UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> The Real Hughes and Renzo Story

2/9/10 12:08 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Matt Pena
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The claims that Hughes is calling Renzo old is a complete fabrication from a writer struggling to find a story, so he is making one! I was next to the two guys when they were doing their interviews both times in Miami. Hughes was having fun with the interview and making a references to how the young new generation of fighters has arrived, and how him and Renzo were the older guys fighters in the division. So Cofield turns this, and tells Serra that "Matt called Renzo old" in an attempt to create fireworks. A gracious Serra (after his win) saw right through it, and said Hughes must have been kidding. Then Serra said, if Matt thinks Renzo old than Hughes is taking Renzo too lightly. All of a sudden he's pushing a story that Serra said, "Hughes is taking Renzo too lightly".

The truth is, Matt thinks Renzo is the best MMA fighting Gracie out there. Matt is currently in Salt Lake City with Jeremy Horn and myself at Elite Performance. Matt showing up to camp 9 weeks out is a record for him. Hardly the signs of someone taking a fight lightly. We anticipate a tough fight, and Matt will be ready for a tough fight.

Cofield at Cagewriter purely has an axe to grind with Hughes, which is kind of funny. When reading his articles, his opinion and knowledge of Hughes is based on what he saw on The Ultimate Fighter show. This is purely laughable. Everyone knows its edited to create a storyline (having done two seasons myself, you still may not know how badly its edited). Those that have actually met Matt, spent time with him and dislike him, I can respect that. Everyone has a personality type that doesn't mesh with them.

I think its sad that in such an exciting sport as MMA, with so many interesting things to write about that MMA atheletes have to deal with guys like this. Cofield is just one of a handful of MMA bloggers/journalist that use such underhanded techniques to create a story. There are a many very good sports writers out there, so understand that I'm not lumping them all together. But in no other sport out there are there so many bad writers, writers trying to make a living out of disrespecting the athletes.

Matt Pena
2/9/10 12:21 PM
MNFAN
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt

good post. I've always felt like Cofield was that kid in high school trying to stir up crap. I know he's trying to draw an audience, but there are good ways, and deceptive ways about finding or creating a story.

I think Ariel could tap him at the next UGGP.
2/9/10 12:25 PM
NJstileNJ
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fiercedragon - hopefully renzo sends hughes to retirement...

fixed
2/9/10 12:34 PM
facetiousjab

i would love to see Renzo catch Hughes in a sub
2/9/10 12:42 PM
Cyril Jeff
187 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wow, nice journalistic integrity...
don't have a good storyline? make one up!

2/9/10 12:43 PM
Trojan Rubber Guard
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well how else is Cofield going to get people to read Cagewriter/Yahoo! Sports
2/9/10 12:44 PM
TrevorRice
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i am glad this is happening. The Royce fight was like watching a rape. Renzo can definatly win,
2/9/10 12:50 PM
super chin
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cofield is an awful writer.
2/9/10 1:00 PM
bhamill
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hopefully it is a great fight and neither retires but both give us MORE great fights. Both these guys have been at it forever, done a LOT to build the sport, and like or dislike deserve respect.
2/9/10 1:01 PM
ausgepicht

Cofield should be ashamed. He's no journalist writing that garbage.
2/9/10 2:04 PM
EasyTapper
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fiercedragon - hopefully hughes sends renzo to retirement...

How anyone can like Hughes over Renzo is beyond me. Didn't you see Hughes on TUF?? He was a complete ass.
2/9/10 2:13 PM
brutusdabaptist
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WAR RENZO!!!
2/9/10 2:15 PM
Jonny Future

dude how could anyone not like renzo???
2/9/10 2:16 PM
pigpen
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wtf?

why?
2/9/10 2:18 PM
ajl416az

hating on Renzo is a pure bitch move.  you must have some female parts
2/9/10 2:18 PM
Fenix
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cofield is and has always been a douchebag with zero class.
2/9/10 2:19 PM
Mamushi

I'm looking forward to the Hughes vs. Renzo matchup, and it's nice to have some clarity about those stories.  Thanks for the post.
2/9/10 2:20 PM
Nackerz

best reporter is Ariel Helwani no one ele touches him imo

and Hughes will moidah Renzo (I hope not but fear the worst)
2/9/10 2:25 PM
frontrowbrian

Thanks for clearing this up.

Just another example of Matt Hughes being the most inaccurately portrayed fighter in the business by the MMA mark media who care more about their precious media credentials than actually putting out stories with the slightest bit of truthfulness.
2/9/10 2:28 PM
daglord
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GREAT POST MATT!

i was getting the same vibe from those cagewriters stories.
looking forward to this fight!
2/9/10 2:32 PM
jkkazmier
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

vtfu
2/9/10 2:38 PM
threestars35

Cofield has always been an ass as a blogger in MMA
2/9/10 2:43 PM
frontrowbrian

Edited: 02/09/10 2:44 PM
 Another all star classic abortion Cofield blog post.... he posts a video with the headline of something like "FRIEND ACCUSES CHUCK LIDDELL OF USING HGH" and links to a video. The video has a former friend of Chuck's, Chris Greenman (former college wrestling teammate of Chuck's) and another guy..they're watching fights and commenting. Greenman clearly says "Dana's on that HGH stuff". Cofield puts a headline saying Greenman said Chuck was on HGH. Then like 50 people make a comment below the post saying Greenman didn't say anything about Chuck and HGH yet Cofield never corrects the blog post. Cofield is an embarassment but because he's a mark for Dana and Dana gives him access, he's difficult to ignore unless you know better.  
2/9/10 2:43 PM
CJJScout
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Matt Pena - But in no other sport out there are there so many bad writers, writers trying to make a living out of disrespecting the athletes.

Matt Pena

Sums it up nicely.
2/9/10 3:13 PM
HAMMER
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I want Renzo to win...But Hughes is going to smash him.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.