UnderGround Forums

Wrestling UnderGround >> Wrestling for kids?

2/17/10 11:43 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
acid jazz
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How intense is wrestling for kids? My son is 5. Still haven't decided what kind of sport I am going to put him in.

Is wrestling relatively safe for young kids?
2/17/10 11:49 PM
Wet
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Of course its safe.
Just go out and buy him a plastic bag to put on while he's in the sauna cutting weight for his next match.
2/17/10 11:56 PM
wrestlerguy04
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not intense at all, mostly just rolling around. Very. very cool to watch though.
2/18/10 8:18 AM
acid jazz
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks. I will look into it. Haven't decided yet on Judo, BJJ or wrestling.
2/18/10 9:45 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/21/10 5:25 PM
 Be warned that your son will cry. but as you'll see all first year wrestlers cry. - The first time you have to physically engage another person in a serious manner is an adrenaline dump, stressful etc.  Probably up until this time any contact with others has been playful and smiley.. so the first time he has to wrestle another kid who whoops his ass, it's going to be a physical and mental orderal. 

Junior is going to learn more about mental toughness and not giving up and how to try his best in the first year than anything about technique. This may happen once, this may happen all season, but it will stop.

and that's one of the best gifts you could ever give him. 
2/19/10 6:40 AM
acid jazz

Bull_in_chinashop -  Be warned that your son will cry. but as you'll see all first year wrestlers cry. - The first time you have to physically engage another person in a serious manner is an adrenaline dump, stressful etc.  Probably up until this time any contact with others has been playful and smiley.. so the fist time he has to wrestle another kid who whoops his ass, it's going to be a physical and mental orderal.  Junior is going to learn more about mental toughness and not giving up and how to try his best in the first year than anything about technique. This may happen once, this may happen all season, but it will stop.

and that's one of the best gifts you could ever give him.
Thank you for the heads up. Maybe I better not bring my wife to the practices.
2/19/10 8:50 AM
thebigkahuna
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not all kids cry the first time they have to wrestle. Some do, in my experience most don't. Particularly kids from big families, with older or even younger brothers, may be completely comfortable in the situation.
2/19/10 10:48 AM
acid jazz

thebigkahuna - Not all kids cry the first time they have to wrestle. Some do, in my experience most don't. Particularly kids from big families, with older or even younger brothers, may be completely comfortable in the situation.
Good to know. My kid is an only kid, so he has a better chance of crying. He wrestles me, but of course I let him win.
2/19/10 6:09 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As I said there will be lots of other boys going thru the same thing so it's really no big deal. just be there to support him and he'll be just fine. I've taught with several biddy wrestling programs as I was coming up and it's just par for the course lots of tears at first but they are almost always tears of frustration/nerves rarely tears of actual hurt.

Just tell him to go out there have fun and do his best!
4/2/10 1:51 AM
ironbear
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bull your right. I hate watching this year, my son is 8 and it is painful for the both of us. I am afraid he will quite on me.
4/3/10 11:14 PM
Bull_in_chinashop

Yeah it's rough sometimes.  Keep him motivated, make sure that he understands you don't care about winning and losing, what matters is trying your best. when you try your best the winning will come!  so make sure to praise his efforts, not his wins.

4/6/10 12:19 AM
ironbear
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ok I will. I wrestled at home with him for a long time I took him to Jim Humphreys camp in Fishers,IN and he got it put to him in a 6 hr clinic. Bad choice on my part. I thin he was tramatized after that. The kids were well advanced.
4/6/10 12:22 AM
Bull_in_chinashop

Yep, Wrestling camps are very much for experienced kids!
4/12/10 4:49 PM
Krupp

I had a friend, he was a hell of a wrestler. He was my primary wrestling partner when I was in high school, and when I transferred schools, he became my primary rival. He was a kid when he first started wrestling. He started at the age of five. It almost seemed like his body was built for wrestling, and you could give him the credit that years of wrestling caused his body to adapt, and become very muscular and efficient at the anaerobic demands of the sport.

I think wrestling is completely safe for a five year old. I plan on pushing my child in that direction, when I have a kid, anyway. Let your child try it, and see how it works out! The good news is that at a young age, children's wrestling is not the same intensity that you will begin to see in high school and college, so your child will be safe. It will also teach your child invaluable lessons about hard work ethic in sports, unlike so many different sports these days... Sorry, I know that sounds ignorant haha, I just think combat sports are the best.
4/16/10 12:26 PM
ChipW
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This past season was my sons second year. He started at 6 but I have seen them as young as 4. Like others have said, it’s a little rough at first but it doesn’t take them long to start getting some confidence and get a little success.

In some larger cities you can find programs that go year round. Atlanta has the Wrestling Academy which runs year round. Folkstyle season, then freestyle/grecco, then preseason conditioning then back to folk style. That seems a little extreme to me but some of those kids seem to love it. They definitely get good results.
4/16/10 9:09 PM
hugomma
847 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great thread, thanks guys. My son is 5 & we play wrestle all the time, & I don't always let him win, we split it 50/50. In fact, when it's time for bed or time to do something else, I start beating him consecutively LOL, as quick as I can, till he's tired of it. He loves it, to the point where I have to stop him randomly trying to wrestle 7 & 8 year old kids much bigger than him.

When he turns 7, I was gonna enroll him in 6 week judo course at the local Y to see if he likes it & go from there. Now I'm thinking about starting him earlier. I don't want him to burn out thought, I'd rather he enjoy as much of it as he can while he learns what he can about mental toughness.

This thread has been very informative, & any other tips or pointers would highly appreciated. Thanks guys.
5/1/10 6:44 AM
HuntingtonPUNK

pointers are you already had him miss a season when he could have been wrestling and screw Judo

having him there now will have an immediate positive on his mental toughness and everything else. Kids are already gnarly at 5, they train 2-3x week/2hr classes and compete on weekends

10/12/10 3:32 PM
Bull_in_chinashop

ttt for Empire
10/13/10 11:24 AM
TitanBJJ

hi
10/30/10 6:43 PM
Empire
137 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

thanks BIC.

no hard feelings from the green gi thread.
10/31/10 2:49 AM
Bull_in_chinashop

none at all! it's the internet. nothing personal.
11/13/10 10:19 PM
EasyTapper
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just started my 5yo in wrestling. We have two weeks under our belt so far (3 x a week, 2 hours a practice). We've had tears every night (he is a bit of a cry baby though). Most times from being "hurt". I'm intent on making him stick with it. If he want's to not do it next season, that's fine, but I feel he needs to finish what he starts (esp.considering he's a bit on the lazy side and tends to run from challenges instead of facing them head on).
11/21/10 1:20 PM
chúcaro

as Bull stated.. its def something that they are scared to do at first, its just not natural to engage with someone at that age.. Keep it fun and keep telling him the outcome is not important, Just have fun. It helps to get his friends in there too.. this will be my 7yr olds 3 yr.

Bull.., what would you recommend to have him drill at this age (7yr)????

end of last season he started to really get the hang of pulling/picking feet up on kids on their bellys to keep them there.. then pulling the half to try to pin
11/21/10 5:24 PM
Bull_in_chinashop

7? K.I.S.S. imho  :)  little bit of hand fighting, get a snapdown, a head tap to a double leg and teach him how to turn the corner after the sprwawl his his head and post leg.

an inside single to a finish.
sit out turn in drill, helicopter drill, switch drill.

and just have fun!
1/9/11 8:27 PM
Jspiceman

acid - did you start you son in wrestling? if so, will you give us a recap of his first year?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.