UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Melvin Guillard vs. Thiago Tavares in the works

2/13/10 11:23 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
epwar
603 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good lord, they really want to test his ground game. At least Melvin is taking it in stride. News via MMAjunkie:
Slugger Melvin Guillard's (23-8-2 MMA, 6-4 UFC) tour of the UFC lightweight division's best submission fighters isn't over just yet.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has learned from sources close to the organization that Guillard and Brazilian Thiago Tavares (14-3-1 MMA, 4-3-1 UFC) have verbally agreed to meet at UFC 114.

While not yet officially announced by the organization, UFC 114 is expected to take place on May 29 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

A devastating striker, Guillard has been fed a heavy diet of grapplers in recent contests. "The Young Assassin" has won four of his past five outings – a stretch that includes victories over Brazilian jiu-jitsu players Ronys Torres and Gleison Tibau.

Guillard recently moved to the famed Jackson's camp in New Mexico, and prior to his UFC 109 win this past weekend over Torres, he jokingly told MMAjunkie.com that UFC matchmaker Joe Silva must have it in for him considering the recent stream of submission-wizard opponents.

"I think (UFC matchmaker) Joe Silva has it out for me," Guillard joked. "No, it's not frustrating. That's the one hole in my game, and once I can convincingly start beating these jiu-jitsu guys, then that sets the mark for me as one of the greatest fighters. Even before I win a title, I can be labeled one of the greatest fighters if I can take out some of the guys that are very, very great and good at submissions."
2/13/10 12:18 PM
Fugazi
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn, bad match up for Guillard.
2/13/10 2:52 PM
Bry Bry

its stupid as hell to keep throwing guillard in with great grapplers..they do the same thing with Spencer fisher and it always results in the same type of fight which is one guy trying to sprawl and brawl while the other is constantly going for takedowns...its just not fun to watch..

put Guillard against Stout or Fisher or jeremy STephens already!!!
2/13/10 2:55 PM
BJJkilla
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wasn't melvin in talks to fight fisher?
2/13/10 3:31 PM
Chappie
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Horrible matchup for Melvin.
2/13/10 3:59 PM
Jetster
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

they should let him perfect his ground game another year
2/15/10 10:04 AM
S0ME0NE_BETTER

This is definatley not a bad match-up for Guillard. Torres never came close to submitting him & he looked way better definsively after training at Jackson's & working with Joe Stevenson. Plus, Tavares likes to stand & bang anyways, so he'll prolly get ktfo.
2/15/10 10:09 AM
Khabeer Rockley

S0ME0NE_BETTER - This is definatley not a bad match-up for Guillard. Torres never came close to submitting him & he looked way better definsively after training at Jackson's & working with Joe Stevenson. Plus, Tavares likes to stand & 'Wang' anyways, so he'll prolly get ktfo.

Fixed
2/15/10 12:25 PM
goeb
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I will go with Melvin actually, he has gotten better at being able to scramble back up when taken down, and I think he'll get tavares to brawl with him.
2/15/10 12:52 PM
NorthFromHere
309 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hope Melvin beats the piss out of him. In his last fight Tavares kicked Lentz on the nuts twice on purpose.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.