UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Alternative ways to get your music out?

1/28/10 12:38 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
banjo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you record some music on your own, IE - home recording or hire a studio to do it, what are some of the best alternative ways (beside record labels) to get your music out and potentially heard?
1/28/10 10:52 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/09/10 8:37 AM
CB Baby... Myspace... Youtube... Harmonycentral... Editorial depts of music magazines... Be relentless..
1/29/10 12:18 AM
banjo

Thans, Demi.

What is CB Baby? And Editorial Depts of music magazines? Can you expand on that a little?
1/30/10 10:47 AM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is CD Baby:

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/DemiShow

CD Baby also gets your stuff on iTunes.

Any music magazine is going to list it's editorial address in the front pages somewhere. They are always accepting stuff. Just put a CD and a letter about your project in an envelope and send it to them to review. Most of the time nothing happens unless someone likes what they hear. Remember, they hear a lot of junk. But it's what you made those 1000 Cds to do. Sell at shows, give away, use for promotion etc.
2/1/10 6:12 PM
banjo

Thanks for the info!

Have you guys sold much on CDBaby or iTunes?
2/1/10 6:15 PM
banjo

PS - that's a good idea about the music magazines. That good definitely get some publicity if your stuff is decent.
2/4/10 10:12 PM
Georbraham Linkington

Is Cd baby anything like Tunecore?
2/4/10 10:35 PM
Demitrius Barbito

Edited: 02/09/10 8:38 AM
I just got the CD baby thing going and all my discs have been sold except one. I need to send them more. The iTunes thing hasn't gone through yet. I will have several sources to sell digital downloads. iTunes, CD Baby, Napster and more.

It looks like CD Baby is just like Tunccore. It's very reasonable for the money.

My instructional DVDs have sold very well over the years and now I'm looking into other ways of distribution. FilmBaby seems great because you can do DVD sales AND digital downloads of DVDs.
2/6/10 9:50 AM
BarkLikeADog

Banjo, how old are you, what's your style, & what specifically is your goal?
3/1/10 6:15 PM
banjo

BLAD - I'm 43, my style is rock/pop. My goal is to get something published and hopefully make some money. I know at my age, many things are out the window, but I still think I've written some decent songs and I'd like to do something with them.
3/16/10 12:59 AM
Thelonious

^^

You could try and license your music for film/tv but the market has saturated like crazy once everyone could record at home and market online.
3/16/10 2:17 AM
BarkLikeADog

If you're looking for mainstream success, consider grooming & producing someone who is young & attractive to the pop audience.
3/16/10 8:35 AM
Hillbilly
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don`t think there is a set formula in my opinion. You just have to keep pushing to get your stuff into the right hands.
3/17/10 12:25 AM
jman
537 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CD Baby is the best IMO.

It gets your stuff on iTunes and anyone around the world can order your music (I've had people from Japan, Russia, Thailand, Germany, UK, etc buy stuff...fucking crazy).

I'm selling more through iTunes and online stuff now than the actual cd's.

Not like a sell a lot, maybe 1-2 a month...but it's my online "fun money" so I can buy shit with it using PayPal guilt free.

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/williamsjimmy

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/williamsjimmy2
3/22/10 5:57 AM
Thelonious

Hillbilly - I don`t think there is a set formula in my opinion. You just have to keep pushing to get your stuff into the right hands.

While I could agree there is some variation between genres, the 'right hands' always have a very specific formula they are looking for. The formula is dynamic and changes with culture, but every major in North America is always looking for the same things at the same time imo.

Right now it's edgy, high energy and electronicish music that can be attached to media in sound bytes. That said, things are changing and it's the first time in my life that age wasn't the most important issue for A/R.

The majors are hurting and it's opened up the playing field. I played a one shot last week at CMW with a 34 yr old who was just signed to his first record contract. The guy who won the astral grand prize at CMW was a balding cop.

It was like bizarro world in Toronto this year. Noticeably different, last year the suits were in full Beiber-mania, and while it's come true for him, the tone this year was unlike anything I've seen. Open minded.

Piracy might end up being a blessing to musicians.
8/19/10 2:11 AM
Rawbass

ttt
6/14/12 9:00 AM
egundy

I just started doing this. I released my first record and nobody knows who I am besides the people in my little town so here are some things that seem to be working.

1) I offer all my music for free downloads at my website.

2) Put ads on craigslist offering free downloads. I put these ads in every major city in the US. I put ads all over the world. Some get flagged but most don't. By doing this in one month I now have listeners in 35 states and 4 countries.

3) I have my CD with me at all times. Wherever I go I try to show them to someone I don't know. I let the person pay what they want. Sometimes I get 3 bucks sometimes 10.

4) Put my Cd at the local animal shelter. Make a donation and get a cd. Shelter keeps the money.

5) If I see a cute girl, she gets a cd. This is a fun one!
Don't forget to ask her to share with all her friends.

Next thing I will do is the CD baby service that gets the music on itunes and other places. For $50 it seems worth it.

6/17/12 11:33 PM
nostripewhite

Demi's stuff sells because he's a fucking fretboard monster though.
6/25/12 10:39 PM
johnnypayne
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Have you considered Bandcamp?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.