UnderGround Forums

JKD UnderGround >> Knife as a tool

2/9/10 1:51 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Joe Maffei
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Some folks have been doing some discussion on edged weapons as of late. Some mentioned the knife as a tool.
The knife is one of the early basic machines called a wedge. Two incline plains put together. These tools have been made from, stone, bone, and wood in the earliest stages then progressed in the copper, bronze and iron age.
Understanding how and why a knife is used can be traced to prehistoric times. I use to roll my eyes when Dan Inosanto would lecture on tribes, cultures, tools and weapons. But as I grew older I gained a huge appreciation for history and is now a part of my ongoing studies.
I would urge anyone who is interested in edged weapons to make history part of your game plan. .
Flint knapping with obsidian and flint/chert or blacksmithing to fordge your own blade , is a lot of fun and to learn a craft like knapping that dates back to cave dwellers making spear heads and such is pretty cool.

Sometimes it’s nice to get out of the fighting stuff and broaden your MA’s with archeology, anthropology, metallurgy, social studies etc. Not what many would call JKD, but it is JKD to me.
2/9/10 1:57 PM
Stephen_Carnes
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like the ideas you have put forth. Actually I have thought about taking up smithing, but with what all it takes to get started, I doubt I will get the chance, though I would love to go to a workshop and take a few classes.
2/9/10 1:58 PM
EasyTapper
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WFA
2/9/10 2:00 PM
tripped_on_a_left_hook
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does Dan Inosanto do a lecture on wrong forum asshole?
2/9/10 2:04 PM
Zedlepln
226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cutlery bashing, IMO.
2/9/10 2:33 PM
crowbar
606 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/09/10 2:58 PM

Some folks have been doing some discussion on WRONG FORUM ASSHOLE as of late. Some mentioned the knife as a WRONG FORM ASSHOLE.
The knife is one of the early basic machines called WRONG FORUM ASSHOLE. Two incline plains put together. These tools have been made from, stone, bone, and WRONG FORUM ASSHOLE.
Understanding how and why a knife is used can be traced to WRONG FORUM ASSHOLE. I use to roll my eyes when Dan Inosanto would lecture on tribes, cultures, tools and WRONG FORUM ASSHOLES. But as I grew older I gained a huge appreciation for WRONG FORUM ASSHOLE and is now a part of my WRONG FORUM ASSHOLE studies.
I would urge anyone who is interested in WRONG FORUM ASSHOLE to make history part of your game plan. .
Flint knapping with obsidian and flint/chert or blacksmithing to fordge your own WRONG FORUM ASSHOLE, is a lot of fun and to learn a craft like knapping that dates back to cave dwellers making spear heads and WRONG FORUM ASSHOLE pretty cool.

Sometimes it’s nice to get out of the fighting stuff and broaden your MA’s with WRONG FORUM ASSHOLE. Not what many would call JKD, but it is just WRONG FORUM ASSHOLE to me.

2/9/10 2:34 PM
RickStorm
1510 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol
2/9/10 2:59 PM
jkd4200

inf0 - works great if you shove it in their WRONG FORUM ASSHOLE

this is not actually the wrong forum you asshole...

i have watched every single ufc since day 1 of this ride and after just about each fight i can honestly say..."if that person knew about self perfection drills and working with a knife his game would be so much better..."

Not many people can move like Anderson Silva... but with years of knife training you can sure be on the right path.

Dan Inosanto could help out alot of pros. Even Anderson has done some training with him.
2/9/10 3:01 PM
jkd4200

BUT i guess i should be glad that so many of you dorks who think MMA is the end all be all do not train the Filipino Arts.... you are the same dipshit who go on and on about how Bruce never fought in a cage... go fuk yourself.
2/9/10 3:09 PM
crowbar
606 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At ease soldier.

2/9/10 5:02 PM
Racer X
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jkd4200 - BUT i guess i should be glad that so many of you dorks who think MMA is the end all be all do not train the Filipino Arts.... you are the same dipshit who go on and on about how Bruce never fought in a cage... go fuk yourself.

Jeez Loiuse, try the decaf!

Who the hell is going to listen to your POV when you address them like that? You cut off your own point when you do that.

No offense, but take a deep breath or don't post. I can delete rude posts all freakin' day. I don't, but I can.
2/9/10 5:03 PM
Racer X
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PS I have trained Escrima, so I share your apparent enthusiasm for how edged weapon training enhances your striking,defense, and footwork.
2/9/10 5:25 PM
Trojan Rubber Guard
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

www.swordarts.com/forums
2/9/10 6:50 PM
Joe Maffei

yeah,some of you guys get it but some don't.
sorry ladies...:)
2/9/10 10:23 PM
WidespreadPanic

When I started in FMA, back in 1979, one of the first things I did was go research various exotic woods. Osage Orange grew near where I live. It's a very heavy dense wood. Nothing like the purpleheart or exotic you find in the Philippines, but available. I also researched and experimented with long hiccory axe handles and white oak.

I also used various metal bars for the extra resistance.

Then I researched knife blades, compositions, Wootz Steel, and Damascus and wrote to various knife makers and talked to them and got their catalogs. There were a lot of good custom knifemakers back then. I still have several knife annuals put out by Ken Warner in 83,84 and 86.

I looked at blade shape, balance and length and various designs, spear point, drop point, hunters, daggers and drove to Atlanta to visit the little store now known as 'Atlanta Cutlery', in Conyers Georgia. I visited Wash DC and looked at some high end balisongs and eventually bought several, many from low end dealers, and one from Benchmade. They were expensive back then for someone making 12K/year as a budding Pathologist.

Basically I read everything I could get my hands on, visited the LoC, and scoured bookstores and then trained with Mat Marinas and one family style - it was a heady time. We brought Dan Inosanto to our health club and he gave a seminar. But information was scarce back then. Ray Terry ran a UNIX FMA Listserv and we emailed, but there was no WWW.

Now, people have a wealth of information. Balisongs are banned everywhere and it's illegal to carry anything over 4" in many places.

Just some musings on the early days.

2/11/10 10:15 AM
Joe Maffei

Edited: 02/11/10 10:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/user/wildernessoutfitters#p/u/71/m13XdBFUPIM

It's nice to research but if you want to really learn how and why a knife is a tool and how it has been used throughout history you have to get right in there. Hunters can appreciate this but it may be a bit to much for the average MA guy so if you are a bit squeamish don't view this.
2/11/10 10:41 AM
WidespreadPanic

You may be underestimating people. I did small animal surgery, exchanged the blood volume of many, many sick patients, worked in the ER, and saw a lot of bad injuries.

There really is no 'average' MA guy any more.  Many years ago TMA consisted of a lot of college guys and then females. Now, there has been a revolution and it's swung the other way. There's a lot of blood and guts in fighting, and people are learning to deal with it.

Having said that, people who play with knives don't always understand the stark reality of using them.

2/11/10 1:59 PM
Joe Maffei

I said the average MA guy, there are many EMT's and folks in the medical field and way to many kids back from service and as I said many, many hunters who have seen blood and cuts. That's not my point, so to speak...:)

Investigating a knife as a tool can bring you closer to who you are today. Tracing back history shows us how far away we have strayed and also how far we have advanced as a society. To try to replicate the old ways and what it would be like to live without modern convince is humbling.

WP you mentioned the tool of a butcher, and you say you have done small animal surgery in essence you yourself have been a butcher, you know.

There is also a totally different thing from bleeding in a fight to tracking, stalking then killing an animal. Cook it, eat it and then were it. These are primal skills that most in our society today can not except let alone perform. There are cultures and some people that still live this way. I believe that taking yourself out of the comfort zone and forcing yourself to experience some of the old skills gives you a renewed appreciation for the simple things in life that many take for granted and gives you a sense of self reliance that you would not find elsewhere.

Many great warriors possessed these old skills from Alexander the great to Attila the Hun, to Geronimo all great hunters, they had to be, to be strong as a leader and in battle.

WP I am glad to see you are interested in the knife beyond the fighting aspect.
2/18/10 2:07 AM
jkd4200

Racer X - 
jkd4200 - BUT i guess i should be glad that so many of you dorks who think MMA is the end all be all do not train the Filipino Arts.... you are the same dipshit who go on and on about how Bruce never fought in a cage... go fuk yourself.

Jeez Loiuse, try the decaf!

Who the hell is going to listen to your POV when you address them like that? You cut off your own point when you do that.

No offense, but take a deep breath or don't post. I can delete rude posts all freakin' day. I don't, but I can.

i was responding to the WFA post.... i think that warrants a little fire, i think that deserved a finger wag in the face... eh?
2/18/10 12:31 PM
laqueus

people who post WFA are just infantile. no point in responding, if you do, you make yourself look just as bad

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.