UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> SHTF Dream Arsenal

2/10/10 12:57 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
frankenchrist
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So let's suppose that the shit hits the fan, be it one of many scenarios...

1. the dollar collapses, and its every man for himself.
2. natural disaster of epic proportions.
3. biological outbreak.
4. nuclear attack.
5. the zombies finally show up.

In these situations, I think that most of would either hole up in our familiar surroundings, or bug out to the middle of nowhere to get away from the most populated areas. I think that there are pros and cons to each. Personally, I would pack up my truck and SUV, and hit the road for less populated areas. I live in northern Colorado, and have a few ideas for where I would try to get to, and would probably be living out of a small trailer for the foreseeable future.

So in a situation like that, where you will be providing for yourself, defending yourself, your family, and your belongings, what types of weapons (specifically guns) do you want?

Here is a list of guns that I either own, or plan to purchase in the future. I enjoy guns, but honestly I want to be prepared for all situations, including a total collapse of our country's infrastructure.

Personal Protection:
Large Caliber SemiAuto Handgun (.40 or .45)
Mid Caliber Revolver (.38 or .357)
Pistol Grip Shotgun on a sling

Home/Shelter Defense:
Large Caliber SemiAuto Rifle (7.62x39)
Large Caliber Long Range Bolt Action (.308)
Tactical Shotgun (Saiga 12?)

Hunting:
Good, accurate 22LR (cheap varmint meat)
SemiAuto Shotgun (Remington 1110 or Beretta 390?)
30.06 (many, many cartridge options for all hunting scenarios)

I know you AR guys are probably going to rape me for talking about a 7.62 and .308, but I am personally quite attached to my SKS, and the .308 just seems like its meant for sniping. Also, I know most SKS and AK platforms can be modified to FullAuto fairly easily, not sure about the AR platforms.

There are probably some things I am missing, which is why I love threads like this. So please, add your own preferences of platforms/models for various scenarios/uses.
2/10/10 4:16 AM
LakerGirl
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dood, you are carrying 7 different cartridges, not very smart IMHO.

Saiga 12
sawed off double barrel pistol grip 2 shot manual load, as small as you can get it. (maybe one for each adult)
Rock River .308
Savage .308
2x.22 handguns 1 for me, 1 for my wife
10/22 for my wife

extra .22 rifles for each small child, extra .308's for male children over 12 unless you have an older daughter that is a beast.

3 types of ammo.

And if you want to say that a .22 pistol is too weak we can arrange a time and place for me to shoot you with one in the leg or arm (with a waiver of course).
2/10/10 2:54 PM
frankenchrist
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like what you mentioned about the extra .22s for the kids. I think that in these times, we forget just how much work the children would have to do if we reverted back to a more primitive lifestyle.

I'm failing to see the issue with the various types of ammo. Please explain why you think its a bad idea. More specific rounds for situational use seems reasonable to me. But if I dropped a secondary handgun (revolver), and the 30.06 (.308 will drop anything), then I could be down a couple of more rounds if its that big of a deal.

Don't necessarily want to spend an extra $1200-$2500 on a Rock River .308 SA when I have a fully capable SA rifle in the SKS. Money could be better spent on other resources, I believe, but I would want a good bolt action for hunting/sniping.

If I can run away from you at full speed, with jeans on, I think I might let you shoot me in the leg. I saw an episode of cops where a kid in LA got shot while running away from someone with a .22 pistol, and he found the bullet in his shoes. Bullet went through his pants, bounced off his skin and fell into his shoe.

I'd probably have to be pretty drunk to actually have the balls to go through with it though.
2/13/10 2:39 PM
EasyTapper
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The issue of various types of ammo is efficiency. If you only have 3 types of ammo, it's less to carry, less to store, and less to buy. Also in LakerGirl's scenario, if one of her .308s goes down, the ammo can be used in the other .308. Also streamlines the reloading process if you only need the materials for 3 different reloads.
2/15/10 9:10 PM
crobrun
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For the sake of argument (and I have no claim on being an expert) Wouldn't a larger arsenal allow for scavenging of ammo.

And I want one of these

http://ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkConvertible/models.html

in .38/.357/9mm
2/15/10 11:11 PM
frankenchrist

i think that scavenging may be something to think about, but the reloading argument that EasyTapper brought up is huge. i hadnt thought about that, since reloading is not something i have given a shot yet. but having the ability to reload ammunition, and having more options of weapons to put those reloads through would definitely be an advantage.
2/18/10 10:42 AM
Muppetmower88
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

well first i would load up with some reloading equipment get some 30 caliber bullets plenty of brass and i would most likely carry 30-06, .22LR, and pistol would be 40 and for a carbine i would probably take hi-point and just reload reload reload and ill be set. oh and everyone needs a shot gun.
2/19/10 9:46 AM
johnnypayne
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gotta have firearms in all the popular calibres, remember, not matter how much ammo you have it will not last forever so you will have to scavenge, so you need to have at least one each of 7.62, 5.56, .45, 9mm 12 gauge and .22.

So, here's my list:

7.62Springfield M1A Scout W/ JAe stock

5.56 Remmington ACR

12 Gauge Molot Vepr

.45 Les Baer Monolith

9mm Browning high power

.22 Ruger 10/22 with Rezolution "L" monolithic aluminium reciever

That should cover me :)
5/12/10 3:29 PM
Mrbrownfolks
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/12/10 3:30 PM
I started off buying for home defense and hobby but went out of control. In x39, I have a yugo m70ab2, 2 converted saigas and an sks. I have a converted 308 saiga, aresenal 410, remington 870, 10/22, marlin model 70, mosin m44, plr-16, bersa 380, tangfolio 380, glock 30, taurus 85, taurus 357, taurus pt92, and a stoeger cougar 9mm.
6/8/10 9:48 PM
Dojosensei
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think I'm good on numerous calibers as it is. Of course every time I sell a cage/ring I do buy more. Also have a few boxes of MRE's. The inlaws keep me stocked on those.

9mm's
22's
40 cal
45GAP

I think that about covers it. I just don't have anything shotgun-wise yet and I am not really a fan of them at all.
6/9/10 4:58 PM
SirPrize
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What do you guys think about the availability of .40 cal in SHTF? Would it be better to swap out for .45?

On a side note - I have really been considering buying a pistol that supports several conversions. I *was* looking at the new SIG P250, but it has gotten HORRIBLE reviews for its lack of reliability - a LOT of jams. Can you guys suggest a good "conversion" pistol?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.