UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Coleman not retiring

2/10/10 4:02 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
913 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

"I'm not sure," Coleman said when asked if the UFC has released him. "I really don't want to comment on that right now until I know the situation."

Although Five Ounces of Pain reported on Wednesday that Coleman has been released from the promotion, Coleman said he hasn't talked with UFC President Dana White, UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta or anyone else at the UFC about what his future with the promotion might be.

"I'm definitely going to keep fighting," Coleman said. "I'm still trying to figure out what's going on. I want to fight in the UFC. I want to beat Tito Ortiz -- bad -- but really I just want to fight in the UFC."

If the UFC isn't an option for Coleman, other promotions might be. In Japan, Dream is planning a light heavyweight tournament this year, and Coleman -- who's popular in Japan from his days fighting in Pride -- would be a natural fit for that tournament. 

"I just need to train harder," Coleman said. "I need to work harder."

read entire article...

2/10/10 4:04 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
fanoffights
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Crap, there goes Christmas again!
2/10/10 4:06 PM
Bankless
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dear Mr Coleman,

No more boxing.

With love,
everyone who watched your last fight.
2/10/10 4:09 PM
Snakey

It makes me feel sick that the UFC cut him after a main event.
Should have at least give him a good send off.
Strikeforce suddenly looks a lot better now
2/10/10 4:10 PM
MMAmike

He should go back to Japan and roid up for a few more marquee fights. He should then use the money he makes during that time to support him and his family until he can land a job as a HS or College wrestling couch so that he can support himself when he can no longer do that (which is fairly soon, I'm afraid).

Juiced up Coleman vs Minowaman at Dream NYE!!
2/10/10 4:21 PM
Lite
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Feel bad for Coleman. I wish he'd set more aside, or been in the position to do so. His family deserves better than what their going to get chasing after a fight career that is actually over.
2/10/10 4:31 PM
Mako_
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lite - Feel bad for Coleman. I wish he'd set more aside, or been in the position to do so. His family deserves better than what their going to get chasing after a fight career that is actually over.

Sadly, I agree with this.
2/10/10 4:42 PM
thforklift
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't know enough about Coleman or his finances to comment about why he should or shouldn't fight. But if his body is not going to cooperate with his heart then it's time to go. I still believe in him but I'd rather not see him have to deal with all this.
2/10/10 4:46 PM
BUFFGEO
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is the first time I think the UFC actually considered someone else when they made a decision. Colman is fuckin finished! If he cant see that im glad the UFC does!
2/10/10 4:50 PM
Morgz
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Underground News -

I really don't want to comment on that right now until I know the situation.

I didn't know he was such a fan of the Jersey shore

*rim shot*

2/10/10 5:20 PM
bemsqua
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

His stand up was pathetic against Randy. I know he probably trained his butt off for the fight. He was in a good camp, but looked like a total amateur on his feet...very slow. It's probably good that he got let go....I don't want to see him take a beating. Randy isn't the best striker in the world. If he's in there against some of the guys in the 205 class, he may get hurt. It's hard to understand why some guys just can't evolve other areas of their game....especially when you're in great camps. I think Hershel Walker's stand up looked better than Coleman's and he just started MMA.
2/10/10 5:21 PM
RelentlessMMA
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fanoffights - Crap, there goes Christmas again!

LOL
2/10/10 5:23 PM
likatiga
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Snakey - It makes me feel sick that the UFC cut him after a main event.
Should have at least give him a good send off.
Strikeforce suddenly looks a lot better now

I don't get this mentality. What is your idea of a "good send off"? An undercard fight with somebody he can beat? A non-televised fight?

His fucking "send off" was a MAIN EVENT fight with one of the only active living legends of the sport. Seriously, tell me what better way is there to go out?
2/10/10 5:25 PM
awilson82
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Let Tito fight him after Chuck kills Tito.
2/10/10 6:10 PM
Ronin 7
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Coleman needs to fight Tito. There should be no hesitation about that. I hope they let Coleman back into the UFC. He is a legend, and should be able to fight on cards (pre-lims) or work for the UFC in some capacity.
2/10/10 6:14 PM
BUDDHASPORT
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dana please give him one more fight against Tito!!!!!!!
2/10/10 6:17 PM
Steamfitter

Antidote is going to lay down the smack in Strikeforce. Fedor is going to get grounded and pounded.
2/10/10 6:22 PM
clarenceworley
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sadly, Coleman should fight Ken Shamrock, Tank Abbott, and Don Frye for paydays, pro-wrestle in Japan, then bounce and coach hs/college wrestling.
2/10/10 6:59 PM
frontrowbrian

Just as the Antidote cancelled Christmas, he's cancelling retirement. That's for quitters. The Antidote will be back. Hopefully at HW.
2/10/10 7:14 PM
frontrowbrian

THE ANTIDOTE-- THE REAL LIFE ROCKY BALBOA
2/10/10 9:05 PM
Jamon Shakur

Let the legend rest before you make him answer career ending questions. The Antidote just fought the Michael Jordan of MMA in Randy Couture. He is the fucking man no matter what in my book.
2/10/10 9:11 PM
GladiatorGannon
223 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAmike - He should go back to Japan and roid up for a few more marquee fights. He should then use the money he makes during that time to support him and his family until he can land a job as a HS or College wrestling couch so that he can support himself when he can no longer do that (which is fairly soon, I'm afraid).

Juiced up Coleman vs Minowaman at Dream NYE!!

It's tough to support a family on what a wrestling coach makes. Why not Coach MMA?
2/10/10 9:17 PM
BJJkilla
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the hammer back in japan would be perfect
2/10/10 11:15 PM
Steamfitter

Lion Of Zion - Got to admire a guy who comes into a fight in his best shape ever and after losing says he needs work harder.
2/10/10 11:31 PM
TheBear228
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Hammer is a living legend as far as I'm concerned, but he's fuckin crazy if he thinks that by training harder his problems will be solved. I feel terrible that his body won't allow him to do what his mind desires, but that doesn't mean I'm going to support watching him batter himself into oblivion.

I hope he isn't as financially desperate as his situation leads me to believe, because he should be at home enjoying his family and sparing his children from the sight of him being destroyed by guys more athletic, healthier, younger, or a combination of all three.

He should find the courage to retire, and try and work a job with the UFC as an ambassador of the sport and the company. He'd represent both with a lot of pride and honor, and hopefully a job like that would pay enough to keep him stable.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.