UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Nog was the #2 Fighter of the Decade

2/17/10 9:47 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
NoPlacebo
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The greatness of Fedor is built in large part on the greatness of Minotauro. Herring, Coleman, Crocop, Sylvia. Werdum (If Fedor faces him next) all fell to Mino first. Mino has even beat another great in Barnett that Fedor has not faced yet. Fedor cannot be surpassed currently (apart from the whole virtually undefeated thing of course) because no one else has a Minotauro in their division to build their legacy on. GSP is the closest with Hughes but he's stumbled along the way with losses to Hughes and Serra.
2/17/10 12:06 PM
JimmersonzGlove
394 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus -  luvs me some WB

fixed
2/17/10 12:28 PM
whistleblower
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/17/10 12:41 PM
Kimbos Beard - Agreed, his only comp is Wandy, imo.

Wand had the added advantage of not fighting in the biggest weight class, so he could move up and challenge some of the badasses there and do well which adds to his legacy.

Wanderlei is definitely up there as well. (Although not quite ahead of Nog, who not only stayed at the highest-level of his division even longer than Wanderlei did, but beat more top opponents while losing fewer times throughout the decade. Plus, while Nog himself is also slower and less sharp than he was at his physical peak - he still deteriorated even less so than Wanderlei did as the decade ended. Nog still stayed an elite contender, at the championship and top-5 level throughout - while Wanderlei was no longer so.)

Wanderlei without question did have one of the most dominant runs of the decade - and actually unparalleled longevity at the top of the 205 division. Easily one of the top fighters of the decade.

He and Chuck would be the two foremost defining, dominant forces from 205 for the 2000's, a cut above everyone else there - with Wanderlei in fact being the longest-reigning Champion and top-3 fighter of that division for that decade. Much like Nog and his preeminent consistency at HW.
2/17/10 12:46 PM
whistleblower
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DannyOcean - great read, and yes, Nog is definitively the #2 fighter of the decade.

I'd have him at #3 all time, behind Fedor and Sak.

Completely reasonable. If you span the entire history of MMA (i.e., including the 90's), Sakuraba is almost without question one of the 5 greatest ever, and very, very reasonably top-3.

The only thing that really excludes Sakuraba from the discussion here is the specific confines of the decade itself - since many of his best wins actually came before 2000 (e.g., Conan, Vitor, Braga, Newton, Royler). And 2000 then turned out to be his last supremely dominant year. (Where his unprecedented run - without question the greatest-ever up to that point - really then ended in 2001.)

But still, even 2000 alone for Sak was truly epic in itself - one of the greatest, most historically significant years ever. Up through the end of that year, going into 2001, there was virtually no question that Sak had surpassed everyone who came before him, and was the greatest-ever at that point. But he was then in decline for much of the rest of that decade.
2/17/10 12:51 PM
orcus
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"was it really necessary for you to make that post?"

Yes.

"
  if you don't like whistleblower's thread then why click on them?"

For some reason Ignore only blocks posts, not threads, and I was curious to see what brilliant insights he had this time.
2/17/10 1:02 PM
Treadlite82
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/17/10 1:02 PM
Good thing Brock didn't enter MMA earlier.
Treadlite82
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Troll^
whistleblower

orcus - It's fantastic, hilarious, and depressing all at the same time that he made a huge, long-winded post about the "second best figher ever", and glossed over or did not mention at all any of the things that REALLY make Nog great, like his toughness, his perseverance, his determination to keep looking for a finish no matter how badly he's getting beaten, his skill, his classiness, and his just plain good nature.

Congratulations - you just described Scott Smith. By the exact same criteria you listed - "his toughness, his perseverance, his determination to keep looking for a finish no matter how badly he's getting beaten, his skill, his classiness, and his just plain good nature" - Scott Smith should, by your own specific definition of "what REALLY make [someone] great," thus likewise be on track to be the #2 Fighter of the Decade. So are you sure those are really the particular factors that "REALLY make Nog great" (like Scott Smith) - more so than Nog's long-term dominance, his continuing success against top opponents, and his unsurpassed, elite consistency as #1 and then top-3 in the world?

If so, that's sure "fantastic, hilarious, and depressing all at the same time," all right.

And btw, orcus - what happened to all your showy, emphatic claims about having me on ignore all this time? Remember that act? How many times over the last year or two have you gone out of your way to state that you were "ignoring" me - only to then respond directly to me (with no one else quoting me first), even after making that claim? What is this, like the third or fourth time over the last year that this has happened - where you've suddenly, selectively "un-ignored" me? Right.

At least you can finally drop that convenient little pretense now. (Don't worry, though, I never believed it anyway. Because you sure as heck were doing a great job of "ignoring" me this whole time, haven't you. So either you've just kept repeatedly ignoring and then un-ignoring me - which would make you a weak, oscillating bitch - or you're just a liar. Either one seems plausible enough, though, since it would be entirely in keeping with your overall weasel character.

Yeah, yeah, orcus, I know, I know - I'm back on "ignore" again, right? Ha-ha. Funny how selectively that "ignore" button seems to work for you. See you next post.)
2/17/10 1:07 PM
TheKidAintMine
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
2/17/10 1:21 PM
pigpen
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wow great post wb

I always like your threads

and who can NOT like nog?
2/17/10 1:22 PM
pigpen

and damn orcus, hate much?

maybe he should have included things about nog's demeaanor and toughness and humble attitude.  that's not reason to tear apart what he wrote, though, because what he wrote was an interesting read
2/17/10 1:38 PM
orcus

" that's not reason to tear apart what he wrote, though, because what he wrote was an interesting read"

It was? Was there anyone on the planet who didn't think Nog was the best when Fedor beat him, didn't think he was the second best thereafter and only arguably lost the spot at times when he lost to Barnett or Mir, and doesn't have one of or possibly the best record of opposition in the sport? How does going to webarchive.org and looking up old MMAWeeklys and other sites to check out ancient "universal rankings" add anything of interest?

What did his post tell you that you didn't already know? Which part interested you?

The guy is a loathsome robot. He posts thousands of words on the subject of MMA, without ever actually analysing how a fight might go down, or giving his picks on an upcoming matchup, or talking about fights in ANY light other than "rankings". As far as I know he has never once made a comment along the lines of "I'm looking forward to this fight because of how these guys matchup" or because "this guy is my favorite fighter"; it's ALWAYS "this fight is important because this guy is #2 by virtue of beating blah blah in that org and that guy is #3 by virtue of beating the linear #3 established in Shooto 11 years ago".

You would never even know, from any of his posts, if he ever actually watches fights at all -- much less enjoys them -- or if he only looks at W-L charts. Have you ever even seen him mention, before or after the fact, any fight or fighter that didn't have some kind of rankings "significance"? I don't think I have.
2/17/10 1:56 PM
GC111

Tombmatter - Except the dumbasses started their calendar from 1 A.D, so technically decade really ends in 2011. But yeah, I agree about Nog.

I thought it ends in Dec 31, 2010.
2/17/10 1:58 PM
whistleblower

Orcus seems upset. It's like he's been previously, repeatedly raped or something...
2/17/10 2:04 PM
disbeliever
256 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lmfao @ orcus, just wow.
2/17/10 2:14 PM
mikecard

EckY - 
NotTheNoobURLooking4 - The decade isn't over until Dec. 31, 2010.

You are wrong.

A decade is 10 years, 2000 - 2009 is 10 years as 2000 is the first year of the decade, with 2009 being the last.

And whistleblower is correct, Nog is the 2nd greatest of this decade.

technically you're wrong. There was no year zero. You start at year 1. But in the parlance of our times, a decade is 0-9 even though mathematically it's incorrect.
2/17/10 2:17 PM
mikecard

disbeliever - lmfao @ orcus, just wow.

this
2/17/10 3:00 PM
orcus

Kimbos Beard - LOL, you would think Orcus would just avoid WB's threads by now.

If forum debates were real fights, Orcus would be the Sylvia to WB's Fedor.

Or more like Tito to WB's Chuck, considering how many times he's been tooled only to get up and start running his big ignorant mouth again.

Some examples of said tooling?
2/17/10 3:08 PM
Telamon
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Monsters Ball - It's funny but the 2 top guys of the decade may be two of the classier guys in the sport also.

Nog is awesome.
2/17/10 3:42 PM
Kakkarotto_san
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol at orcus getting continually owned by WB.
2/17/10 3:49 PM
orcus

I'm still not hearing any examples of this owning. It shouldn't be hard to come up with a bunch of them since supposedly it happens all the time.
2/17/10 3:59 PM
orcus

Not sure what you're talking about. His first post had nothing to do with me or anything I've said, and I don't know what he said in his subsequent posts.

Again, please be specific.
2/17/10 4:01 PM
Lord Kancho
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus -  
The guy is a loathsome robot.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

Experiment, guys: type the word Fedor in your posts and see how long it takes for Orcus to shit on him.
2/17/10 4:04 PM
orcus

At least I would "shit" on him with opinion and analysis of things that actually happen in his fights (whether you think it's right or wrong), and not by rattling off the W-L column from an Excel spreadsheet.
2/17/10 4:07 PM
Lord Kancho
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So basically you'd spread your insanity insead of sticking to fact. That's an awesome system.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.