people I know here who shoot are the Schiavo brothers in Avignon and that's pretty far away, so I'll go to the local range and get some lessons there.

Muppetpower, I'm looking to shoot stuff... I'll probably learn both, which I learn first will come down to easier and cheaper access.

Thanks again everybody, I'm gonna have to put this off for a few weeks to have my gall bladder removed. But after that it's on.

DROC
2/4/10 1:56 AM
PeterIrl
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd make a cheesy "gaul" bladder joke but I'll restrain myself this once.

Good luck with the op, hope all goes well.
2/4/10 5:51 AM
droc

LOL it's there, just waiting on someone to jump at the opportunity.

Thanks

DROC
7/26/10 1:49 AM
PeterIrl

TTT, so Droc, did you ever get a chance to go shooting?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.