UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> I had no idea!

2/15/10 2:53 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
No Love
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just want to apologize for such a shitty performance at King of the Cage last weekend. I went into the fight with a minor sinus infection but had no idea what was in store. The day of the fight I was warming up in the cage for a few minutes felt decent and ready to go. Me and Travis were called in the back to see the doc and I spit up some flem but it was a handful of blood. I thought it was due to my sinus infection and just blew it off. I have never been so CRIPPLED IN A FIGHT in my life! I could not even move in the second round. My chest felt like it was going to explode. I came home Sunday and seen my physician today and he said I had altitude sickness. I have never even heard of this before and had no idea. This was the worst fight of my career and I truly feel embarrassed.

Thanks for my sponsors Full Tilt and TCB for there support.
2/15/10 3:00 PM
Chris
350 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

never heard of it. sounds pretty tough to deal with. Regardless you'll be back strong Rich.
2/15/10 3:07 PM
damaebushi
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not sure what may or may not be on the list of banned substances, but some people I know who go on skiing trips get a med from their dr. prior to leaving to counter altitude sickness.  If you (or anyone) is taking a fight @ significant altitude and have not been able to train @ or near that altitude to get aclimated, it would be worth looking into.

Respectfully:

Fred
2/15/10 3:09 PM
JOB
124 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's ok man - you'll bounce back from this. Stay positive! You don't have to apologise to anyone for having balls to step in the cage.
2/15/10 3:13 PM
mmascrapsradio
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was wondering what happened.  You'll get it right next time man, keep strong! 
2/15/10 3:16 PM
Fightin_Chance
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sucks to be blindsided by something like that

best of luck in the future

2/15/10 3:17 PM
tumn

Shit happens, people know you're a top notch fighter.
2/15/10 3:27 PM
mayhem13
222 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You will be back man, no need to apologize to anyone man..leep us updated on your next fight!

And also for those who saw, who won the Kyle v Wiuff fight
2/15/10 3:30 PM
shootfightermike
702 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i still love ya rich
2/15/10 3:32 PM
alvo69
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

first time I went to Denver, I stepped off the plane, sneezed, and sent a shower of blood all over my hand and shirt.  You are are a warrior, and lived to fight another day, just be glad you weren't at Thermopylae.
2/15/10 3:34 PM
BushidoAristotle
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Don't worry No Love, your fans still love you.
2/15/10 3:41 PM
Heddy
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rich,

It's pretty common especially if you aren't acclimated with high altitude. I lived in Mammoth Lakes for 7 years and my first week there, I was very ill. We had a lot of top notch athletes that would come a couple of weeks in advanced to get used to it. One bit of advice for anyone is to double your water intake. Below is some information for future reference:

What is high-altitude or mountain sickness?

Sometimes people get sick at high altitudes, such as in the mountains. This is called mountain sickness or high-altitude sickness.

What causes this problem?

Lack of oxygen causes high-altitude sickness. As altitude increases, the air becomes "thinner," which means less oxygen is in the atmosphere. You get less oxygen in your lungs with each breath, so the amount of oxygen in your blood declines. (This is called hypoxia) (hi-POKS'e-ah). All people can experience mountain sickness, but it may be more severe in people who have heart or lung problems.

What are the symptoms?

Symptoms usually begin within 48 hours of arriving at high altitude. The higher the altitude, the greater the effects. People can notice effects when they go to an altitude of 7,000 to 8,000 feet. If you have heart disease (such as heart failure) or lung disease (such as emphysema), you may have symptoms at lower altitudes. Symptoms include

• headaches, breathlessness, fatigue
  • nausea or vomiting
  • inability to sleep
  • swelling of the face, hands and feet

Both heart rate and breathing rate increase as the body tries to send more oxygen to its tissues. At very high altitudes, body fluid can leak into the brain (called brain or cerebral edema) or into the lungs (pulmonary edema). Both these conditions can be serious or even life-threatening.

AHA Recommendation

The best way to avoid or lessen the effects of mountain sickness is to increase altitude slowly. Climbers and hikers can take two days to reach 8,000 feet, and then another day for each 1,000 to 2,000 higher feet. This may not be an option for people who travel to a destination at high altitude. Most people can adjust or "acclimatize" to the high altitude within a few days. Here are some tips:

• Avoid strenuous activity for the first day or two.
  • Drink extra fluid.
  • Be careful of drinking alcohol.  Its effect is magnified at high altitude.
  • Your doctor may prescribe medication to help prevent or treat altitude sickness.

If you have a heart or lung condition, consult your physician before going to high altitude. He or she can tell you whether your condition will let your body adjust to the lower oxygen in the atmosphere.

2/15/10 3:41 PM
Heddy

And best of luck as you are one of my favorite fighters to watch.

2/15/10 3:42 PM
DaSquidge
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Man that sounds horrible, better luck next time out. What's the deal with this "altitude sickness"? Is it something that just occurs random or can it be something you suffer from regularly? Hopefully not the latter.
2/15/10 4:30 PM
torquemada
266 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No apologies needed; good luck with the next one...
2/15/10 4:32 PM
JimmersonzGlove
480 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought both you and your opponent looked good while it lasted. Good fight...hope to see you back soon.
2/15/10 4:53 PM
Archer0545

I've been there, it is not fun.  You can't believe how bad it makes you feel.  Acclimitization is the key.
2/15/10 5:03 PM
Smith1234
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No worries, looks like he got Brennan too. He's finished two of the top fighters on our site.
2/15/10 7:41 PM
caliguy0906

Get better Bro, get um next time
2/15/10 8:31 PM
fabes
156 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Been a fan of Rich since I saw his fight with Henry Matamoros. One of the nicest guys in the sport.

Come back strong next time!
2/15/10 9:02 PM
FCFBlazer

TTT, everyone gets caught I'm sure. 
2/15/10 9:06 PM
Rand McPherson
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you have lost ZERO fans on this one, rich.

i pity the fool who fights him next.
2/15/10 9:12 PM
joe canada
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Went to Bogata, Columbia, and felt like a bag of A33holes. I can't imagine what it would have been like to train in that.
2/15/10 9:20 PM
FCFBlazer

and get well soon!
2/15/10 10:30 PM
The Upgrade

get better man!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.