UnderGround Forums

NFLGround >> Dallas Cowboys

12/25/11 10:30 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
HEMAN
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The issue with the BOYs on defense comes to lack of QB pressure. Without pressure on the QB even Deion Sanders would have trouble covering WRs. That's a personnel issue that needs to be address in the draft or FA.

Offensively the issue is our OLINE. We cannot protect ROMO. Unfortunate but true. The decision next year is to either go best player available or draft for need.
12/26/11 9:50 PM
PoundforPound
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HEMAN - The decision next year is to either go best player available or draft for need.

That's the decision every year, isn't it? Since those are the only 2 choices one can make.

Right now Dallas has a lot of holes to fill. But it's sad that the needs going into last season were O-line and secondary.....and those are the exact same needs now.

We didn't address them like we should have so it's no surprise that the problems didn't go away.

I don't want us to spend one single second thinking about DeSean until the offensive line gets fixed. Romo can't throw it to him anyway if he's flat on his back.
12/27/11 10:22 AM
Caleb
236 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PoundforPound - 
HEMAN - The decision next year is to either go best player available or draft for need.

That's the decision every year, isn't it? Since those are the only 2 choices one can make.

Right now Dallas has a lot of holes to fill. But it's sad that the needs going into last season were O-line and secondary.....and those are the exact same needs now.

We didn't address them like we should have so it's no surprise that the problems didn't go away.

I don't want us to spend one single second thinking about DeSean until the offensive line gets fixed. Romo can't throw it to him anyway if he's flat on his back.

The offensive line is certainly improved over last year. Tyron Smith was a great first draft pick for us. It still needs some work though. Now, the defensive line and secondary are horrendous. Our #1 concern is finding a solid CB.. then the defensive line. We need to trade out some safeties too.

This is my cut list.

Brooking
James
Newman
Ball
Spears
Spencer
Ogletree
Bennett
Coleman
Walker
Kosier
Costa
Kitna
12/28/11 8:54 AM
HEMAN
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Caleb...

I would avoid cutting Kosier, Bradie James and Costa.

Costa issue is Strength and inexperience. Unless we find a suitable Center to replace him with I would see what next year brings in CAMP.

Kosier has always been solid...I would love to go YOUNGER but perhaps you are right with Dockery or Holland adding more beef for the run game.

James is depth. Bruce Carter??? He's such an unknown. Got to keep him if Bruce becomes a bust or Lee/Carter gets hurt.

CB = FA? Cortland Finnigan would be my target.
NT = Ratliff needs to be move to DE. We need to find a fat powerful guy to fill the hole.
The rest is BPA except WRs, RBs and TEs.
1/1/12 8:07 PM
Jambo888
593 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
1/1/12 8:32 PM
PoundforPound
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's time.....win or go home.
1/1/12 11:39 PM
PoundforPound

Blah. Go home it is.

#14 pick here we come: OL and the secondary have to be the priorities. A good pass rusher opposite of Ware wouldn't be bad either.
1/2/12 4:09 AM
SiftMyMind
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Another disappointing season
1/2/12 5:29 AM
BJJkilla
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SinCityHustler - 
BJJkilla - 
SinCityHustler - 
SiftMyMind - 
SinCityHustler - 
BJJkilla - eagles once again exposing the shitty dallas defense.

Philadelphia looks pretty good.  How far do you think they'll make it in the playoffs?  

Not very far.

The Giants win over the Jets totally eliminates the Eagles from making the playoffs.

Yeah, I kind of wanted BJgiva to acknowledge that point.  Philly's defense looks fantastic in a meaningless game.  No argument with that.

meh, they played like shit at the start of the season but the past couple of weeks they showed what there really capable of. sadly the cowboys are going the opposite way and finding ways to look bad this late in the season. idk if it's rob ryan's fault his secondary sucks or it's jerry jones fault for overpaying overrated cornerbacks in newman and scandrick. giants might blow out the cowboys even worst next week with all the injures the cowboys have now.

And that stellar play by your eagles was good enough for being eliminated from the playoffs by week 16.  So congratulations

a week later and now the cowboys can join the eagles watching the playoffs, also they once again finish behind the eagles in the division as the cowgirls take 3rd place.
1/2/12 2:41 PM
HEMAN

True...but we always can be nostaglic about our 5 NFC Superbowl titles...while the Beagles are the Shame of the NFC EAST :)
1/2/12 2:43 PM
HEMAN

Now we can look to the draft and FA. We have holes in the OLINE, DLINE and SECONDARY.
1/7/12 1:33 PM
SiftMyMind

NYG were the most deserving team in the NFC East and probably have the best chance of all the teams in the division of making a playoff run (although the Eagles did start to look good late in the season).

---------------------------------------

The Cowboys need to do something soon.
The fans (myself included) are gettin tired of all this disappointment and mediocrity.
We have had one playoff win in the last 15 years.

Tough times to be a Cowboys fan.

1/7/12 7:55 PM
HEMAN

Sift...u can look at this year like I did...a rebuilding year with a new OLINE and defense. We ALMOST made it to the playoffs. I doubt we would have done shit because our D was horrible and OLINE inconsistent. However, it looks like we will have money this year in FA. I suspect we will try to get Carl Nicks( OG ); and Cortland Finnigan( unless they franchise him CB ); Red Bryant( unless they franchise him NT ). In the draft I would go either OG/OLB/DE/DT. If we go OG that means we are committed in protecting ROMO and be a scoring team sacrificing our defense a bit.
1/7/12 10:43 PM
Joulnx

Edited: 01/07/12 10:46 PM
Wasn't expecting much from the boys this year and looks like I was right in my pessimism. Romo had one of the best years of his career and they still failed to make the playoffs. This team is deficient in a lot of areas especially defensively. The O-line is young, inexperienced and will improve with time. I'm not so worried about the offense as I am the defense.

To play a scheme like RR's we need capable corners and safeties. The only DB I'd keep around is Mike Jenkins that whole aspect of the team needs to undergo an overhaul. To compound the DB issues is the fact that the blitzes RR calls either never get home or players end up missing easy tackles on backs or the QB. We have no playmakers on defense other then D Ware and Lee and even those guys seem to disappear when the game is on the line.

Besides talent, the team just seems to lack a killer instinct and it appears like they fold at the first sign of adversity. They invent new ways to lose every week, if it's not Garrett screwing up the TO situation its the defense giving up a last minute drive or Romo throwing a pick(s) or its the kicker missing field goals. Unless something drastically changes in Cowboyland (ie JJ hiring an actual GM) this team will continue to underachieve and the Cowboys will return to their 5-11 seasons of the early 2000s or the lean years of 80s where we were literally the laughingstock of the league.
1/8/12 6:33 AM
PoundforPound

The disheartening thing is that there are so many holes that need filling, on both sides of the ball. Some might get fixed this offseason but others will have to wait until the next.

It's really a 2-year job. Assuming we do everything right.
1/8/12 1:18 PM
SiftMyMind

Joulnx - Wasn't expecting much from the boys this year and looks like I was right in my pessimism. Romo had one of the best years of his career and they still failed to make the playoffs. This team is deficient in a lot of areas especially defensively. The O-line is young, inexperienced and will improve with time. I'm not so worried about the offense as I am the defense.

To play a scheme like RR's we need capable corners and safeties. The only DB I'd keep around is Mike Jenkins that whole aspect of the team needs to undergo an overhaul. To compound the DB issues is the fact that the blitzes RR calls either never get home or players end up missing easy tackles on backs or the QB. We have no playmakers on defense other then D Ware and Lee and even those guys seem to disappear when the game is on the line.

Besides talent, the team just seems to lack a killer instinct and it appears like they fold at the first sign of adversity. They invent new ways to lose every week, if it's not Garrett screwing up the TO situation its the defense giving up a last minute drive or Romo throwing a pick(s) or its the kicker missing field goals. Unless something drastically changes in Cowboyland (ie JJ hiring an actual GM) this team will continue to underachieve and the Cowboys will return to their 5-11 seasons of the early 2000s or the lean years of 80s where we were literally the laughingstock of the league.

This!

1/8/12 2:28 PM
SiftMyMind

Throughout all this time of underachieving, JJ has continued to do very well financially.

Only the fans have had to suffer.

1/9/12 10:27 PM
Joulnx

SiftMyMind - Throughout all this time of underachieving, JJ has continued to do very well financially.

Only the fans have had to suffer.

I don't think that's entirely true. I truly believe JJ cares about how the team does, I think he cares more then just about any other owner in the league. I truly think he's suffering right now despite all his money. He wants wins and championships, that's what drives him. He's just extremely stubborn and overestimates his talent evaluation skills. Like I've said previously the best players on this team were brought in while Parcells was coaching and making personnel decisions. Romo, Austin, Witten, Ware and Ratliff are all Parcells guys. Have you given thought to where we'd be without these players?

Newman should have been released years ago. Unless you have a stud corner like C. Bailey, Revis you don't keep a corner around for 8+ years. Guys like B James, A Spencer and M Bennett have overstayed their welcome imo, when's the last time these guys made a play in a big game? Scandrick has no business being an NFL DB, his technique and ball skills are horrible. When the Parcells guys get old and retire we'll see what type of team JJ can really build on his own. I'm sadly anticipating many seasons with 5 wins or less if something doesn't change.
1/10/12 2:43 AM
SiftMyMind

Edited: 01/10/12 2:49 AM
Here are the words of your beloved JJ who cares so much:

Jerry Jones: Romo was a miracle.
Other guy: It was a miracle, wasn't it?
JJ: He almost never got in, and he almost was gone. Tebow would never…
Different other guy: What if you were the Jaguars or — would you just, just draft him and sell fucking jerseys?
JJ: That's the only reason I brought in Bill Parcells.
[Laughter]
JJ: [Inaudible. Sounds a little like, "Sell mammoth fuckin' rake," whatever that means.]
JJ: Bill's not worth a shit. I love him.
Different other guy: I know you do.
JJ: Not worth a shit, but I wanted — they were on my ass so bad. J's gotta have a yes man. So to get this fuckin' stadium, I need to bring his ass in.
Different other guy: What, you, you wouldn't take Tebow in the third round?
JJ: Why? He'd never get on the field. I can't get him out there.
[Laughter]
JJ: I can't get him out there
1/10/12 2:46 AM
SiftMyMind

All about bringing Parcells to build a stadium, not to win a championship.

One playoff win in 15 years doesn't cut it!
And JJ is a big part of the problem!!

1/10/12 6:00 PM
Joulnx

SiftMyMind - Here are the words of your beloved JJ who cares so much:

Jerry Jones: Romo was a miracle.
Other guy: It was a miracle, wasn't it?
JJ: He almost never got in, and he almost was gone. Tebow would never…
Different other guy: What if you were the Jaguars or — would you just, just draft him and sell fucking jerseys?
JJ: That's the only reason I brought in Bill Parcells.
[Laughter]
JJ: [Inaudible. Sounds a little like, "Sell mammoth fuckin' rake," whatever that means.]
JJ: Bill's not worth a shit. I love him.
Different other guy: I know you do.
JJ: Not worth a shit, but I wanted — they were on my ass so bad. J's gotta have a yes man. So to get this fuckin' stadium, I need to bring his ass in.
Different other guy: What, you, you wouldn't take Tebow in the third round?
JJ: Why? He'd never get on the field. I can't get him out there.
[Laughter]
JJ: I can't get him out there

This convo looks familiar, where is it from? Was it the taped conversation from a bar from a couple years ago. I think most came to the conclusion that JJ was drunk and just joking around when he said this stuff. Ever see a JJ interview on NFL Network? He's a jokester and even kidded about committing suicide if the Cowboys lost to the Bucs in December. This doesn't prove anything. JJ would have built that stadium with or w/o Parcells trust me.
1/10/12 6:03 PM
Joulnx

And yes I agree JJ is a big part of the problem, but that doesn't mean he doesn't care about wins and losses. Read or watch interviews of former Cowboys like Irvin, E. Smith, and you'll never hear them say that he's not passionate or doesn't want to win.
1/10/12 7:05 PM
SiftMyMind

Edited: 01/10/12 7:06 PM
1/10/12 7:05 PM
SiftMyMind

JJ is more concerned with his ego and proving how much he had to do with Dallas' early success.
I don't have to read or be concerned with what anyone else has to say to see that.

If JJ really cared he would put the team ahead of his ego.
He would stop getting in the way of the team's success
(performance-wise, since financially the team has prospered).

You feel free to endorse JJ, all you want.
As a fan, I am tired of the mediocrity.

1/10/12 7:33 PM
PoundforPound

Jerry likes to win, and he does spend money on the team.

But he refuses to give full control of football-related matters to someone with a good football mind. All because of his ego.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.