UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> STHF Scenarios??

1/26/10 7:44 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
EasyTapper
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Generally speaking what are the general scenarios that you all prepare for?? I would think there would be 1-3 common themes and what you think will happen? I'm just curious.

(I would like to prepare, but I don't have the money, and I'm not sure what I would be preparing for)
1/27/10 1:19 PM
romadant
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Trying to prepare can seem daunting - from a financial and time standpoint. The big websites, like survivalblog.com make it seem as if you need to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to be prepared.

Try reading around on thesurvivalistblog.net

The author writes about trying to prepare slowly over a period of time, and economically. I think you'll find it interesting and full of good info.

He also wrote an ebook that he gives away for free. You can read a review of it here and there's a link to download it - http://www.eluctor.com/ebook-review-end-of-the-world/

Just start slow. For food stockpiling, just buy a little extra of the things you already by that have a long shelf life. Buying canned beans, toss a few extra cans in the cart. Etc...
1/27/10 2:12 PM
Robert Wynne
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For me it's natural disasters....alot of easy simple things can be done...such as saving dryer lint for fire starter..or saving water in 2 liter soda bottles....the importance is being able to be self sufficent for an extended period of time....and i don't think you need lots of money for that.
1/27/10 2:32 PM
EasyTapper
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Valid point Robert.

I just wonder, because there are so many different possible scenarios.

ie Lets say you were a New Orleans resident back in 2005 and were preparing for a Bird Flu pandemic, you might have been screwed when Katrina blew in.

I just wonder how many people are truly ready for when SHTF or if it's kind of like a hobby and they have a false sense of security.
1/28/10 3:46 PM
SirPrize
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am preparing to be self-sustained for varying lengths of time, regardless of the disaster.

2 weeks - completely self-sustained, with food, water, and cooking fuel. (Water is the tricky part)

I have enough food for 6 months. I will need water and cooking fuel / electricity, though. A solar oven will help with the cooking. I need to buy or make one.

I think the initial period is the most critical, because there's a good chance I would be shut in for 2 weeks if something really bad happens. After that, there should be more order restored. Then, if food is scarece after 6 months, it's way past time to GTF out of town.

PS - Don't forget about having some cash on hand. Look at Haiti. I saw on the news that relatives are wiring money to Haiti, but the Haitians can't get to it, because most of the transfer places and banks are closed.
2/7/10 9:19 PM
HardyJenns

I am no expert but I kind of think of 3 scenarios

1. Natural disasters. Depending where you live, these are pretty obvious (floods, earthquakes, hurricanes, forest fires, etc)

2. Biological. Either bioterror outbreak or pandemic.

3. Technological. I think of the massive power grid failures a few years ago, especially if a terrorist disabled the grid. The other scenario is an EMP or nuclear type attack that doesn't cause fallout but causes massive failure of electronic devices

I'm a relative novice to all this, but those are kind of the 3 general scenarios I try to anticipate, and the subsequent unrest, needs for supplies, etc
2/20/10 9:33 PM
ClayK

EasyTapper - Valid point Robert.

I just wonder, because there are so many different possible scenarios.

ie Lets say you were a New Orleans resident back in 2005 and were preparing for a Bird Flu pandemic, you might have been screwed when Katrina blew in.

I just wonder how many people are truly ready for when SHTF or if it's kind of like a hobby and they have a false sense of security.

New Orleans resident here. Hurricanes are not something that you need to prep for unless you are foolish enough to stick around. You have days notice before any real weather hits. You see it coming, you pack up what you need and head inland. No smart person sticks around.

My supplies are set for about a month, easily. If given the chance to ride it out at my place. The basis for me is utilizing foods that do not require heating/water. Since I'm not worried about mobility, I have oodles of canned beans, beef stew, and chef boy r dee. I used to work on a small boat in the Gulf for 14 hours a day. We didn't have a galley, so you learn to eat without cooking. I've got plenty of freeze dried foods and soft packet foods for mobility in my BOB and smaller packs.

It's easy to start. Even just a 72 hour kit. Buy a large tupperware style tub from Walmart/target and fill with essential food/supplies to last you 3 days. Once thats done, just expand it as your budget allows.
2/21/10 1:27 AM
SirPrize
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Consider one of these:

Berkey water filter

They will filter out just about everything. Plus, they are gravity-fed, so you don't have to worry about water pressure like with reverse-osmosis filters.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.