UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> Kukri for stabbing?

2/11/10 11:02 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
laqueus
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just had a thought based on some fencing swords that have more of a pistol grip than a traditional handle, and was thinking the curve of a kukri would result in something similar, making it easier on the wrist to thrust straight. Is this actually a benefit that would carry out, or is there something else about it that would make it unideal?
2/12/10 7:52 AM
Skpotamus
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The point of the kukri is so far from the handle that it creates a lot of torque on your wrist if you try to thrust with it and is pretty weak at it, at least it was for me when I tried it. YMMV. It does offer some excellent chopping action though.

A smaller version, like the Kabar TDI works well for it though (kind of like a push dagger) with the point so close to the grip.
2/12/10 8:00 AM
laqueus

I hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense. I doubt that would vary much for me now that you've mentioned it.
2/12/10 8:33 PM
WidespreadPanic

Hold the blade with edge up. Put hands in a boxer's posture, hands up in front, knife in dominant hand. Now fire straight out from your nose height to opponent's imaginary left eye, relax last two fingers of hand. Retract along same line. (Don't totally straighten elbow).

Large heavy kukris might not lend themselves to this, depending on wrist strength, hand size.
4/28/10 11:06 PM
cagepedia

kukris normally dont have guards, not a good stabbing weapon, great for hacking/shopping though.
7/28/10 11:34 AM
jodienda
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've trained Kukri about 10 years with various Bando guys.

They can definitely be used as stabbing weapons - target is typically the abdominal cavity. I was taught to stab with the empty 'guardian hand' on forearm/wrist to guard against possible deflection and also to slam the forearm once penetration occurs (and the kukri may get stuck), widening the wound as it exits.

I've used a kukri while butchering hogs - it is a horrifying weapon. All the superlatives about it being able to effortlessly remove limbs are true - the first time I decapitated a hog, I thought I'd missed. Didn't even feel it separating the spinal column.

Dr.Gyi used to bring a binder of kukri victim photos to his Kukri camps. The kukri stab wounds were huge, fatal, triangular shaped, eviscerating horrors.
8/4/10 11:42 AM
cagepedia

jodienda - I've trained Kukri about 10 years with various Bando guys.

They can definitely be used as stabbing weapons - target is typically the abdominal cavity. I was taught to stab with the empty 'guardian hand' on forearm/wrist to guard against possible deflection and also to slam the forearm once penetration occurs (and the kukri may get stuck), widening the wound as it exits.

I've used a kukri while butchering hogs - it is a horrifying weapon. All the superlatives about it being able to effortlessly remove limbs are true - the first time I decapitated a hog, I thought I'd missed. Didn't even feel it separating the spinal column.

Dr.Gyi used to bring a binder of kukri victim photos to his Kukri camps. The kukri stab wounds were huge, fatal, triangular shaped, eviscerating horrors.

wow thanks for clearing that up... I assumed they wouldn't be good for stabbing since they didnt have a guard, and th flare of the blade on the back. I havent handled a kukri in about 10 years. I bought one the last time I was in Kathmandu (1999) but I sold it a couple years later.
8/7/10 10:21 PM
Kai Tremeche

jodienda - I've trained Kukri about 10 years with various Bando guys.

My wife still is chortling over this description.
8/15/10 3:59 PM
WidespreadPanic

Oddly, except for the heavier blades, the best 'attack' angle with the light Kukri is the lead hand high stab with the blade edge up. Extremely fast and non-telegraphic if done correctly.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.