UnderGround Forums

Kickboxing UnderGround >> Lead Leg Superman Kick

1/29/10 1:11 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Athletic
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BJMUTA Fight Team member, German Baltazar, shows us how to execute a lead leg superman kick. This technique has been used several times by Georges St.Pierre with great success. www.AthleticBodyCare.com
1/29/10 8:12 AM
Khun Kao
1010 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yay! Another "gadget"!
1/29/10 3:03 PM
Ryukyu Damashi
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What's the other name for the inside leg kick? :)
1/29/10 3:32 PM
Khun Kao
1010 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Bitch Kick"
1/29/10 8:37 PM
bluenoser

LOl at Bitch kick. Nothing wrong with the inside leg kick especially against southpaws.
1/31/10 4:33 PM
Khun Kao

bluenoser: the "Bitch Kick" refers specifically to a lead-legged roundhouse to the inside of your training partners calf/knee/thigh when you are both standing in the same stance. (i.e. - both standing orthodox or both standing southpaw)

We call it the "Bitch Kick" because of people we have trained with who use this technique as a kind of "crutch". More specifically, its when more experienced students (and fighters) use this kick to take advantage of less experienced trainees who haven't developed the "eye" to spot the technique or the timing to defend it.

It's one thing to work a technique over and over in a manner in which to help your training partner learn how to deal with it appropriately. It's another thing altogether when you are using it to take advantage of a less experienced training partner.
1/31/10 4:41 PM
Khun Kao

For the Record.....

The posted video isn't what we refer to as the "Bitch Kick". That is just Ryukyu;s and my not-so-private joke. The reason we're making the joke in the 1st place is because he and I are both in the same boat in regards to "gimmicks".... He and I have both invested a lot of time to learn solid, fundamental Muay Thai, and it's frustrating to see people skip their basics to learn 'tricks'...

Also, I actually like the technique that's being shown. I think it's a good technique that's not too flashy/showy. Unfortunately, I know that there are people who will see this video and start training to perform this "trick" rather than focus on their fundamentals.

/soapbox
2/2/10 5:49 AM
IronMonkey
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't use the lead inside kick much as I find I tend to hit my opponent's knee sooner or later. When I do use it I like to circle to my left or throw a right when I'm going to throw one to make sure I actually hit his inside thigh instead of the knee.

Khun khao and anyone else, any advice on this? Or any set ups that you think is good?
2/2/10 7:58 AM
Khun Kao

Well, the inside leg kick is designed to be the setup, so setting it up is kinda redundant. I have 2 options for you...

1. Use it to counterfight a boxer. When your opponent attempts to punch you, kick the inside of his leg to destroy his base.

2. Feint a jab first. I picked up this little tidbit watching Buakaw fight last year, accept he used the jab to setup his lead Push Kick. Same principle applies, though. Stick the jab and fire the kick a moment afterwards.

Another thing you might want to consider is that you may be trying to overly commit to this technique. The inside leg kick is simply designed to be a lightning-fast disruption. You're not trying to sweep the leg or cause real damage. You're merely trying to break his stance. You don't even roll the hip over into the kick, you just kick at an upwards angle, almost like you're punting a football.
2/8/10 2:31 AM
IronMonkey
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks Khun Khao for the tips.
2/9/10 6:34 PM
Posty Magee

ttt
3/7/10 12:02 PM
Athletic

You guys catch Cruz using this technique against Bowles last night??
3/30/10 7:03 PM
scrappydoo
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

saved
5/3/10 12:36 PM
The Sultan
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

weird that they call it a superman kick.  It's not actually a kick.

It's an inside leg kick fake to a superman punch, then an outside leg kick.
5/24/10 11:02 PM
dc1000
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i use the kick described by KK all the time in sparring.  its 'bitchy' to do so?

jab jab then lead leg kick to the inside upper thigh of the opponents lead leg.

why is this a bitch kick?

wrt to the technique shown in the video, i like this a lot too, why is that a gimmick?  you set it up set it up set it up then have a nice finish.  i find it to be very natural and fluid.
5/25/10 10:28 AM
Khun Kao

Edited: 05/25/10 11:32 AM
dc1000 -  i use the kick described by KK all the time in sparring.  its 'bitchy' to do so?

jab jab then lead leg kick to the inside upper thigh of the opponents lead leg.

why is this a bitch kick?

I posted the exact reason in this thread:

We call it the "Bitch Kick" because of people we have trained with who use this technique as a kind of "crutch". More specifically, its when more experienced students (and fighters) use this kick to take advantage of less experienced trainees who haven't developed the "eye" to spot the technique or the timing to defend it.

It's one thing to work a technique over and over in a manner in which to help your training partner learn how to deal with it appropriately. It's another thing altogether when you are using it to take advantage of a less experienced training partner.

I also stated that it's sort of an inside joke between me, Ryukyu, and a couple of old friends/training partners. From what you've described, you're not using the technique in quite the fashion which prompted us to start calling it the "bitch kick". It's not so much the technique itself but HOW it was being used...

wrt to the technique shown in the video, i like this a lot too, why is that a gimmick?  you set it up set it up set it up then have a nice finish.  i find it to be very natural and fluid.

It's a gimmick, regardless of how well it works (or doesn't work). Basically, it's just a "Superman Punch" that finishes with a kick.

The "Superman Punch" whether you do it with the lead or rear side, is a "gimmick". It's a specicalized technique from Muay Thai that is considered to be a "Masters Trick". Masters Tricks were techniques that were created by guys who had already mastered Muay Thai. That means they were already successful/established fighters.

The problem, as I see it, is that we're seeing "Masters Tricks" now being taught, practiced, and used as "staple" techniques in everyones arsenal, and these "Masters Tricks" were never meant to be that.

So, what we see is a specialized fighting trick that a very experienced fighter may use occasionally throughout the course of his fight career that is now being used by inexperienced fighters multiple times throughout the course of a single fight, even a single round!

To top all of it off, how often do you REALLY see it work? Of course, with the amount of times we see this used nowadays, we've all seen it work occasionally, but most of the time it doesn't. I've lost track of how many times I've actually seen it, but I can count on 1 hand the number of times its actually WORKED and still have fingers left over. The fact is that it's a low percentage technique that many fighters waste a lot of time practicing when they should be focusing on their fundamentals.

Let me use this to illustrate my point. Saenchai Sor Kingstar is this generations absolute BEST Muay Thai fighter. No one could argue that he's a Muay Thai master. He is known for the use of his own Master's Trick in the ring. Not sure what its called, but its a kind of handstand/cartwheel kick.

I heard an interview with Saenchai once, and he discussed how AFTER he had mastered Muay Thai and was a success in the ring, he began practicing with that kick. He practiced that kick for 2 or 3 years before he started trying to fight with it!

Here is one of his last fights. He is fighting against top competition (Nong-O). Notice that he does nothing "fancy" or tricky in the ring against this guy. It's just straight-up, basic Muay Thai.

By contrast, if we were watching an MMA match, its likely we would have seen 3 or 4 Superman punches. LOL...

As a final note, the one thing I *will* say is that I actually like the technique demonstrated above MUCH better than the straight-up Superman Punch. What I have found is that too many fighters opt to use the Superman Punch as a "stand-alone" tactic. They throw the Superman Punch, and when it fails, well.... they move on to something else (or throw ANOTHER Superman Punch).

What I have found is that the Superman Punch often works as a distraction against less-experienced strikers. It typically causes them to "freeze" momentarily as they brace for the impact. To me, the Superman Punch can therefore be used as a substitute to a Lead Push Kick when starting a combination. Use the Superman Punch to make them "freeze", but immediately flow into a combination.

However, lets think about that a moment.... Between a Superman Punch and Push Kick, which of the two is easier to perform, defensively more sound, and has a much higher liklihood of succeeding?

So yeah, I'll continue practicing my fundamentals while mocking the Superman Punch.

/rant
5/25/10 11:40 AM
dc1000
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kk,

gotchya

however, sometimes i like the super man punch as a way to close the distance nothing more.  you're right, it tends to freeze some people up and you can flow into another combo.  

i'm still going to use that lead leg kick to the inside lead leg of my opponent and laugh to myself bitch kick however

PS: kk i took a class of yours several years ago and appreciated the technical nature of it.

PPS:  WTF is going on at novamma??

5/25/10 12:57 PM
Khun Kao

dc1000 -  kk,

gotchya

however, sometimes i like the super man punch as a way to close the distance nothing more.  you're right, it tends to freeze some people up and you can flow into another combo.

as long as you can make it work, go for it. But one of the big problems I see is when people overuse it despite the fact that its not working. If it works, great, use it until your opponent figures out how to respond. But if its not working, don't keep trying to fit the square peg in the round hole.

i'm still going to use that lead leg kick to the inside lead leg of my opponent and laugh to myself bitch kick however

As much as Ryukyu, myself, and a few others make fun of this kick, its actually a good technique and I'm happy that you'll now think of us whenever you use it!

PS: kk i took a class of yours several years ago and appreciated the technical nature of it.

::BLUSH:: I sincerely appreciate the compliment!!!

PPS:  WTF is going on at novamma??

We're in the process of revamping/reorganizing the Muay Thai program. khunkaogym at gmail dot com for highlights

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.