UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Ed Soares: Chael Sonnen doesnt deserve title shot

2/8/10 5:21 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
lookoutawhale
1122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/08/10 7:24 PM

http://www.sportsnet.ca/mma/2010/02/07/showdown_web/

Chael Sonnen is doing his best to promote a fight with Anderson (The Spider) Silva.

by Joe Ferraro

At UFC 109, Chael Sonnen bullied the middleweight title shot right out of Nate Marquardt's hands, but in doing so, finds himself caught within a spider's web.

The new contender to Anderson Silva's crown appears to also have had an epiphany when it comes to the art of promoting a prize fight. Over the past few weeks, the former Olympic wrestling alternate has taken his fair share of pot shots towards the champ, and the Brazilian's camp has taken notice.

In a phone conversation with Ed Soares, Silva's representative, the rebuttals were mainly professional, but I did get a sense that if Sonnen chose to continue the war of words, "The Black House" family would be more than willing to oblige in verbal warfare.

"At the moment, we are completely focused on Anderson's title defence versus Vitor Belfort (at UFC 112 in Abu Dhabi)," Soares said.

Soares continued by stating that "we've spoken with Chael on many occasions and have the utmost respect for him. He's never really come across in this manner, and it's obvious he's just drumming up hype in hopes to get a bout with Anderson."

While UFC president Dana White did state that the winner of Saturday's co-main event between Sonnen and Marquardt would fight the winner of Silva and Belfort, Soares didn't necessarily agree with this decision.

"We are fine if this is what the UFC wants, but if you look at this logistically, Sonnen should fight Demian Maia first. Demian beat up easily, by submission, so why not make them fight first, to determine who gets a shot at the title?"

It remains to be seen whether the UFC matchmaking team decides to go with Soares' suggestion, but when it comes to some of the comments made about his client, Soares did reiterate that it's more hyperbole than fact.

In various interviews, Sonnen referred to himself as the "alpha male" in the locker rooms and that Silva knew who the real "bully" was backstage.

"There's not much to say about that," stated Soares. "It's funny, but really, who actually listens to what Chael Sonnen has to say? The only time people listen is when he talks about Anderson. Who is he, really? If you walk down the street and you mention his name, does anyone really know who this guy is? Likely not, but if you mention Anderson Silva, people know the name."

Sonnen's dominant performance on Saturday night raised many eyebrows, as his excellent execution of a stellar game plan for Marquardt proved he is a worth contender to the title, but his comments about who many consider the pound for pound best fighter in MMA are alarming.

When referring to The Spider, he stated in multiple interviews that the champ's "fifteen minutes of fame were up" and that if given the choice to fight either Belfort of Silva next, he chose the latter, claiming it would be "an easier route" to championship glory.

Soares chuckled at the comment but wondered aloud if Sonnen's intentions weren't more secretive.

"Chael's also said a few things about Anderson's choice of clothes and that he wears earrings, didn't he? Sounds to us like he may have a crush on Anderson."

With Chael Sonnen now realizing the importance of hyping up his own fights and that fact he has an incredible gift of making statements that are worthy of their own headlines, one can only imagine the drama that will unfold in the days to come, and especially leading up to a potential bout with Silva. 

2/8/10 5:24 PM
Bill Pharoni
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Soares should know a thing about promotion. If he disrespects all of his fighter's opponents, ruining their credibility, he'll make less money.

If not Sonnen, then what? Another 6 months of inactivity?
2/8/10 5:26 PM
Greasegate
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah Soares is the man but he needs to keep his opinion to himself and just focus on selling whatever fight the UFC sets up.
TheGoldenRule
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

*shakes head*
RickStorm
1914 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They better just pay attention to Vitor, not that I think Vitor can beat Anderson.. Im just saying
2/8/10 5:28 PM
dunchurrn
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't be scared, homie
2/8/10 5:30 PM
lookoutawhale
1122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

at this rate is anyone worthy? he said this about

vitor
wanderlei
hendo
damien maia
marquardt
sonnen
gsp

shogun didnt deserve machida

does Ed think anyone is worthy?
2/8/10 5:30 PM
anunaki
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

he may not deserve a title shot, but he sure deserves an ass whuppin, so im ok with it.
2/8/10 5:31 PM
dentalninja
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Heartbroken Lee - Silva's never fought a wrestler like Sonnen

You don't count Dan Henderson?
2/8/10 5:32 PM
supersonic
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HeartbrokenLee sums up my thoughts.
2/8/10 5:33 PM
Mister Bri
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't care for Sonnen, but he earned a shot IMO.
2/8/10 5:34 PM
john joe
401 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fighters Only Magazine, Website Editor
when i saw the thread was started by lookoutawhale i was expecting a humorous remix vid of ed soares saying belfort doesnt deserve a shot,but with sonnen's name clipped in over belfort's.

*plants idea in whale's head*
Big EP
382 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Silva's never fought a wrestler like Sonnen

Dan Henderson?
Bam57Bam
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Of course not.  If it's up to Soares Anderson would never defend his title.
2/8/10 5:35 PM
Mugsee

Soares is quite possibly the most annoying manager to read about.
2/8/10 5:36 PM
manfor22

Heartbroken Lee - He's got a point, but at the same time, Sonnen just dominated the guy that KO'd Maia.

I just want to see Sonnen get his shot. The timings right, Chael is on form, Silva's never fought a wrestler like Sonnen, and the trash talk (from Sonnen at least) will be something to behold...

No Andersons' never fought a wrestler like Sonnen, only better ones like Dan Henderson.
2/8/10 5:38 PM
JonnyW
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dentalninja - 
Heartbroken Lee - Silva's never fought a wrestler like Sonnen

You don't count Dan Henderson?

Two different fighters though. Dan likes to stand and try to land the big KO shot, Sonnen is going to try and put him down and maul the shit out him.
2/8/10 5:39 PM
louden swain
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm starting to really dislike Soares...he doesn't think anyone deserves a shot at Anderson... If it were up to him Anderson would just watch all the events until Ed feels someone is deserving...
2/8/10 5:43 PM
Fastwalker

Say what you want about Chael but I'll buy this card just to see him get his ass kicked. Which is more than you can say about the average joe in MMA.
2/8/10 5:44 PM
lookoutawhale

john joe - when i saw the thread was started by lookoutawhale i was expecting a humorous remix vid of ed soares saying belfort doesnt deserve a shot,but with sonnen's name clipped in over belfort's.

hmm..

or maybe a remix of the movie, Wayne's World with Ed mixed in there while Wayne and Garth say "we are not worthy!! we are not worthy!!"

2/8/10 5:46 PM
Okkun
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The only one worthy of facing King Emperor Anderson the Great is, apparently, Rich Franklin.
I'm guessing they are lobbying for a 3rd fight, this time at 205.

2/8/10 5:46 PM
john joe
401 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fighters Only Magazine, Website Editor
lookoutawhale - 
john joe - when i saw the thread was started by lookoutawhale i was expecting a humorous remix vid of ed soares saying belfort doesnt deserve a shot,but with sonnen's name clipped in over belfort's.

hmm..

or maybe a remix of the movie, Wayne's World with Ed mixed in there while Wayne and Garth say "we are not worthy!! we are not worthy!!"

your public awaits; to the whalemobile!
2/8/10 5:50 PM
Sudo21
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And who did Silva fought to get a title shot?

Oh yes, Chris Leben.
2/8/10 5:51 PM
MillhouseMMA
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

and a big middle finger goes out to Ed Soares
2/8/10 5:54 PM
lookoutawhale

john joe - 
lookoutawhale - 

hmm..

your public awaits; to the whalemobile!

hop in John, i want you to be my robin!

*kicks open passenger door*

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.