UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Let's hear it for K-1 level striking!

1/30/10 10:53 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Guns`A`Blazin
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Glass jaw? Are you kidding? That shot would have put ANYBODY to sleep. FACT!
1/30/10 10:58 PM
MakeMeBleed
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what about the k-1 level chins
1/30/10 11:05 PM
orcus

Remember when everyone said Anderson and Chuck would get killed if they tried to stand with Manhoef? And those guys actually know how to defend leg kicks, unlike Lawler who was stopped by them the one time he fought a kickboxer.

" what about the k-1 level chins"

I don't know if you watched the last K-1 GP but with the exception of Kharitonov, every time anyone on the card got touched they went down. Almost all of Robbie's opponents have gone toe to toe with him and traded for awhile with varying degrees of success; literally the first time he touches Manhoef, Melvin is nearly killed.
1/30/10 11:10 PM
lockon
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus -  Remember when everyone said Anderson and Chuck would get killed if they tried to stand with Manhoef? And those guys actually know how to defend leg kicks, unlike Lawler who was stopped by them the one time he fought a kickboxer.

Do the Pro-Manhoef and K-1 Striker guys get under your skin that much?

Get over it.
1/30/10 11:11 PM
orcus

No, I just always hope people will stop saying fighter X would ruin anyone in MMA standing because their K-1 careers show they're on an entirely different level of skill and power. But for some reason no matter how many times we see otherwise, they keep doing it.
1/30/10 11:15 PM
orcus

"K1 fighters just take turns knocking eachother out so they all have shot chins"

True as well.
1/31/10 12:19 AM
LEET060

Melvin Manhoef got KO'ed by an below average k-1 fighter Keijiro Maeda in K-1
1/31/10 1:27 AM
Frantic

This is why Melvin has a glass chin

And they are wearing boxing gloves.
1/31/10 1:29 AM
Frantic

at the 8min mark Maeda throws a short right that looks so weak yet it completely wobbles Melvin and sends him to the canvas.
1/31/10 1:44 AM
Herring In A Fur Coat

FightMatrix.com, MMA Rankings
awesome fight, awesome knockout.  I was literally LOL when it happened. 

BUT MYTH OF K-1 LEVEL STRIKING NEVER DIE~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111
1/31/10 1:44 AM
FullContactHigh
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"orcus

^^Get a life.

K-1 fights and MMA fights are not the same thing if you haven't noticed d-bag!
1/31/10 1:48 AM
Magic8

orcus -  Remember when everyone said Anderson and Chuck would get killed if they tried to stand with Manhoef? And those guys actually know how to defend leg kicks, unlike Lawler who was stopped by them the one time he fought a kickboxer.

Since when?
1/31/10 2:10 AM
hebaj
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Since when has Melvin been a great technical "K1 Level" striker??

The man is nothing but an exciting brawler.
1/31/10 6:23 AM
WrestlingSucks
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Melvin is known for his power and his brawling style. Not known for his chin, defense, or his overall technical prowess.

What is so hard to understand about what happened anyhow? Lawler landed his shot and won but was being decimated before that. Melvin delivers exciting fights. Why shit on the guy?

Also, k1 level strikers do own mma strikers. Please watch Kid Yamamoto vs Zambidis, or Igor Vov's k1 fight for an example of this.

I'll make you a deal. If you pick an mma guy who will stand with Buakaw or Masato wearing 4 oz gloves at 145-155 lbs, I'll bet you any amount of money you wish on the outcome. What say you?

The closest thing to a k1 fighter in american mma is Anthony Njokuani. How many mma guys are having success standing with him?

kthxbye
1/31/10 6:30 AM
Poopyface TomatoNose

orcus -  Or to be fair, maybe I should say K-1 level chins.

So, Robbie Lawler has pillow fists, right? You do realize that K-1 = kickboxing right? Are you suggesting that Robbie Lawler doesn't have extremely heavy hands for a middleweight? Being susceptible to a Robbie Lawler KO = questionable chin?
1/31/10 6:32 AM
smoogy
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/31/10 6:32 AM
Poopyface TomatoNose - 

So, Robbie Lawler has pillow fists, right? You do realize that K-1 = kickboxing right? Are you suggesting that Robbie Lawler doesn't have extremely heavy hands for a middleweight? Being susceptible to a Robbie Lawler KO = questionable chin?

orcus doesn't know anything about K-1, he is just a bitch desperate for attention who cries about everything other than Zuffa-produced American MMA

1/31/10 6:37 AM
Poopyface TomatoNose

Herring In A Fur Coat - awesome fight, awesome knockout.  I was literally LOL when it happened. 

BUT MYTH OF K-1 LEVEL STRIKING NEVER DIE~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111

All that could've been deduced from that fight is that Robbie Lawler has heavy hands or that Melvin Manhoef has a questionable chin. I don't think Melvin Manhoef = all K-1 fighters. Last time I checked, he's been KO'd there too.
1/31/10 6:41 AM
Poopyface TomatoNose

smoogy - 
Poopyface TomatoNose - 

orcus doesn't know anything about K-1, he is just a bitch desperate for attention who cries about everything other than Zuffa-produced American MMA

Anybody who acts that way wouldn't have very many friends in real life and would get laughed out of most social situations. If non Zuffa MMA did not exist, there would be not place for the lesser fighters to get greater and they would all be debuting in the UFC with a 0-0 record, but there are organizations where fighters must mature and organizations outside of the UFC, since the Earth does host 6 billion people, and unfortunately, the USA does not host enough MMA for the entire world to be employed by.

I mean, why cry about which organization is weaker and hold onto year old grudges because somebody loved the UFC and some mean guy told them that the UFC sucked or Pride was superior? Anybody that holds onto that much bitterness and keeps it bottled up inside them for years and has no ability to enjoy MMA outside of the U.S.A. is so pathetic and self-loathing that they can't be helped. A forum is their only sanctuary, and even then they can't help but feeling alienated.
1/31/10 6:59 AM
Diego stole my name
104 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KO power and a decent chin is an equalizer to any skilled standup

hey orcus, you want to avenge your S/N bet?

Im willing to take Vitor against Anderson
1/31/10 1:41 PM
threestars35

Lawler just connected 2 effective strikes in the fight and now he's better than Manhoef in striking...lol
1/31/10 1:55 PM
BuddyRevell
201 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So Anderson wouldn't be able to stand with a guy with a questionable chin who leaves it wide open like that? 
1/31/10 1:56 PM
Duke Roufus
474 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Roufusport Academy, Owner
In my humble opinion MMA striking is just so different from K-1. Size of gloves & thinking about take downs change everything. When I spar MMA with my team I feel as IF I only have 25% of my arsenal. Where as in straight K-1 I can risk more with out the risk of going to the ground. In K-1 you set down on your punches & throw longer combos. Where as in MMA larger fighting area as well. Largest ring for K-1 24ft, octagon 32ft.

As well, when I have fought Muay Thai rules I have to look for different things than a K-1 match.

Kudos for the evolution of MMA fighters winning against a striker. For that matter GSP out wrestling guys who have a wrestling background & striker Marcus Davis submitting guys.

That is what makes this sport interesting to watch. the X factor.
1/31/10 1:57 PM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thats what happens when K-1 level striking meets little MMA gloves I guess, Manhoef looked good for the most part, good job by Robbie surviving and getting the finish, thats why we love this sport
1/31/10 2:14 PM
Forssberg

Robbie's plan was to let Manhoef overcommit. He's seen footage of previous fights and noticed that Manhoef lowers his hands when he flurries. THat's why Lawler looked passive. He wasn't overwhelmed, just being patient.
1/31/10 2:16 PM
Forssberg

Duke Roufus - In my humble opinion MMA striking is just so different from K-1. Size of gloves & thinking about take downs change everything. When I spar MMA with my team I feel as IF I only have 25% of my arsenal. Where as in straight K-1 I can risk more with out the risk of going to the ground. In K-1 you set down on your punches & throw longer combos. Where as in MMA larger fighting area as well. Largest ring for K-1 24ft, octagon 32ft.

As well, when I have fought Muay Thai rules I have to look for different things than a K-1 match.

Kudos for the evolution of MMA fighters winning against a striker. For that matter GSP out wrestling guys who have a wrestling background & striker Marcus Davis submitting guys.

That is what makes this sport interesting to watch. the X factor.

Well said Duke.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.