UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Fedor: Something broke in Crocop

2/17/10 9:33 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

"I think that in that time Mirko was in his best form," Fedor said of their epic battle at Pride Final Conflict 2005. "He was in good physical shape and he was on a psychological lift. He was a very interesting fighter. He had great potential. Now something happened to him. and he does not have either the physical condition or mental attitude."

"There is something that broke in him and he is not the same fighter as he was before, This is evident on his style of fighting and on his look during the fight. I don't know how to explain. ... You know when a person goes into the ring to win, or at least not to lose. I mean, when a fighter is ready and goes to fight than it can be seen by his look. Regardless of whether he gets hit or not, he goes forward and regardless of whether he wins or loses, he wants to go forward, and it is clear from his burning eyes."

"But it also happens that a fighter does not want to -- not even to win, but he wants to get out of here so quickly as possible, out of the ring, out of the cage, with any result of the fight."

2/17/10 9:45 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Juhana
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

These days it's just sad to see cro-cop fight.
2/17/10 9:48 AM
ajsr
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's hard to describe what's happened to CC, he's so fucking timid in there. I keep watching hoping we'll see the real Mirko but at this point I just can't see it happening.
2/17/10 9:59 AM
ajsr
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fiercedragon - maybe it's just consistant high level competition...

No way I'm biting on that lol
2/17/10 10:07 AM
crazydave
188 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fiercedragon - maybe it's just consistant high level competition...
2/17/10 10:11 AM
canuck34
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I really hope to see some of the old Mirko against Big Ben.

I hope he is ready to fight everywhere, including off his back.

If he has another lack luster apprearance then I really hope the UFC releases him and we don't see him again.
2/17/10 10:25 AM
epwar
638 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fedor talks big from a distance. I suspect if he came to the UFC, he would be sporting a similar record to Mirko's 2-3.
2/17/10 10:28 AM
Zedlepln
226 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If the old Vitor can be the new Vitor again, I have hope for Mirko.

It's a shame that those unfamiliar with Pride haven't even seen flashes of the beast that he used to be.

2/17/10 10:59 AM
Telamon
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fedor is spot on and the same can be said about Mark Kerr. He loses to guys now that he would that beaten within seconds before.

It's not the lack of steroids either; it's the lack of spirit.
2/17/10 11:04 AM
duckrabbit
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cro Cop explained this himself didn't he? The guys who train you can't be employee sycophants blowing sunshine up your ass 24/7. You need honest trainers who will push you and call you on it when you fuck the dog.
2/17/10 11:06 AM
goku

get with the program fedro...its called "stealing the warrior spirit"
2/17/10 11:21 AM
Ramon Maroni

epwar - Fedor talks big from a distance. I suspect if he came to the UFC, he would be sporting a similar record to Mirko's 2-3.

Yeah okay
2/17/10 11:30 AM

Crocop these days remind me of how Pedro Rizzo turned out. Rizzo was the number one contender in UFC for so long. He had his bout cancelled against Randleman, then lost to Randleman by decision, then he got his shot against Randy twice with first one almost going his way. but since that 2nd loss to Randy, he was never the same fighter. Timid and gun shy, not the beast he used to be.

Crocop lost that fire and motivation, he once had.
2/17/10 11:34 AM
Humboldt JuiJitsu
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

True or not, this is how Fedor sees it, and he knows infinitely more than any of us about both Mirko as well as fighting in general.  The awesome thing about the human body, mind, heart and spirit is that what is broken can be made new again.

I get goosebumps imagining Fedor saying this though:
"when a fighter is ready and goes to fight than it can be seen by his look. Regardless of whether he gets hit or not, he goes forward and regardless of whether he wins or loses, he wants to go forward, and it is clear from his burning eyes."
2/17/10 11:36 AM
Up With Evil
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

epwar - Fedor talks big from a distance. I suspect if he came to the UFC, he would be sporting a similar record to Mirko's 2-3.
It's true, that's why he ducked Tim Sylvia and Andrei Arlovski for so long.

2/17/10 11:38 AM
disbeliever
333 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Everyone, meet orcus's new troll account
2/17/10 12:03 PM
sureshock

ttt
2/17/10 1:37 PM
whistleblower
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fiercedragon - maybe it's just consistant high level competition...

Yeah, because Fedor, Nog, Barnett 3x, Herring, Igor, Aleksander, Coleman, Randleman, Wanderlei, and Hunt were not "high level competition" at the time. Unreal.

Yeah, Cro Cop also faced some not so "high level competition," in between the "high level" ones - but he was also fighting 4-8 times a year in Pride, and at least 2-3 of those times were generally against "high level competition" each year. Which is actually more "consistant high level competition" than he has faced in the UFC.
epwar - Fedor talks big from a distance. I suspect if he came to the UFC, he would be sporting a similar record to Mirko's 2-3.

If anything, Fedor has a direct, firsthand basis to "talk big" about Mirko in particular - because it certainly wasn't "from a distance" when he actually faced, even stood up with, and decisively beat Mirko when Mirko was still in his full prime.

And does anyone actually disagree with what Fedor specifically said - and really think Cro Cop still looks the same as (or even close to) what he used to, previously in his career? He now tries to flailingly push his opponents instead of actually strike and decisively blast them like he used to.

Even if you want to look at just ring fights in Japan, where he dominated in his heyday - just look at how Cro Cop looked against Alistair (in a ring, in Japan), compared to how he looked 4 years ago and beyond. Was the Cro Cop who was now getting bullied around and manhandled by Alistair anything like the one who used to be a monster in that same ring - who used to just shrug bigger guys off in the clinch and stalk his opponents with a sense of impunity?

Fedor is completely correct - "Now something happened to him. and he does not have either the physical condition or mental attitude. There is something that broke in him and he is not the same fighter as he was before, This is evident on his style of fighting and on his look during the fight."
2/17/10 1:45 PM
Kirpove

PLEASE stop posting. I'll pay you.
2/17/10 1:52 PM
NorthFromHere
309 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CC has been fighting pro since 1996. Dude is just shot from all the wars over the years. He'll beat Rothwell then lose to some top contender and that's it.
2/17/10 1:54 PM
Hansumboy

Edited: 02/17/10 1:55 PM
Fedor started fighting in kickboxing as a teenager. He´s taken a lot of punishment in his career not to mention sparring hard weekly. This type of shit just wears on ones body. Whats he had? Over 60 kickboxing fights and over 30 MMA fights. He´s 35 years old.

He´s washed up, it sucks but it happens to everyone.
2/17/10 1:54 PM
JimmersonzGlove
504 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ib0x - I know what happened. The MMA talent pool has surpassed CC. This isn't 2002 anymore and these pride products need to realize that. MMA is evolving rapidly. The UFC has exposed pride for what i've thought all along, and fedor fighting in the UFC would be no different than CC.

You saw how he did against brett "tire changing " rodgers. Imagine if that was any of the top 10 UFC HW's?

People also get old...even if its not in age it's in fight years. Who were the top guys in the UFC when Mirko was in his prime and how are they doing now? Chuck? Tito? Hughes?
2/17/10 2:25 PM
GC111

Fedor said this right after the Gonzaga fight how he'll never recover psychologically. My how he was right!
2/17/10 2:33 PM
KahL
96 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

IrishRomo - Gonzaga fucked Mirkos world up. It must of shattered his confidence. Also the unfortunate groin strikes he suffered to Kongo where he would of won. And then the beat down to Overeem.

He cant pull the trigger anymore and it doesnt help that his athletic capabilities have diminshed. But the reason I will always support him is he hasnt given up. He is going to fight this week.

It is possible the trainings in Holland have lit a fire under him and he has gotten some of his fighting instinct back. Please god.

I'm with you 100% on this prayer :-(
2/17/10 2:48 PM
Dr Gonzo
190 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone who thinks Mirko's decline is due to better competition or the others in the division catching up to him are crazy. Mirko from 2005 would wreck house in the UFC but sadly he is not at that level anymore.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.