UnderGround Forums

JKD UnderGround >> book recommendation: Emergency

2/9/10 3:20 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
twinkletoesCT
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Modern Self-Defense Center, Head Instructor

I just read "Emergency: This Book Will Save Your Life" by Neil Strauss. I've been a fan of Neil's for awhile, having read some of his other works (he's best known for "The Game", about the art of picking up women).

Emergency is an autobiographical account of how, during the span of the Bush administration, Neil came to feel that in the event of an environmental, economic, political, or personal catastrophe, the US Govt would not be of any help to him and that he should prepare himself to better insure his survival.

He begins as a typical guy, maybe even a little more glued to his technology and convenience than the rest of us, and quickly finds himself stockpiling weapons and bottled water in his garage and test-driving his all-terrain-motorcycle on trips through the desert to the airport where he can fly his single prop plane to the island in the Caribbean where he has bought dual citizenship. Yes, really.

I'd love to discuss the book, if anyone else here has read it or is interested. I polished it off in about 2 days last week, due largely to Neil Strauss' quick-moving writing style.
2/9/10 3:56 PM
Joe Maffei
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did you think the guy was way over the top, or did you think the guy had some solid points?
2/12/10 4:11 PM
twinkletoesCT
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can't it be both?

I agree with the following:

• Most of us are not fully prepared for large-scale disasters.
  • It might be helpful to make some preparations for some of those events.

With that said, my personal opinion is that he sounds like a less healthy person by the middle and late parts of the book than when he began.  Certainly, I'm interpreting this merely from the character he portrays in the text and it may be no reflection on the real life person. 

I'd like to extend an opinion that many people spend their lives trying to defend themselves from external stimuli (everything from muggings to home invasion to terrorist attack and hostile takeover), when in fact realistically there are much more probable internal causes of harm (home accident, poor nutrition, unhealthy vices, eating disorders, mental health disorder, suicide). 

I think we have an over-fixation with defending ourselves against the remote chance of external danger to the extent that we don't address the internal dangers.  It's not as romantic as "knife disarms" or "dual passports", but we might actually gain more quality of life from things like "regular dentist visits" and "annual checkups with a therapist". 

I went to an event this week put on by the founder of PostSecret, and he had a lot of interesting things to say about the prevalence of self-harm in our greater community.   Maybe we need to do some more work on that before we start addressing the latest ways of killing looters who come to steal our bottled water and MREs. 
2/13/10 1:30 PM
Joe Maffei
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree, but how do you do that??
Where seat belts is a good start, but with all the recalls for faulty brakes, steering ect, it would be safer just to walk or ride a bike unless some drunk driver hit's you.

Regular doctor visits is a smart choice, but with corrupt doctors, kickbacks and scams on scrips, why put extra med's in your body if you don't need to

Eating healthier is also a good choice, but are you sure what foods are really safe, or did the FDA get bought off and we find out later we have been swallowing some form of cancer.

Society has conditioned us to be dependent on having others to provide, and many are walking on eggshells thinking of all the what if's?

I have an idea? Grow your own vegetables or gather wild edibles, hunt, fish, and tend to your own livestock. Doing this alone will keep you exercising, breathing fresh air, and this will leave you no time to be worrying about looters taking your MRE's which are bad for you anyway. Get rid of your TV which is a major promoter of all vice and spend time with your family
2/13/10 1:50 PM
twinkletoesCT

Joe Maffei - I agree, but how do you do that??

Well, for starters:

1) Learn what it means to have good mental health. Learn productive tools to cope with stresses and traumas, to regulate unhealthy feelings, and to examine and monitor your general mental & emotional welfare.

I think this might be the biggest tool of all, when it comes to quality of life, and I think we spend the least time directly addressing what goes into it. That needs to change.

2) Keep yourself healthy physically. Find a doctor you trust and see him/her regularly. Ditto that for the dentist. Not all of them are corrupt pill-dispensers trying to make a buck off of you, nor is every food secretly poisoning you.

Eat well. Be active. Store household chemicals properly. Test your smoke detector twice yearly.

3) After you've made sure that YOU are helping to improve your quality of life as much as possible, THEN if you still feel like it, worry about other folks interfering with it.

I think paranoia about the "what if's" is a big clue that we aren't paying proper attention to our mental health. If we get to the point that we can't make a sandwich, walk up stairs, or see a stranger without fearing for our safety, then our biggest problems are NOT the sandwich, the stairs, or the stranger.

I don't think a good, healthy lifestyle is incompatible with 21st century living, but it needs attention. I think I can have a cell phone, internet, and Xbox while keeping myself healthy inside and out. We just need to learn to see the bigger picture, starting with what's going on inside of us.
2/13/10 4:13 PM
twinkletoesCT

^^^ Agreed.

I also liked Freakonomics and I'm looking forward to reading the new one.
2/14/10 10:40 AM
twinkletoesCT

Yeah, I sorta assume that they were using those novelty handcuffs and not "real" ones. When I was a kid, I wanted to be Harry Houdini, so I would let my younger brothers handcuff me to things and whatnot and then escape. I got pretty good. But these were the standard handcuffs you can buy anywhere and not official, LEO-style ones. When I read the bit about the pen cap, I assumed he was using the same ones I had.
2/14/10 2:35 PM
Paul Hopkins
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Twinkletoes, you are the Leo Busaglia of JKD.

I'm not so sure everyone should be growing their own food and raising cattle. But I would certainly encourage people to try new things.

Riding a unicycle, weaving a basket, eating exotic cheeses, or learning a new language are just a few suggestions.

I was told by a woman at the Oregon Commission for the Blind that braille can only be learned by the young. So if you are already old you may as well scratch that one off your list of things to do.

Hording gold and canned food could backfire if you get foreclosed or have a house fire. In the event you are forced to haul it all around in a shopping cart people should have an industrial grade wheelbarrow with a built in lock on their BOBs.
2/14/10 7:45 PM
Joe Maffei

Personally I think people that horde "years" of food, stock pile weapons/ammo and carry around BOB's are pretty lazy, dependent and not self reliant at all. This whole hype of the new survivalists is gay. This is what the yuppie does and calls it being prepared.
it's a joke. My happy thought for the day, now I can go see my theripist....:(
2/14/10 10:01 PM
Paul Hopkins
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i have  288 gigabytes of survivalist manuals stored on my computer.

how will i access it all when the shtf?

then I thought, "why not get a book on ethnobotany?"

better yet, how about a library of edible books?

and how about this book?

2/14/10 10:35 PM
Joe Maffei

A multi tool.....BRILLIANT!!!!!
2/14/10 11:27 PM
twinkletoesCT

Paul Hopkins - Twinkletoes, you are the Leo Busaglia of JKD.

I'll take that as a compliment ;)
2/14/10 11:34 PM
JRockwell
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JiujitsuForeva -statistically is is more dangerous to walk home drunk than drive home drunk.

After living in State College PA for about three years, I can attest that this is 100% correct. Many of the students seem to have a really hard time crossing at crosswalks after having a few adult beverages, and regularly stagger out into the street in front of moving vehicles.
2/15/10 1:47 PM
Joe Maffei

Lee, howdy, joe here. I agree every family should have a weeks worth of food, water, med,s and maybe some gas etc. But stock piling stuff is crazy. I do have lots of vid's on Utube re survival and we teach courses at my school. But the approach is so different then some of these nut cases and emergency supply co. want you to believe.

I would say that 70% of what I got re survival I got from a retired Special Forces guy. He wasn't about killing or sneaking around at night or what not, he taught me that it's not about having all sorts of gadgets and stuff like the preppers and extremists have, it's about understanding how your body works, understanding how to regulate your body temperature with knowledge and skills so you don't go into hyper – hypothermia. Even in an urban survival situation like the snow storm that wiped out DC. If you were home with your family the number one priority would be to maintain core body temp for your team. There is a strategy behind this training, prioritizing and procedure. It's not about having camo'd gear, face paint, and guns. That's so stupid.

Folks read these books on the collapse in Argentina and such and start living in fear and start being weird and paranoid, escaping handcuff's give me a break? No need for that, there are better ways spent learning.

For example; your body losses heat 5 ways.

1.Conduction: sitting directly on the ground and having the earth draw your heat out.

2.Convection: Where the wind blows your body's heat out.

3.Radiation: where heat rises through the top of your head into the atmosphere.

4.Perspiration: losing heat through sweat.

5.Respiration: Breathing out all the warm air in your body.

This knowledge is worth its weight in gold because it tells you what your next step is if one of these 5 is lacking.

Buying gas mask's, and hiding food and supplies in certain places on your way to your hideout is just simply ridicules, and ignoring basic survival skills to help your family and community is just as ridicules ...IMHO.
2/15/10 9:11 PM
Paul Hopkins

twinkletoesCT - 
Paul Hopkins - Twinkletoes, you are the Leo Busaglia of JKD.

I'll take that as a compliment ;)
It was meant as an absolute compkiment. I remember hearing Mr. Buscaglia speak about good mental health when I was a teen. He compared a sound mind to a table with many legs. Every interest a person has adds a leg to the table. If a person has devoted their life or attention to one or few things and that "leg" is removed the table would easily collapse.

No one knows what is going to happen next in this economy. But it couldn't hurt to prepare for the worst while hoping for some kind of miracle. The next few years are looking pretty rough from my angle.

2/16/10 10:22 AM
Joe Maffei

Paul you are absolutely right IMHO. And I agree 100% with Mr. Buscaglia about diverse interest. And as I said I agree every American should prepare but the stupid ways people prepare is nuts.

As you said paul, what if you were smart enough to have food, water, generator etc but you had a house fire, all your stuff is inside and is gone so it did you no good. now you need to move to plan B.... Red Cross? I guess?

You mentioned economical crisis so what is the worst case? Foreign investors don't want to buy our Bonds, the dollar crashes and the money in your wallet is worthless, inflation spikes and bread and milk are off the charts. Unemployment is in the 20's, 30's or higher looking a bit like the Great depression. Welfare checks stop. Supermarkets are striped as we have seen in DC over a little snow. Not looking good, really we are no different then the victims, of Katrina, or Haiti for that matter. millions with no money, no homes, and no food.

Could it happen? Anything is possible. Will it happen? I doubt it, but folks doubt they will have a house fire too.

So what do you do? What does Mr. Buscaglia do? What does twinkletoesct do? or millions of Americans do?

Twinkletoesct says for starters do this

1)Learn what it means to have good mental health. Learn productive tools to cope with stresses and traumas, to regulate unhealthy feelings, and to examine and monitor your general mental & emotional welfare.

I think this might be the biggest tool of all, when it comes to quality of life, and I think we spend the least time directly addressing what goes into it. That needs to change.

2) Keep yourself healthy physically. Find a doctor you trust and see him/her regularly. Ditto that for the dentist. Not all of them are corrupt pill-dispensers trying to make a buck off of you, nor is every food secretly poisoning you.

Eat well. Be active. Store household chemicals properly. Test your smoke detector twice yearly.

3) After you've made sure that YOU are helping to improve your quality of life as much as possible, THEN if you still feel like it, worry about other folks interfering with it.

I think we might need a little more then that...:)
2/16/10 8:10 PM
Paul Hopkins

A pair of high quality boots is always a good idea.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.