UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> Anyone ever buy a decomissioned cop car?

2/8/10 6:33 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Atecexa
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They seem to go really cheap compared to similar yr and mi cars out there. I need a car that seats six and is still reasonable on gas and overall cost. Just wondering if anyone here has ever bought a used copper. I'm talking specifically about crown vic's here too.
2/9/10 3:35 AM
Roy Batty
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Known a couple people who bought them. They aren't a bad buy if they're in good shape; they're safer than a regular Crown Vic due to a reinforcement in the back and have a more durable motor that can be idled longer too. Try to get a detective's car -- they've generally been treated more gently.
2/9/10 6:12 AM
walbjj
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

u mean with cop shocks, cop tyres, cop engine, like in the blues brothers?
2/12/10 10:11 PM
Ponyboy
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My buddy just bought one and the lighter doesn't work.
2/18/10 1:11 PM
Crush Crawfish
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Try to get one made the year before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas
2/23/10 2:05 PM
jodienda
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Crown Vics in general are supposedly great, reliable workhorses.

Bularian cabbie I kickboxed with had nothing but praise for his. His only complaint was mediocre mileage.
3/3/10 1:24 PM
Atecexa

well it is a 4000+lb V8 car so well yeah

anywho i ended up picking up a 98 LeSabre w/122k for $1000 rock solid 3800 V6 and in good shape
3/6/10 10:33 AM
stevekt
616 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What is the difference between the Police Interceptor and the regular Crown Vic? I was in a P.I. taxi in San Diego and it seems to get up and go pretty well. The cabbie seemed pretty proud of his ride and showed off a bit when the lights turned green.
4/19/10 9:34 PM
morotetsuke
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

depends on jurisdiction. small jurisdiction=bad move those cars are often hot seated (one shift out and the next right back in)

performance is ok but not great

often comes with heavy duty hoses, alternator, and tranny coolers
4/19/10 9:59 PM
Atecexa

and what i never even knew was that the front bench are converted into buckets and there is really nothing in the way of creature comforts. im glad i found the buick i did, for $1000 ya cant beat it
4/22/10 3:05 AM
Roy Batty
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

stevekt - What is the difference between the Police Interceptor and the regular Crown Vic? I was in a P.I. taxi in San Diego and it seems to get up and go pretty well. The cabbie seemed pretty proud of his ride and showed off a bit when the lights turned green.

See my post above re: the differences. BTW, a lot of taxis are used Police Interceptors bought at auctions and then repainted.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.