UnderGround Forums

LegalGround >> The Best Cross-examination ever

1/29/10 8:28 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
HaMMerHouseFAN
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am interning at the prosecutors office and there was a pretty high profile case charging 8 counts of rape, kidnapping, assualt, etc. for someone who took his wife hostage at a nursing home from back in April. The defendant decided to take the stand and the prosecutor had an absolute field day on him. I can't explain how good the cross-exam was on him. I could tell and after speaking with other attorneys and detectives who were there said you will never see another cross-exam like it. I am trying to get a copy of the full direct and cross-examination. It was almost like it was straight out of a movie or tv, which was how good it was. I was told that it was put online so if someone was intereseted in looking it up the case was Michael Swiergosz in Toledo, OH.
1/29/10 8:31 AM
HaMMerHouseFAN
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Look around the 1:20 mark where the prosecutor is pulling things the guy had in his bag out like a magician does with a hat and when he gets to the revolver the cylinder goes flying.
2/5/10 3:04 PM
Cookie Monster
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Im not seeing anything here
2/5/10 3:37 PM
Cookie Monster
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

was there a video or something?
2/9/10 4:02 PM
Cookie Monster

lol at the cylinder flying
2/9/10 5:00 PM
HaMMerHouseFAN

He was pretty surprised to say the least when it went flying and everyone let out a little chuckle for that.
2/11/10 7:54 PM
pm1964
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My best cross-examination was getting the plaintiff in a discrimination case I was defending to admit, during trial testimony, that he would lie under oath to help his case. His attorney about had a stroke, and the judge just sat there shaking his head.
2/12/10 1:35 AM
Shaz
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My best cross (really a DREAM cross) was a guy who had broken into his neighbor's house.  He was SO awful on the stand, constantly changing his story, and he was on Xanax or something and he actually feel asleep on the stand.

Guilty verdict in less than 30 minutes.

-Shaz!
2/16/10 11:12 AM
Trust
717 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds like fun times.  I don't get to cross examine people.

In law school I heard a story of an old trial by some famous attorney, can't remember who now, but the story goes the attorney was crossing a witness that had just given an incredibly damning, near perfect direct.  The crossing attorney then asked the witness to repeat the story, in completion.  When she did, he asked her to repeat it again, and she did, verbatim.   It then became apparent that she had memorized the story word for word, like it had been written down for her, and that gave rise to a question as to how genuine it was. 

Does that sound familiar to anyone? 

2/16/10 8:30 PM
HaMMerHouseFAN

Yes, that was the attorney for a guy who owned a sweatshop in NY that burned down and the guy had nailed the windows shut and locked the doors so a lot of the women died. There is a book about it but I forgot what's it's called
2/17/10 12:32 AM
Shaz

That was the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire, the lawyer you're referring to was Max Steuer.

-Shaz!
2/17/10 8:43 AM
Trust
717 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HaMMerHouseFAN - Yes, that was the attorney for a guy who owned a sweatshop in NY that burned down and the guy had nailed the windows shut and locked the doors so a lot of the women died. There is a book about it but I forgot what's it's called

Yeah, that's it!
2/28/10 11:07 PM
J Flip

pm1964 - My best cross-examination was getting the plaintiff in a discrimination case I was defending to admit, during trial testimony, that he would lie under oath to help his case. His attorney about had a stroke, and the judge just sat there shaking his head.

details?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.