UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> pickling or salt preserving small game

2/14/10 8:37 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Robert Wynne
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

First have ready a sterilized crock, which is not metal!

Combine thoroughly:
6 quarts of water
3 cups of pickling salt
1 cup of sugar
1 tablespoon saltpeter..( Optional, the saltpeter protects the color of the meat..it adds little to the preservation of it.)

After this is thoroughly dissolved. pour it into the crock.This solution will be enough to cover 20 to 30 pounds of game. Add the meat,which has been previously cleaned...making sure the glands have been removed.
Put a weighted plate or board over the meat to make sure each piece is held under the brine.If any small piece sticks out it can spoil the whole container of meat. Cover it carefully and put it in a cool place, where it will stay under 40 degrees. Every week, remove the cover, turn each piece of meat over, stir the brine carefully and cover. If you ever find the brine has become thick or ropy, remove the meat and scrub each piece, scrub out and scald the container, make the new brine and proceed as directed above. If you are pickling the meat before smoking it...15 days should be enough for the salt cure before you smoke it.

*field and stream
2/15/10 12:47 AM
LakerGirl
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You are not putting 20-30lbs of game in a crock pot. No way.
2/15/10 6:57 AM
Robert Wynne
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i didn't say crock pot..................................a crock is an old term..used to describe a large pot.
2/15/10 9:37 AM
LakerGirl
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ok, got it. I hear crock and cooking and I think crock pot.
2/15/10 5:56 PM
Robert Wynne

lol
2/19/10 1:03 AM
ashleigh11
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

use a pressure canner. each quart of meat needs about 15 minutes in the pressure canner and you're done.

i have a couple of earthenware crocks i use for pickles and kraut. i don't think i'd like the idea of meat in an open crock. seems like too much damn work for a product that might end up rotting.
2/19/10 7:15 AM
Robert Wynne

your correct...but what if you don't have electricity?
2/28/10 8:11 AM
Robert Wynne

Edited: 03/16/10 2:29 PM
the difference between making a container of brine and using modern gadgets is.. the brine is for storage of freshmeat...i don't want to cook it yet, because i do not have refrigeration..its a survival situation.
3/16/10 2:38 PM
Robert Wynne

plus i think i picture survival a little different than you ..... me its living in caves and dugouts, and hunting for  meat and scavenging supplies...aftermath living.. i think you piture it differently.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.