UnderGround Forums

Michigan Underground >> Oakland Press Matt Flynn article

2/2/10 9:36 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
StephenL
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This doesn't look good.

http://theoaklandpress.com/articles/2010/02/02/sports/doc4b6801440a906489691272.txt

Flynn was accused of trying to sabotage Donofrio’s show and denied paying fighters not to show up. But Muhammad Amin of Detroit, who operates the Internal-External School of Combative Arts in Hamtrmck, said that wasn’t the case.

“He (Flynn) even called me,” Amin said. “He offered my fighters pro fight deals if we didn’t show up.

I’ve been involved with Matt Flynn and Joe Donofrio. Joe did pay for three of my guys to get licensed and he did try to get three of my fighters on the card. Donofrio isn’t an angel, (but) Donofrio has never crossed me and he’s never lied.”
2/2/10 10:20 AM
Angelo Popofski
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

First, offering someone a contracted fight is not the same as "giving them money to not fight". Second, a fighter is going to go wherever there is a better deal. If fireworks are their thing, they'll stay with promoter "A". If being built up in a good organization and making decent money is their thing, they'll go with promoter "B"...it's called competition and it's what our economy is based on. Put out a better product, compensate your fighters well, and they'll go to your show. It's that simple.
2/2/10 10:38 AM
StephenL

“He (Flynn) even called me,” Amin said. “He offered my fighters pro fight deals if we didn’t show up.

Why would Amin say this?

stephen
2/2/10 10:39 AM
StephenL

And who would write this in the comments section?

Train Judo wrote on Feb 2, 2010 9:41 AM:
" Quincy once soiled his underwear and left the skid marked Jockeys in the CSF locker room. "
2/2/10 11:05 AM
BigMike77
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

StephenL - And who would write this in the comments section?

Train Judo wrote on Feb 2, 2010 9:41 AM:
" Quincy once soiled his underwear and left the skid marked Jockeys in the CSF locker room. "

Nice. Good to see you posting again. I have to admit it is more fun with you here starting shit
2/2/10 11:06 AM
Angelo Popofski
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

StephenL - 

"He (Flynn) even called me," Amin said. "He offered my fighters pro fight deals if we didn't show up.

Why would Amin say this?

stephen

I'm sure that really happened, but it's not the same as "paying someone not to fight."
2/2/10 11:26 AM
StephenL

Well. There's a lot of bad press happening right now and the crisis will only get worse unless it's handled properly.

If Matt is going to start suing people who've been accusing him of wrongdoing, then I believe he has some work to do.

I'm surprised that the Oakland Press has two stories, two days in a row.

MMA is under a microscope right now and there are forces that are looking for an excuse to disallow the Combat Commission from granting pro show licenses.

Mike. I'm not starting shit, but I can tell you that Quincy ended his in his underwear.

stephen
2/2/10 1:02 PM
BigMike77
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/02/10 1:02 PM
"Mike. I'm not starting shit, but I can tell you that Quincy ended his in his underwear." Damn that was funny. :) 
2/2/10 2:35 PM
glock4life
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^ Yeah, that was a solid one!! ...not the shit...but the joke....
2/2/10 11:43 PM
miman

Ang - Im a big fan of yours but I think what Matt is doing is really shaddy and bad for MMA.
1. Putting on shows same days as others event right across the street like he has done with TXC / Vance / Phil Davey.
2. Having shows every weekend putting guys in there that make the sport look like a joke. TOTALY UNTRAINED!!!
3. Putting presure on gyms not to have guys fight for any other shows but his.
You are one of the guys in MMA that makes our sport look great, well rounded skills and well spoken / not bad mouthing others, but letting your skills speek for them self.
I do agree that its not unlawfull to make the offer to other fighters offering them contrats, But is a real good way to make sure the show at the palace went to SHIT...
I think the more oppions fighters have the better it will be for them. Matt wants to be the only show in town and I think this is bad for fighters. He can blackball guys he has a beff with (and thats alot of guys)
2/3/10 1:21 AM
Crabnation

Matt Flynn's buddy Greg Ahrens does this sort of stuff all the time in West Michigan. Offers to pay amateurs to not show up to competitors shows, schedules his shows the same days as competitors shows, etc. Not to mention his shows are awful. He gets his fighters by putting up "fighters wanted" signs with his phone number on busy streets around town. These untrained guys come in with basketball shorts and get knocked out. Greg screams in the mic trying to pump up the crown about how awesome that was. What do you expect from a former crappy boxing guy. Fighters need to demand to be treated right. These leeches will take every advantage they can.
2/3/10 1:19 PM
Angelo Popofski

miman - Ang - Im a big fan of yours but I think what Matt is doing is really shaddy and bad for MMA.
1. Putting on shows same days as others event right across the street like he has done with TXC / Vance / Phil Davey.
2. Having shows every weekend putting guys in there that make the sport look like a joke. TOTALY UNTRAINED!!!
3. Putting presure on gyms not to have guys fight for any other shows but his.
You are one of the guys in MMA that makes our sport look great, well rounded skills and well spoken / not bad mouthing others, but letting your skills speek for them self.
I do agree that its not unlawfull to make the offer to other fighters offering them contrats, But is a real good way to make sure the show at the palace went to SHIT...
I think the more oppions fighters have the better it will be for them. Matt wants to be the only show in town and I think this is bad for fighters. He can blackball guys he has a beff with (and thats alot of guys)

Thanks for the kind words Miman, and trying to make this a civilized conversation...as much as possible. After reading your post and the good things you said about me, I decided not to list the reasons I think Donofrio is a shady promoter. I have my reasons, and I don't like him. Simple. Just the same way some people don't like the things Matt does. I will let my "actions" of never fighting for Donofrio speak for themself and let them do 'most' of my talking for me :)
2/3/10 7:29 PM
Damon Peterson

if you have fought out of state or on the bigger shows contracts rule the world. no contract no guaranteed paycheck win or lose. ufc is fight for two thousand first show, win extra two thousand, plus bonuses for fight of the night/ sub of the night/ ko of the night. after two wins or dramatic finishes you get a contract for set number of fights for set wage per fight, you pay all your medical expenses, minus pre fight licensing costs, ufc picks it up. per a famous ufc fighter from michigan who trains @ powerhouse on halsted rd. so i know it pisses people off but to get mad to offer someone a contract to fight every 60/90 days in your home state and not in bfe @ soaring eagle is shady if you were the one not offered a contract, but tell donofrio to offer contracts for a pro show every 60/90 days at the palace, would put incentiive for matt to give even better incentives next time. free market would only drive up your stock and make good fighters more valuable,  right. innovation not dissention. so saying the wise veteran old guy.
2/3/10 7:37 PM
Angelo Popofski

True...very true. Comptetion makes a better product. Make better offers and people will take it.
2/3/10 8:38 PM
BadBradBurrick

Angelo Popofski - True...very true. Comptetion makes a better product. Make better offers and people will take it.

Agreed!  People can complain as much as they want but this is a business. 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.