UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> 1/29/09 Rickson: Remember Helio with a celebration

1/29/10 9:57 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1154 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

Helio Gracie: One Year Since His Passing

It was one year ago today that Helio Gracie passed away. Helio was 95 years old and remains in many eyes the person most responsible for what we today call Brazilian jiu-jitsu. In addition to two daughters, Helio Gracie fathered seven sons who made their father’s jiu-jitsu their own careers. Rorion, Relson, Rickson, Rolker, Royler, Royce, and Robin, were among the first to export what would become known as Brazilian jiu-jitsu to the world.

Helio Gracie participated in well over a dozen no holds barred or vale tudo fights in his life. Confident in his father’s form of ground fighting, Rorion Gracie formed the UFC in 1993 as a platform to showcase jiu-jitsu in North America. The victories of a skinny Royce Gracie in the early UFCs remain the reason most BJJ practitioners participate in jiu-jitsu. Even modern day Brazilian jiu-jitsu dynamos like Gracie Barra’s Otavio Souza claim that they became interested in jiu-jitsu because of seeing what Royce did in the UFC.

At all the major BJJ competitions in the months following Helio Gracie’s death, it was customary for there to be moment of silence in his memory. At the 2009 BJJ Pan-Ams, the competition action on all eight mats was paused for a moment and Helio Gracie’s son Rickson spoke these words in front of normally rambunctious crowd that became silent as he spoke:

I’d like to welcome you all, and respect our great, great Master. There is nothing to be sorry about. The way he wants to be remembered, he always said to us, was a party and a celebration. I think this is a moment, with all of us here, to celebrate his legacy, to spread the seeds of the jiu-jitsu he created and brought. And I think, what more can we expect from life than to live to be 95 years old and pretty healthy and his sons doing what he loved to do? So thankfully, there is nothing to be sorry about. My dad now is eternal. Let’s live on his legacy and the passion for jiu-jitsu for all of us and for the future generations. Thank you very much.

read entire article...

1/29/10 9:59 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JujitsWho
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RIP Helio.

You're one of my lifelong Heros and one of the main reasons I got into BJJ.
1/29/10 10:00 AM
MrSmiff
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RIP to the man
1/29/10 10:40 AM
MichaelAndrews

ttt
1/29/10 10:42 AM
BigEyedFish

RIP for a man who changed my life immeasurably.
1/29/10 10:49 AM
Zedlepln
226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1/29/10 10:57 AM
Jody

RIP...
1/29/10 11:23 AM
RobbieH

RIP to a Warrior and Grandmaster, Helio Gracie
1/29/10 6:51 PM
RickStorm
1734 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RIP

1/29/10 6:56 PM
SpiderRicco

RIP Master Helio.
1/29/10 7:21 PM
RJJH
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zedlepln -  

makes me really sad
1/29/10 7:32 PM
glassjaw

Amazing individual and a great life.
1/29/10 8:03 PM
crunk404
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RIP

the gracie name will always be synonymous with bjj
1/29/10 8:11 PM
G-Hands
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thank you Master Helio Gracie!
1/29/10 8:39 PM
BurnBabyBurn

Without him none of us would be doing what we do.

Respect. RIP
1/29/10 8:41 PM
tmr
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RIP
1/29/10 8:43 PM
Zonion
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RIP
1/29/10 8:50 PM
Rocky Dennis

One of the main reasons this forum and sport we love even exist.  RIP Master Helio
1/29/10 9:05 PM
WaltJ
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The best of the best.

Helio is martial arts royalty, both as an artist but as a person, as well.
1/29/10 9:37 PM
WEB
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

awesome pic
1/29/10 9:51 PM
ACalandrelli
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RIP to a true Master
1/29/10 10:10 PM
McLeod
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RIP to a man who actually left his mark on this world in a major way. Bruce Lee did the same, and Helio will be remembered as true pioneer. I hope I could leave an a small amount of the impression he has on this world.
1/29/10 10:10 PM
jjmtg
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/29/10 10:19 PM
Relson had the same type of words.

When I heard that Grandmaster Helio died, I called Relson immediately. He said his brothers had buried his father but to come to his house for a memorial.

Our academy gathered at the school and made plans for as many of us to go to Relson's house as possible and to make it a fun memorial not a sad thing.

Black Belt Instructor Andre Derizan created a poem in english and portugeese that was posted in Gracie Magazine memorial edition.

Our in house graphic artist Kayle, made this beautiful card of Helio and Carlos on the front and Helio on the back cover in color that we all signed condolences and thoughts on.

Everyone met at Relson's house and brought so much food and drinks. Relson was not somber and said for us not to be sad but be happy and keep training. He said to honor Grandmaster Helio we have to keep training. No matter what try to train as much as you can.

I stayed at Relson's house listening to stories about his dad and growing up with Rolls, Rorion and Rickson. The fights they had in the streets, etc. I stayed as long as I could and got a private moment with Relson and fought back tears to put up a good face in front of my master. I can't say I stayed that way after I left. One year later it still hurts me somehow but happy that I was with Relson with my classmates.

Peace Grandmaster Helio Gracie. I hope to keep training in your honor as your son Relson and Rickson says for all of us to do.
1/29/10 11:07 PM
erock_bjj

RIP
1/29/10 11:22 PM
FERA BRABA
239 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can hardly believe it's been a year already.  

Thank you Helio, for the gift you gave to all of us. 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.