NFLGround >> Dallas Cowboys

3/19/12 4:22 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
SiftMyMind
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/20/12 2:34 PM
DEFENSE:

DLine - Still needs MAJOR work
- (As Caleb mentioned a while back, PASS RUSH is a BIG problem and fixing it starts here)
- (there is a question as to whether there will be a 4-3 or a 3-4 formation used this year)
- (Ratliff will be either a NT in a 3-4 or a DE in a 4-3)
- (Can see an early draft pick being used at this position, i.e. a DE or a DT)

LBs - Starters in place but could use more depth
- (If it's a 3-4, they will be looking to start Ware, Lee, Carter and Spencer)
- (If it’s a 4-3, will rotate those four in starting lineup in some manner - injuries, depth, etc.)

Safeties - Starters in place but could use more depth
- (SS will be Poole and FS will be Sensabaugh, but position depth is questionable)
- (Will have to draft for depth at this position)

CBs - Starters in place but no depth
- (Carr promises to be a very good acquisition/his stat. numbers in KC were strong)
- (Carr, Jenkins and Scandrick rotate as starters, but position depth is zero!!!)
- (Will have to draft for depth at this position)

3/19/12 4:42 PM
SiftMyMind

Edited: 03/19/12 5:08 PM
SPECIAL TEAMS:

Punter
- (at the very least, as competition for Chris Jones)

Kick Returner/Punt Returner
- (I think we need a dedicated Returner, like Cobb in Green Bay, who is not
a. a starter, e.g. Dez Bryant, and,
b. who is not the ONLY 2nd stringer for that position, e.g. Felix Jones)

Special Teams is okay otherwise (although I wish Romo wasn’t still Holder)

3/19/12 4:43 PM
SiftMyMind

Retroactive FRAT warning
3/21/12 2:01 PM
SiftMyMind

I think the first round pick for Dallas will be a DE (ie, a pass rusher).
The acquisition of Brandon Carr makes it unlikely that they will use this pick for another CB.
Would be great if Quinton Coples was available at the 14th pick!

I think Dallas will use its 2nd round pick to draft a hybrid WR/TE type of player like we see so often used in the league these days
(e.g., the Packers’ Jermichael Finley or the Patriots’ Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez)

3/21/12 3:56 PM
PoundforPound
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I want DeCastro, but my second choice is a DE. If Coples isn't there then Fletcher Cox would be good.

If Melvin Ingram falls to the 14th pick he's intriguing as well...maybe he's Anthony Spencer's future replacement.

We definitely don't have to worry about another cornerback in the first round.
3/21/12 5:31 PM
Caleb
237 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SiftMyMind - I think the first round pick for Dallas will be a DE (ie, a pass rusher).
The acquisition of Brandon Carr makes it unlikely that they will use this pick for another CB.
Would be great if Quinton Coples was available at the 14th pick!

I think Dallas will use its 2nd round pick to draft a hybrid WR/TE type of player like we see so often used in the league these days
(e.g., the Packers' Jermichael Finley or the Patriots' Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez)

Sift,
First off, nice write up. I agree with everything you have said with all the positions so far. I'm not real thrilled with the way free agency went but we did ok. The big deals were Carr, Orton, and Vickers.. in that order. Vickers is a big mouth and is good at rallying the team before the games. We really need more players like that. Before all we had was Brookings sad ass to rally the ream.. how are you going to psych up a team pre game when you yourself can't do ANYTHING on the field?

I really freaking like Carr and he was BADLY needed but we will need to address the secondary more in the draft. Scandrick is a joke, Sensabaugh is a joke, and Jenkins is made of glass and you never know what you are going to get year to year with him.

Our biggest need right now appears to be the defensive line. I was so pissed when we franchised Spencer. 9 million for one year? Ridiculous for such an average player. I'm not sure who we are going to take first round. If Decastro is on the board, he is the best possible pick but the way they are picking up offensive players in FA, it makes me think we are going to go defensive line or CB in the first round.

Our offensive line was ranked 14th in the league last year, It wasn't nearly as bad as it was portrayed. Through the first half of the year it was top 10.

I would love Coples with the first pick but I'm fairly certain he will be gone. Ingram being there is more likely.

Anyway, we have a lot of good things to look forward to. Demarco Murray, Bailey, Lee, Carter, Smith, Carr, etc.

I'm really excited to see what Murray can do this year. I'm a big believer in him. I wish we would trade away Felix for a secondary or defensive player. Felix hasn't done squat for our team and is always making bone headed plays like fumbling in our own red zone, running out of bounds when we need to stop the clock, staying in bound when we need to conserve time, etc.
3/22/12 2:49 PM
SiftMyMind

Still scratching head on the Spencer franchising myself.

Maybe he will surprise this year.

3/22/12 6:20 PM
Caleb
237 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SiftMyMind - Still scratching head on the Spencer franchising myself.

Maybe he will surprise this year.

No chance... last year was a contract year and he didn't do jack squat. He is such a major bust and we stick with him. At least we didn't give him a long term contract (yet).
3/28/12 4:24 PM
HEMAN
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sift...the issue with Spencer is there was no1 in the draft that could respectably replace him. Ingram and Upshaw are not impressive to me. Ingram has short arms = horrible in coverage and run. Upshaw show 0 explosion in the combine. And these are the top OLB prospects that could fall to us. It's not a deep draft for OLB. Hopefully next year will be. We do need to get some pass rushing DEs! All we have now are guys that are plugged in to the stop the run. Ratliff is the only beast we have on the DLine.
3/30/12 4:19 PM
PoundforPound
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HEMAN - We do need to get some pass rushing DEs! All we have now are guys that are plugged in to the stop the run.

Just looking at film Coples seems too lackadaisical. Fletcher Cox on the other hand almost always ends up behind the line of scrimmage.

We might be able to trade down, get another pick, and still draft Cox. That's what I would do if I were GM Jerry.
4/5/12 4:53 PM
HEMAN
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cox or Castro would satisfy me.
4/6/12 2:52 AM
PoundforPound

I've been fantasizing about a safety lately. That position might be weaker than cornerback, neither Sensabaugh nor Pool are world beaters.

Maybe take Harrison Smith in the second round. Or if the top guys on Dallas' board aren't there at 14 perhaps we trade down and get Mark Barron.

So many ways we could go...it's fun to think about.
4/6/12 1:48 PM
HEMAN

If anything the Giants have shown us is that a devastating pass rush offsets all other defensive position. They have won 2 SBs with their pass rush alone. Eli has played better this year...but his QB rating were still below Romo. Romo has never had the dominate defense that the Giants/Eagles/Skins seem to have year after year. We were 14th ranked this year but we lost games to the Giants/Patriots due to our horrendous pass rush. Secondary suck too LOL!
4/6/12 4:43 PM
Caleb

HEMAN - If anything the Giants have shown us is that a devastating pass rush offsets all other defensive position. They have won 2 SBs with their pass rush alone. Eli has played better this year...but his QB rating were still below Romo. Romo has never had the dominate defense that the Giants/Eagles/Skins seem to have year after year. We were 14th ranked this year but we lost games to the Giants/Patriots due to our horrendous pass rush. Secondary suck too LOL!

Eli was average until he got into the playoffs and then wrecked ship. That dude is close to unstoppable in the playoffs. He is completely fearless. Unlike our QB Romo. Romo is a stat king during the season but get him in a playoff game and he melts down. We would need a defense like the 49'ers go to and win a superbowl. 

I will still keep hoping though. 
4/6/12 6:59 PM
Jayreeee
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I want cox!!!!
4/9/12 7:02 AM
SiftMyMind

The following names have been mentioned as candidates for Dallas's 14th round pick:

David DeCastro, G, Stanford
Michael Brockers, DL, LSU
Dontari Poe, DL, Memphis
Quinton Coples, DL, North Carolina
Melvin Ingram, LB, South Carolina
Mark Barron, S, Alabama
Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama
Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama
Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina
4/9/12 1:38 PM
Jayreeee
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really like castro,the guard from Stanford.
The o line is solid at the tackles but they desperately need to upgrade the 2 guards and center. The two free agents we picked up at guard will help tremendously and if we draft Castro we can live with whoever at center. Phone Post
4/9/12 2:38 PM
PoundforPound

We can live with the guards we have. The team should have picked up a center in free agency, Phil Costa was terrible last year.
4/9/12 3:03 PM
HEMAN

They had to go younger at Guard. Kosier and Holland were often injured plague. Livings and Bernadeau are just veterans who may end up being Starters. I believe the 5 million cap hit hurt us...we seemed to have interest in Grubbs.

At Center...there will be camp battle. Costa/Kowalski/Arkin.

DeCastro...is needed otherwise if he's picked up they'll probably get one in the 2nd round.
4/9/12 4:03 PM
PoundforPound

If we were going to take a guard in the first round of the draft then why use salary cap space on those free agents? Better to have filled another position instead because we have so many holes.
4/9/12 10:50 PM
HEMAN

DE/DT positions doesn't seem to be anybody in FA. If anything I wish we had switch to a 4-3 and get Mario Williams. Then u'll have a squad of...

William/Ratliff/Hatcher/Ware pass rushing. But we got this shitty as 3-4 with an undersize NT. :(
4/10/12 1:32 AM
PoundforPound

Instead of the crappy guard free agents we could have gotten one of the good centers for example.

Kamerion Wimbley was also available and he would have improved our pass rush.
4/10/12 3:54 PM
Doomsday

SiftMyMind - The following names have been mentioned as candidates for Dallas's 14th round pick:

David DeCastro, G, Stanford
Michael Brockers, DL, LSU
Dontari Poe, DL, Memphis
Quinton Coples, DL, North Carolina
Melvin Ingram, LB, South Carolina
Mark Barron, S, Alabama
Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama
Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama
Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina

Very similar to KC. I dont like Poe, Barron, or Jenkins that high.
I think there are too many 5 techs around the same level of ability. May be wiser to wait til later. DeCastro will most likely be gone at 14. If you need a receiver, think Floyd.
4/22/12 9:34 PM
SiftMyMind

Edited: 04/22/12 9:52 PM
I see DL and WR/TE as main positions of needs.
DL in Round 1 and WR/TE in Round 2.
(maybe a WR who can also be a punt returner)

Cowboys have addressed QB, FB, OL, S, and CB needs in free agency.
Cowboys are pretty much set at RB and LB.
Only WR/TE and DL are major needs which haven’t been addressed in free agency.

4/22/12 9:53 PM
PoundforPound

4 days away! Can't wait.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.