UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Been given a full lamb - ideas?

1/28/10 8:41 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
LoiseauElbow
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My dad has some land and lets a local farmer keep his lambs on it. In payment, the farmer gives him a couple of full lambs a season.

Got the latest one yesterday. I'll be able to take my pick from;

Endless chops
Lamb steaks
Shoulder joints
Leg joints
Lamb ribs (Weird and fatty but good!)

Any ideas outside the ordinary?
1/28/10 2:14 PM
Pito Chueco
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I did a lamb shoulder roast in the croc pot last weekend, and cooked as barbacoa (mexican flavored pulled meat).

Turned out great, moist and tasty. Basically just blended up a couple of onions, garlic, cumin and chipote peppers. Poured that over the roast, and put in croc for 8 hours. Served on tortillas, very tasty.
1/28/10 2:55 PM
drunkenfighter

Donair, anyone?

Serious question - how do you cook the lambs steaks/roast? Similar to beef? Med, med-rare?
1/28/10 8:18 PM
screwtop wine
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My favorite way to prep lamb ribs is in cousa, a stuffed squash. Something along the lines of this recipe http://cucinapanzano.blogspot.com/2009/07/summer-squashcousa.html Before putting the stuufed squash in a pot to simmer, lay the lamb ribs on the bottom with some garlic and crushed tomatoes to thicken and add extra flavour to the stock. Serve the cousa, along with a section of lamb rib and enjoy!

Look at anything Mediterranian for lamb, Greek, Lebanese, Turkish, maybe Indian. MMM, lamb curry!
1/29/10 4:04 AM
LoiseauElbow

Thanks people.

I'm a big lamb fan and I'm a traditionalist, I like it roast. I have move than enough to experiment here.

I'm thinking of deboning, opening out and going the Morrocan route with the shoulder.

I think I'm gonna try the barbacoa idea with the other shoulder. Pulled pork is my favourite so why not.

screwtop wine......thanks a lot for that but I cant stand squash/pumpkin etc. Do you have any other ideas?
2/1/10 12:32 AM
Breezah
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lamb chops with honey and thyme glaze
2/3/10 5:04 PM
droc

http://darragh.creamer.free.fr/La%20cuisine%20de%20r%E9f%E9rence%20.pdf

Page 208 onwards 
2/9/10 7:34 PM
alxholic
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what's wierd about lamb ribs?  the rack is probably the best part of the lamb.
2/13/10 11:56 AM
WaltJ
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pito Chueco - I did a lamb shoulder roast in the croc pot last weekend, and cooked as barbacoa (mexican flavored pulled meat).

Turned out great, moist and tasty. Basically just blended up a couple of onions, garlic, cumin and chipote peppers. Poured that over the roast, and put in croc for 8 hours. Served on tortillas, very tasty.

This sounds excellent.

Are they any other (cheaper) cuts you've tried with this?
2/15/10 7:24 AM
Pito Chueco
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yeah, traditionally it is a beef roast, i subbed the lamb.
2/15/10 3:40 PM
shootfightermike
699 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sex w/it?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.