UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Heath Herring:"DFW has 6 Ferraris, I just want 1"

2/14/10 3:24 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JT42382
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UFC Quick Quote: Heath Herring calls out Dana White and Zuffa for unfair treatment

Techno-viking_tiny by James Kimball

"I really don't care too much for them, and I don't think they care too much for me (Dana White and the UFC ownership group).... They've got their guys they want to push, guys they want to market. Randy Couture, Brock Lesnar and Frank Mir are the guys they want to push and market. The problem is if you're one of the guys who's not one of their favorites, they want to keep you out of the competition.... I'm trying to make money for myself, feed my family, and these guys are trying to do everything they can to make it impossible for me.... With the way the UFC's pay scale is and as much as it costs me to get ready for a fight, at the end of the day I made like 40 grand.... If I was getting a little more money and it was worth my while I'd get back into fighting. But right now I'm making more in movies. I've got to look out for number one as far as that goes.... These guys are literally making money off our blood, sweat and tears. We don't get any health insurance. If you get hurt training for a fight, you're screwed. It's really kind of crazy.... Dana White's got six Ferraris. Hell, I just want one."

-- UFC heavyweight (for the time being at least) Heath "The Texas Crazy Horse" Herring had some choice words for Dana White and company when he spoke to Fight Night Radio on ESPN 1080 about the current state of his mixed martial arts career. Herring, who hasn't fought since UFC 87 when he took on Brock Lesnar, puts the blame for his recent inactivity square on the shoulders of the Zuffa brass
2/14/10 3:34 PM
NoPlacebo
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's absolutely right about the insurance however. Zuffa needs to cover guys if they are signed to fight.

Still just like in every business in the world it's all about your worth to the company. Is Heath even worth 40k a fight when other guys are making much less simply because they are not heavyweights?
2/14/10 3:43 PM
Bill Pharoni
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If he can make more money in movies then that is what he should do. I think he's a little butthurt about his lack of success in the UFC.
2/14/10 3:44 PM
daba
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Timmy B - So he can make $40,000 for a fight after expenses. If he fights twice a year.... That is much more money then most Americans make. If he fights 3 times a year.... That is in the upper 10% of pay for an American employee.

They are also taking that money and investing it into international expansion to give more fighters a chance to fight. How many good UK fighters was there 3 years ago? Basically none. The UFC invested money into the sport there and it has paid off....

The UFC is the only organization to put money back into the sport.

Most Americans don't bring in nearly as much money as the UFC fighters do for Zuffa. And while it's true he makes more than the average American, he has far less job security. How long is the average career in the UFC?

As for international expansion, the NFL and NBA etc always put money into international expansion. MMA is still a young growing, sport it only makes sense for Zuffa to invest money abroad. It means more money for them.
2/14/10 3:45 PM
daba

100Percent - $40K profit. Reality is he needs start a business. With $40K he could get into a viable franchise business that his family could run while he was training AND get him that Ferrari. But you can't have a fighter mentality.

Problem is these guys don't realize understand money.

But its clear - the fighters need a much bigger cut of things.

As the expression goes... 9 out of 10 businesses fail.
People seem to think starting a business and turning it into a success is easy and just requires putting X amount of dollars in. If it only were like that.
2/14/10 3:47 PM
squirrel516

100Percent - $40K profit. Reality is he needs start a business. With $40K he could get into a viable franchise business that his family could run while he was training AND get him that Ferrari. But you can't have a fighter mentality.

As a small business owner I have to disagree with this statement.

First of all, the $40k he profits after a fight might be before taxes. Take what's left and he has to pay for LIFE. Mortgage/rent, utilities, food, child needs, insurance, etc. How much is left after all that? Its not like he's banking $40k 2-3x a year.

Second, there aren't too many viable Franchises that can be started with $40k. Many require $20-$30k just as a franchise fee. That doesn't include securing a location, first, last and security on the lease, buildout/construction costs, equipment costs, lawyer's fee, starting merchandise/inventory, possible payroll money ready to go and more. Not to mention you need 1-3yrs survival money in the bank, as most small businesses don't survive past 18mo, and rarely become profitable before 3yrs.

Third, if Herring could get that far, he would still be quite a ways off from buying a ferrari with a business the likely won't be profitable for 3yrs.

Lets knock it off with "fighters don't understand money."

None of the above advocates Herring's position against the UFC. I think he's making a mistake with what he is saying. The UFC is a business above all else.
2/14/10 3:48 PM
crazydave
199 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bill Pharoni - If he can make more money in movies then that is what he should do. I think he's a little butthurt about his lack of success in the UFC.

bingo!
2/14/10 3:50 PM
Steve4192
222 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mcpeepants232003 - Herring makes 70/70 for each fight and dude has been less than impressive in the Ufc.

The fact he's making that kind of money, as a gatekeeper, and still complaining is ridiculous.

Exactly.

Heath also neglected to mention the bonus structure that Zuffa makes available to fighters.  Filthy Tom Lawlor, Marcus Davis, and Chris Lytle have all made themselves a small fortune by collecting multiple bonus checks, and they don't make anything close to the base pay that Herring makes.  If you perform at a high level, your compensation reflects that.

Heath also fails to accept his own responsibility for his situation.  Guys like Paulo Thiago, Junior Dos Santos, and Frankie Edgar all entered the UFC as sacrificial lambs for better known fighters, but forced their way into Zuffa's plans by turning in stellar performances.  If Heath had taken care of business like those guys did, Zuffa would have made him 'one of their guys' too. 
2/14/10 3:55 PM
threestars35

Herring has a point
2/14/10 3:57 PM
Macedawgg
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Interesting that Chris Lytle is used as an example.  An extremely well rounded fighter, Lytle says to anyone who will listen it will be a "stand-and-bang" fight--come hell or high water, and he stays true to his word. . .

Insurance agents bring in "millions" in business?  That profit, or pool of assets? 
2/14/10 4:01 PM
studiocamp
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did anyone see The Great White Hype? I instantly thought of it from the thread title, underrated movie.
2/14/10 4:05 PM
nofatchicks

Edited: 02/14/10 4:07 PM
why do people complain that nobody gave them health insurance? Hes not an employee of Zuffa, he's esentially an independant contractor. Go buy your own fucking insurance. Fuck sake, the entitlement issues people have.

And apparently Zuffa is paying him "what he's worth" as he doesnt seem to have any higher offer for his services in the fight world. Looks like he's moved on, but bellyaching is poor form and un-manly.
2/14/10 4:23 PM
CindyO

HH must not have many sponsors.

Cindy
2/14/10 4:24 PM
awilson82
179 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sledhead - 
Timmy B - 

So he can make $40,000 for a fight after expenses. If he fights twice a year.... That is much more money then most Americans make. If he fights 3 times a year.... That is in the upper 10% of pay for an American employee.

That's kinda sad that only 10% of american employees make $120k/yr or more. I hope this isn't correct.
120k is alot of money. It also depends on where you live. If the cost of living is low then 40k/yr is plenty of cash to live pretty well on hell its more than I make but cost of living is low here.

2/14/10 4:33 PM
thforklift
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Way too deep a discussion all the sudden.
2/14/10 4:48 PM
Poindexter
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fighters deserve health insurance.
2/14/10 4:51 PM
Kid Salami
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CindyO -  HH must not have many sponsors.

Cindy

Another good point.  Fighting in the UFC gives fighters a better chance to make good money from sponsorships. More so than any other organization.

This is just another case of biting the hand that feeds you.  The guys they want to "push" are guys who are consistant potential champions and guys who can sell a card.  Unfortunately for Heath, he doesn't belong in either category.

I'm a big Herring fan, but let's not pretend he's a world beater here.  In fact, and this is not meant as fighter bashing, it's kind of dissapointing to watch him fight.  The guy has been in the game longer than most and his lack of improvement over the years is clearly evident.

2/14/10 4:52 PM
BJJkilla
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if heath retires from MMA, he'll be known as the guy brock lesnar rode like a horse.
2/14/10 4:53 PM
smartin
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The problem with the fighter pay scale is that even with sponsorships you need 6+ wins to get into decent money. I don't think unionization would ever work because you are never going to get the top flight fighters on board. The few big draw fighters are getting taken care of. All the Ufc has to do is secure the loyalty of their stars. Undercard guys are a dime a dozen. UFC has already shown that they can make chicken salad out of chicken shit with the Ultimate Fighter. There will always be somebody coming up willing to fight for a t-shirt and a bucket of chicken. People think 40k sounds like decent pay, and it is. If you are going to receive it annually with cost of living increases until you retire at 65. There is small handful of fighters who will ever see a 40k payday, and of those that do most will only make that for a few years. The smart ones are using their UFC exposure and notoriety to open gyms or other businesses that will carry them once their fighting days are over, but these individuals are rare. Most won't have a thing to show for their years in the cage.
2/14/10 4:56 PM
bshaw1979

He needs to put himself in the average joes shoes..Doing the daily grind year round just to make 40,000...Have him do that see what he thinks about making that for one fight.
2/14/10 4:56 PM
BROTHER WISDOM
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He hasn't fought since ufc 87?! Id be talkin a lot more shit than this. If the ufc isn't gonna use him then let him go so he can make some money in another org
2/14/10 4:57 PM
Macedawgg
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ib0x - I think it's safe to say herring is a demorat I mean democrat

Ronald Reagen was president of the Screen Actors Guild. 
2/14/10 5:03 PM
Sandy Pantz
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BLAF is a bigger draw than Heath
2/14/10 5:03 PM
Gullivers Travels

They brought Herring in with the intention of him adding depth to the heavyweight division, and instead he blew it. You don't put a fighter with his type of experience against someone like Jake O'Brien for no reason. His second fight was against Brad Imes, which he won, and then went on to blow a chance at a KO victory of Nogueira. The only elite fighter of those 3 is Nog...I would hardly consider it throwing him to the wolves when pitting him against O Brien and Imes.

Speaking of pushing Mir...were they pushing him over against Vera? Or against Brock (fight 1)? No, he worked incredibly hard to get back to a point no one thought possible, and has been dominating. Consider both Heath and Frank's fights against a similar opponent in Kongo, and tell me that they're "pushing" Mir.

It's called a "Win Bonus" for a reason. It seems like the Brock fight really took his soul.
2/14/10 5:04 PM
Gullivers Travels

BROTHER WISDOM - He hasn't fought since ufc 87?! Id be talkin a lot more shit than this. If the ufc isn't gonna use him then let him go so he can make some money in another org

He hasn't fought because he doesn't want to. He said that he wanted to take time off and do movies, and apparently wants to continue doing so.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.